Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Not able to create partition in windows 7 Home Basic 64bit


14 Nov 2011   #1

Windows 7 Home Basic 64bit x86
 
 
Not able to create partition in windows 7 Home Basic 64bit

I have windows 7 Home basic installed in my Laptop. When i bought it, it had only two partitions one for c: and one for recovery... i tried creating a partition but when i do so this appears:



And when i click yes on this alert, this appears:



Please help.. I want to create partition without losing OS and recovery files in d: drive...


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

14 Nov 2011   #2

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 SP1, Home Premium, 64-bit
 
 

DON'T repeat DON'T get involved with dynamic disks. You are lucky you got that second error message.

Go to Disk Management and post a picture of your partition layout.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
14 Nov 2011   #3

Windows 7 Home Basic 64bit x86
 
 

Here it is:
[IMG]http://s6.**************/7pb36tnjz/dmanagement.png[/IMG]
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


14 Nov 2011   #4

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 SP1, Home Premium, 64-bit
 
 

If you want to keep all of your existing partitions, you will have to create an "extended" partition where you now have "unallocated space" as shown in the Disk Management pic. You can then create any number of "logical" partitions within that extended partition.

Or you should be able to enlarge (extend) your C partition into that "unallocated space" to the right of C, as shown in your picture. You can do that directly from Disk Management.

You can also shrink C if desired.

If it were me, I'd get rid of the HP Tools partition, but that's a personal choice.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
14 Nov 2011   #5

Windows 7 Home Basic 64bit x86
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by ignatzatsonic View Post
If you want to keep all of your existing partitions, you will have to create an "extended" partition where you now have "unallocated space" as shown in the Disk Management pic. You can then create any number of "logical" partitions within that extended partition.

Or you should be able to enlarge (extend) your C partition into that "unallocated space" to the right of C, as shown in your picture. You can do that directly from Disk Management.

You can also shrink C if desired.

If it were me, I'd get rid of the HP Tools partition, but that's a personal choice.
I did shrink c: and have the 100gb unallocated space.. but the only problem is i am not able to create a partition with that unallocated space..
My System SpecsSystem Spec
14 Nov 2011   #6

Windows 7 Home Basic 64bit x86
 
 

....
My System SpecsSystem Spec
14 Nov 2011   #7

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 SP1, Home Premium, 64-bit
 
 

You have to create an "extended" partition in that space. An extended partition is unusable by itself. You then have to create a "logical" partition within the extended partition. The logical partition is usable.

I have not used extended partitions in many years. Do you see a menu choice regarding extended partitions?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
14 Nov 2011   #8

Windows 7 Home Basic 64bit x86
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by ignatzatsonic View Post
You have to create an "extended" partition in that space. An extended partition is unusable by itself. You then have to create a "logical" partition within the extended partition. The logical partition is usable.

I have not used extended partitions in many years. Do you see a menu choice regarding extended partitions?
No there is nothing called extended partition..
My System SpecsSystem Spec
14 Nov 2011   #9

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 SP1, Home Premium, 64-bit
 
 

See if this helps;

Partition / Extended : Logical Drives

According to method 1 in that tutorial, you create the extended partition using Diskpart command and then go back to Disk Management to create the logical within the extended.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
14 Nov 2011   #10

Windows 7 Home Basic 64bit x86
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by ignatzatsonic View Post
See if this helps;

Partition / Extended : Logical Drives

According to method 1 in that tutorial, you create the extended partition using Diskpart command and then go back to Disk Management to create the logical within the extended.
Thanks very much i really appropriate your help Have good days ahead.. and i will watch the tutorial and try..
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Not able to create partition in windows 7 Home Basic 64bit




Thread Tools



Similar help and support threads for2: Not able to create partition in windows 7 Home Basic 64bit
Thread Forum
How to create home group from wndows 7 home basic Network & Sharing
Solved How to create partition for win7 Home basic 64 bit?? General Discussion
partition hard drive in Windows 7 home basic Without Formatting Hardware & Devices
Windows 7 Home Basic 64bit Standard Color Scheme Customization
Solved Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit reinstall. Saved to wrong partition. Installation & Setup
can i change theme in win7 home basic 64bit Themes and Styles

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:54 PM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33