Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: MRU list missing from Run

30 Nov 2011   #1
Duchess

Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
 
 
MRU list missing from Run

I recently ran Power Tools Lite and afterwards noticed that all commands that were listed in Run are gone. I don't think they can be recovred but I would like to make new entries hold and be available for furture use. Needless to say Power Tools Lite is gone from my computer.

Is there a registry setting or something that can accomplish that task?

My OS is Windows 7 Home Edition 64-bit.

All help will be appreciated.

Gloria


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
30 Nov 2011   #2
Ztruker

Windows 10 Pro X64
 
 

They will accumulate again as you enter them and as long as you don't run another program that wipes them out

The list itself is kept in the registry, same as it was for XP and Vista.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\RunMRU

Open a Command Prompt then copy and paste the following there and press Enter:

reg query "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\RunMRU"

You could use regedit to export that key and save it in case it ever gets wiped out again, then you could merge the exported key back into your registry to restore them.

Looks like you can have up to 26 entries (a through z) and that's it.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
03 Dec 2011   #3
Duchess

Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Ztruker View Post
They will accumulate again as you enter them and as long as you don't run another program that wipes them out

The list itself is kept in the registry, same as it was for XP and Vista.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\RunMRU

Open a Command Prompt then copy and paste the following there and press Enter:

reg query "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\RunMRU"

You could use regedit to export that key and save it in case it ever gets wiped out again, then you could merge the exported key back into your registry to restore them.

Looks like you can have up to 26 entries (a through z) and that's it.
I used the command prompt and copied and pasted your link, a message appeared that said "The system cannot find the path specified."

Do you have another suggestion?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

04 Dec 2011   #4
Ztruker

Windows 10 Pro X64
 
 

Try this then:

reg query "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer"

That has to be there. It should give you a list of 20 or 30 sub-keys, one of which is RunMru (at least on my Win 7 Pro X64 system).

If you're missing the RunMru key, that means something deleted it.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
04 Feb 2012   #5
Duchess

Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
 
 
MRU list missing from

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Ztruker View Post
Try this then:

reg query "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer"

That has to be there. It should give you a list of 20 or 30 sub-keys, one of which is RunMru (at least on my Win 7 Pro X64 system).

If you're missing the RunMru key, that means something deleted it.
I'm so sorry to be replying so very late, but I lost this post and just discovered it today in a folder I don't use often.

RunMru was found where you said it should be. All I saw was:

Default
Type: REG_SZ
Data: (value not set)

What do you suggest I do next?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
04 Feb 2012   #6
Duchess

Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
 
 
MRU list missing from Run

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Ztruker View Post
Try this then:

reg query "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer"

That has to be there. It should give you a list of 20 or 30 sub-keys, one of which is RunMru (at least on my Win 7 Pro X64 system).

If you're missing the RunMru key, that means something deleted it.
I'm so sorry to be replying so very late, but I lost this post and just discovered it today in a folder I don't use often.

RunMru was found where you said it should be. All I saw was:

Default
Type: REG_SZ
Data: (value not set)

What do you suggest I do next?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
04 Feb 2012   #7
Ztruker

Windows 10 Pro X64
 
 

AS I said before, they will accumulate again as you enter them and as long as you don't run another program that wipes them out.

You can export the key: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\RunMru

if you want to save what is there.When I query RunMRU key, I get this:
Quote:
reg query "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\runmru"

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\runmru
a REG_SZ E:\sources\Desktop-enhancers\Dexpot Multiple Desktops\1
MRUList REG_SZ uwphgxbodfclvqenmkizsajrty
b REG_SZ services.msc\1
c REG_SZ control sysadm.cpl\1
d REG_SZ devmgmt.msc\1
e REG_SZ diskmgmt.msc\1
f REG_SZ control userpasswords2\1
g REG_SZ C:\Users\rrkurtz\AppData\Local\1
h REG_SZ C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Microsoft Antimalware\Support\1
i REG_SZ C:\Users\1
j REG_SZ C:\Program Files (x86)\SeaMonkey\1
k REG_SZ findstr /c:"[SR]" %windir%\logs\cbs\cbs.log >sfcdetails.txt & notepad sfcdetails.txt & del sfcdetails.txt\1
l REG_SZ explorer\1
m REG_SZ %SystemRoot%\System32\Config\1
n REG_SZ eventvwr.msc\1
o REG_SZ msconfig\1
p REG_SZ Cmd\1
q REG_SZ msinfo32\1
r REG_SZ C:\Program Files (x86)\SeaMonkey\omni.jar\1
s REG_SZ dxdiag\1
t REG_SZ c:\windows\1
u REG_SZ regedit\1
v REG_SZ C:\Users\rrkurtz\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch\User Pinned\TaskBar\1
w REG_SZ "C:\Program Files (x86)\Acronis\TrueImageHome\"\1
x REG_SZ C:\Program Files (x86)\Belarc\Advisor\System\tmp\1
y REG_SZ "C:\Program Files (x86)\SeaMonkey\seamonkey.exe" -profileManager\1
z REG_SZ C:\Windows\Minidump\1
My System SpecsSystem Spec
05 Feb 2012   #8
Duchess

Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Ztruker View Post
AS I said before, they will accumulate again as you enter them and as long as you don't run another program that wipes them out.

