Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Windows 7...why?

17 Nov 2011   #91
apogee07

 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by logicearth View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by apogee07 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by logicearth View Post
Input devices...you mean these:
Exactly. They are blanked out. The drop down list is blank in W7.
Blank on your computer maybe. The speaker icon on the bottom right of the taskbar, right-click it go to "Recording Devices" then when there right-click in the middle of the pane. "Show Disabled/Disconnected Devices" are both checked.

If you have no devices that means you have not installed the proper drivers. Windows 7 supports input devices just fine.
Those links have me bewildered. I don't have the technical knowledge to follow the content. And which drivers do I require?

Here is a screen shot. with the blank inputs and the "speaker" icon showing only mike inputs which still do not show up in audacity input devices.




My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
17 Nov 2011   #92
logicearth

Windows 10 Pro (x64)
 
 

Its blank because you have nothing plugged into the Microphone port.
Aka. Disconnected. Plug in a microphone and it should show up.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
17 Nov 2011   #93
smarteyeball

 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Kari View Post

These threads about how much better XP was and what's wrong with Seven seem to re-surface every few months.
Every few months tends to fit with every new 'forced' XP>7' migration.

And here is a convenient example ▼

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by seavixen32 View Post

Last week she retired her worn out laptop and bought a new one with Windows 7 installed.

The only difference being how set in some ways users are.

And like most of these threads, some of the complaints are very valid , yet the end result is invariably shown that despite the complaints, the pros of Seven show that it is the better Operating System overall.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

17 Nov 2011   #94
DeaconFrost

Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by lehnerus2000 View Post
There is almost no reason why a new PC, can't successfully simulate an old GUI.
But why would you want a computer of today, with all this power, showing us a DOS prompt once we boot? Or, better yet, a blank screen with a program icon labeled Program Manager?

Why do treat computers differently than everything else? Vehicle dhasboards, ATMs, TV guides, phones, POS stations, gas station pumps.....everything we interface with in our daily lives change and we adapt....so why is it an issue that computers follow the same pattern?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
17 Nov 2011   #95
lehnerus2000

W7 Ultimate SP1, LM18 MATE, W10IP VM, W10 Home, #All 64 bit
 
 
P stands for "Personal"

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by DeaconFrost View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by lehnerus2000 View Post
There is almost no reason why a new PC, can't successfully simulate an old GUI.
But why would you want a computer of today, with all this power, showing us a DOS prompt once we boot? Or, better yet, a blank screen with a program icon labeled Program Manager?
I wouldn't, but some people do ("Real" Linux users for example).

You're missing the point.
A personal computer should suit the user (or be easily configured to suit the user).

The users shouldn't constantly have to reconfigure themselves, every time some marketing nincompoop decides that the time is right for more gouging.

Have you read MS's excuses as to why they can't provide look-alike legacy GUIs?
They are complete garbage.

A modern PC should be able to run:
  • Multiple copies of XP simultaneously.
  • Hundreds of DOS instances.
Simulating a 10 year old GUI should be a complete doddle.
Especially considering that MS produced the originals.

Many people have complained about the changes (98 vs XP vs Vista vs W7).
I still see people complaining that they can't have the Windows 98 Start menu!

Linux has countless desktop managers.
In fact, the Linux forums are full of people complaining about the awful new GUIs (Unity and Gnome 3).
Mint is forking Gnome 2, because so many users hate the new GUIs.

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by DeaconFrost View Post
Why do treat computers differently than everything else? Vehicle dhasboards, ATMs, TV guides, phones, POS stations, gas station pumps.....everything we interface with in our daily lives change and we adapt....so why is it an issue that computers follow the same pattern?
Almost every car has the same main dash layout (i.e. some dials in front of the driver).

Speedos have had a standard appearance for most of my life.
A dial with numbers on it and a needle to indicate the current speed.
Can you guess why?
It works.

Most car experts detest any variation such as digital readout.
Their reason is that numbers have to be read, whereas the needle position only requires a glance.

