|08 Nov 2011||#1|
Japanese fonts not displaying in programs
Here's the problem I'm having:
Even though the Meiryo & Meiryo UI (Japanese) fonts are enabled, they still shows up as little squares in word documents(notepad, etc.) and in song titles(iTunes, Winamp, etc.). However, I can view and type Japanese just fine in web browsers(Chrome, IE, etc.)
Here's the weird part, when I open up the fonts window and click "hide" for both Meiryo and Meiryo UI and then click "show" to enable them, once I restart the computer, I can type and view Japanese just fine...for that session. Once I restart the computer again, the problem returns(they're still enabled), and I have to repeat the process.
Thanks in advance :D
OS: Windows 7 Home Premium x64
|My System Specs|
|08 Nov 2011||#2|
Please see this post and try if it works for you.
Chinese characters display as squares in text editors
Solution: Create a new user account in your computer, login to the new account and try ...
Please post back if this has solved your problem.
|My System Specs|
|08 Nov 2011||#3|
The problem is resolved, unfortunately I cannot say for sure if creating the second account fixed it.
Here's what happened:
After creating this thread, I disabled/re-enabled the fonts, as well as re-check marking the "Hide fonts based on language settings" under Font settings < Fonts (I unchecked this yesterday as one of my attempts to fix this issue), then I restarted the computer and it worked(as it should). The problem came back once I restarted, so I dismissed that setting, but didn't think to re-enable it.
Then I read your post, created a second account, and checked to see if the font worked in the new account AND my current account. It did, but then I remembered I used my disable/enable temp fix, so I restarted the computer and checked both accounts, it still worked. Then I shut down the computer for one minute and checked again, still worked. Then I deleted the new account and restarted the computer, and it still worked.
So either it was disabling "Hide fonts based on language settings", restarting, re-enabling it, and restarting again that fixed it, or creating the second account fixed it. I'm really stumped, I have no idea why creating a second account would fix it, and I can only guess that disabling/enabling the "Hide fonts based on..." box reset something. Either way, my problem was fixed somewhere in the process.
Sorry for making this complicated, I just don't want to say, "Yes, that fixed my problem!" when other variables were at play.
Thanks for you help
I'll post back if I run into a problem again. For all I know, and for whatever reason, maybe it's only working temporarily
|My System Specs|
|Similar help and support threads for2: Japanese fonts not displaying in programs|
|IE 9 blank only with cursor and no fonts displaying||Browsers & Mail|
|MS Paint only displaying a limited number of fonts||General Discussion|
|Diskpart not in English. Displaying Chinese or Japanese characters||Installation & Setup|
|Windows 7 isn't displaying foreign fonts correctly||General Discussion|
|Publisher 2010 isn't displaying fonts properly||Microsoft Office|
|Opentype fonts not displaying||General Discussion|
Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.
© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:42.