Perhaps every new model should swap the brake and accelerator pedal positions.
"User studies show that some accidents are caused by people, accidentally pushing the accelerator pedal, instead of the brake. By swapping the pedal positions, we have eliminated that possibility."
My System SpecsSystem Spec
17 Nov 2011   #96
pincushion

Windows 7 x64 SP1
 
 

Although this is hardly the thread to voice this - technology although advancing in many ways has not made things any easier to operate but seems to get more complicated as time progresses and there is mainly only one casualty - the elderly who are expected to understand and remember the new changes when memory is starting to get ever more fragile. I can usually manage with all new bits and bobs but if I want to operate things my way then why stop me even if the provider prefers I do it their way. Every electrical appliance it seems is menu-driven and not always logical as to where to find the right items - cameras, hi-fi, TVs etc.

Technology - who needs it!

ps Think there still are a few marbles left but they might be something else.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
17 Nov 2011   #97
DeaconFrost

Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by lehnerus2000 View Post
You're missing the point.
A personal computer should suit the user (or be easily configured to suit the user).
I think you are missing the point, to be honest. Microsoft simply cannot make a product that keeps everyone happy. No one can. If Windows 7 cost $50, and Microsoft put $100 bills in the box...people would still find something to whine and bitch about. Windows 7 is by far, the most configurable OS we've had from MS. Want the classic look? No problem.

Your viewpoint is of someone who's hiding behind a fear of change, rather than embracing it. If you look at it objectively, the main points of the UI are still there from Windows 95. You still launch programs from a button on the lower right. You still close them with an X in the upper right. It's flat out laughably to see people complain about having to adopt and adapt, because they all usually have no issues doing so, once they put their preconcieved notions aside and give it an honest shot.

Your car comments also miss some points. We can't even decide on a standard for which side of the car the gas tank should be. You know how frustrating it is to rent a car, and then stop for gas and realize you're on the wrong side...and the dashboard didn't give an indicator arrow? Some cars have digital guages for speed...no dials. That's a change. Some newer cars have HUD overlays...that aren't customizable. That's a change. Some cars have automatic wipers and headlights...some have knobs and dials that can be positioned anywhere. About the only two things that remain standard are the wheel and the turn signal placement. Everything else can vary from car to car....yet people still manage to survive.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
18 Nov 2011   #98
lehnerus2000

W7 Ultimate SP1, LM18 MATE, W10IP VM, W10 Home, #All 64 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by DeaconFrost View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by lehnerus2000 View Post
You're missing the point.
A personal computer should suit the user (or be easily configured to suit the user).
I think you are missing the point, to be honest. Microsoft simply cannot make a product that keeps everyone happy. No one can. If Windows 7 cost $50, and Microsoft put $100 bills in the box...people would still find something to whine and bitch about. Windows 7 is by far, the most configurable OS we've had from MS. Want the classic look? No problem.
Agreed.
Nobody has made a perfect product in any category.

The "classic look" isn't what most of those people are complaining about.
They are complaining about the "Start Menu".

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by DeaconFrost View Post
Your viewpoint is of someone who's hiding behind a fear of change, rather than embracing it.
That's a personal attack on me (and anybody else who doesn't agree with your opinion).

Right back at you ...
Your position seems to be that any opinion that doesn't match yours, is worthless.

Do you even bother to read what has been posted?
I assume that you don't, since you are misrepresenting my stated position.
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by lehnerus2000 View Post
At no time did I state that W7 was rubbish, in fact W7 is my preferred OS.
These days I only open XP on "Patch Tuesday" (Wednesday for me) or if I notice a program update (e.g. Foxit Reader).
My personal gripes about W7:
  • W7 does not respect "Read-only" file attributes (XP did).
  • Windows Explorer random auto-scroll bug. According to an alleged MS representative that is actually a design feature!
That is the sum total!

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by DeaconFrost View Post
If you look at it objectively, the main points of the UI are still there from Windows 95. You still launch programs from a button on the lower right. You still close them with an X in the upper right.
Agreed.

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by DeaconFrost View Post
It's flat out laughably to see people complain about having to adopt and adapt, because they all usually have no issues doing so, once they put their preconcieved notions aside and give it an honest shot.

Your car comments also miss some points. We can't even decide on a standard for which side of the car the gas tank should be. You know how frustrating it is to rent a car, and then stop for gas and realize you're on the wrong side...and the dashboard didn't give an indicator arrow?
OMG, you got frustrated by a pointless change?
You must be scared of change.

You are confusing worthwhile change (improvement) and worthless change (annoyance or degeneration).
Worthwhile change:
Improved reliability, stability and security.
Worthless change:
Resource hogging eye-candy, changing names and locations of functions (because marketing thinks the GUI should look different).
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by DeaconFrost View Post
Some cars have digital guages for speed...no dials. That's a change. Some newer cars have HUD overlays...that aren't customizable. That's a change.
Worthless change.
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by lehnerus2000 View Post
Most car experts detest any variation such as digital readout.
Their reason is that numbers have to be read, whereas the needle position only requires a glance.
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by DeaconFrost View Post
Some cars have automatic wipers and headlights...

Worthwhile change (it helps the user).

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by DeaconFrost View Post
some have knobs and dials that can be positioned anywhere.
Worthwhile change (easily configured user interface).

Cars are physical objects.
Once the parts for a car have been made, they are fixed in size, shape, weight, etc.
Further considerations, such as Government regulations, affect the configuration of the internal components.

GUIs are virtual objects.
The only limitations on them are coding time, imagination, money and system resources.
GUI parts be easily changed/substituted.

Almost all of the improvements in W7 could have been skinned with the XP GUI (probably even Windows 95 or Windows 98).
Note:
I am not saying that would have been an improvement.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
18 Nov 2011   #99
apogee07

 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by apogee07 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by seavixen32 View Post
We're not mind readers.

Telling us which application would be a start.

Personally, I'm just bemused at this Windows 7 sniping. The people in Redmond have really got their act together on this one.

As one who started with Windows 3.1, loved XP and choked on Vista, I find Windows 7 to be the best. Each morning I get to a working desktop within a minute of switching on, I have tweaked nothing and never will, and have got to a stage where it's going to take something pretty special to wean me off this fine operating system.

And no, I have no connection with Microsoft whatever. I'm just commenting as a satisfied user.
See my reply to gregrocker above.

apogee07
I think I found a decent filemanager It remembers some 30 recently accessed folders/files and you can create a list of bookmarks like favourites in W but without them being confounded with internet links. The dual panes is so much better than opening up two explorer panes separately
xplorer² lite: free windows explorer replacement (file manager)

apopgee07
My System SpecsSystem Spec
18 Nov 2011   #100
lehnerus2000

W7 Ultimate SP1, LM18 MATE, W10IP VM, W10 Home, #All 64 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by apogee07 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by apogee07 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by seavixen32 View Post
We're not mind readers.

Telling us which application would be a start.

Personally, I'm just bemused at this Windows 7 sniping. The people in Redmond have really got their act together on this one.

As one who started with Windows 3.1, loved XP and choked on Vista, I find Windows 7 to be the best. Each morning I get to a working desktop within a minute of switching on, I have tweaked nothing and never will, and have got to a stage where it's going to take something pretty special to wean me off this fine operating system.

And no, I have no connection with Microsoft whatever. I'm just commenting as a satisfied user.
See my reply to gregrocker above.

apogee07
I think I found a decent filemanager It remembers some 30 recently accessed folders/files and you can create a list of bookmarks like favourites in W but without them being confounded with internet links. The dual panes is so much better than opening up two explorer panes separately
xplorer² lite: free windows explorer replacement (file manager)

apopgee07
I use FreeCommander for mass file/folder renaming.

It also has various 2 pane layouts (with or without navigation trees).
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Windows 7...why?




Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 15:48.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App