You can export the key: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\RunMru

if you want to save what is there.When I query RunMRU key, I get this:
Quote:
reg query "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\runmru"

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\runmru
a REG_SZ E:\sources\Desktop-enhancers\Dexpot Multiple Desktops\1
MRUList REG_SZ uwphgxbodfclvqenmkizsajrty
b REG_SZ services.msc\1
c REG_SZ control sysadm.cpl\1
d REG_SZ devmgmt.msc\1
e REG_SZ diskmgmt.msc\1
f REG_SZ control userpasswords2\1
g REG_SZ C:\Users\rrkurtz\AppData\Local\1
h REG_SZ C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Microsoft Antimalware\Support\1
i REG_SZ C:\Users\1
j REG_SZ C:\Program Files (x86)\SeaMonkey\1
k REG_SZ findstr /c:"[SR]" %windir%\logs\cbs\cbs.log >sfcdetails.txt & notepad sfcdetails.txt & del sfcdetails.txt\1
l REG_SZ explorer\1
m REG_SZ %SystemRoot%\System32\Config\1
n REG_SZ eventvwr.msc\1
o REG_SZ msconfig\1
p REG_SZ Cmd\1
q REG_SZ msinfo32\1
r REG_SZ C:\Program Files (x86)\SeaMonkey\omni.jar\1
s REG_SZ dxdiag\1
t REG_SZ c:\windows\1
u REG_SZ regedit\1
v REG_SZ C:\Users\rrkurtz\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch\User Pinned\TaskBar\1
w REG_SZ "C:\Program Files (x86)\Acronis\TrueImageHome\"\1
x REG_SZ C:\Program Files (x86)\Belarc\Advisor\System\tmp\1
y REG_SZ "C:\Program Files (x86)\SeaMonkey\seamonkey.exe" -profileManager\1
z REG_SZ C:\Windows\Minidump\1
As I said before, I don't see the list. What I type in Run is NOT holding and that's my original problem which has not been fixed as yet.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
05 Feb 2012   #9
Ztruker

Windows 10 Pro X64
 
 

Are you running any other software that can be clearing the RunMru history? I know in XP TweakUI had this capability.

What happens it you use the run box to enter a few commands. Are they remembered until you reboot then they disappear?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
05 Feb 2012   #10
Duchess

Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Ztruker View Post
Are you running any other software that can be clearing the RunMru history? I know in XP TweakUI had this capability.

What happens it you use the run box to enter a few commands. Are they remembered until you reboot then they disappear?
No, I'm not running any software that could be doing that.

I've tried that, but each time I go to Run the windows is blank and I have to type a command for anything I want to do or anywhere I want to go.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 MRU list missing from Run




Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
IE10 Missing in Action: will not run, not in program list. ??? no clue
This is a totally new one to me folks. I have had IE10 in and running for several months on Windows 7 Home Prem x64 on Thinkpad x120E. I typically use either Chrome or FF19. today I thought I would try a bothersome government website with IE10 and discovered the icon is gone - changed to that...
Browsers & Mail
BCD missing status:0xc000000f & Diskpart won't list my main partition
My pc won't boot up cause i made some software changes but didn't save things properly. It's running Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit. I checked online and found i could boot up from an installation disc and repair it. But the recovery tools didn't work and I found that I could rebuild the BCD ...
Backup and Restore
help!! missing program list
I am using windows7 64bit and when i click on the orb to open, the all programs list is empty how can i get it back:geek:
General Discussion
Wlmail 2011 - Message List - 'To' field Missing
Have been using wlmail 2011 for a while now and have been continually frustrated by the missing 'To' field when displaying the 'sent items' folder. Is there a way make this happen for 'two-line' views? I've 'played' with the customized views and have gotten the 'To', Subject, and Date fields to...
Browsers & Mail
missing 1/2 of my 'programs' list in 'start'
semi-literate user here.... #1 caught what looked like a bug, today--from an emial, I'm guessing-- everything slowed down until it virtually stopped and I manually powered down/into safe mode to work on it. It cost me an entire am to run thru all my virus 'catchers' (and came up with exactly...
General Discussion
Windows 7 missing from boot list after new installation of XP.
I have two hard drives on this computer, one is running Windows 7. The other has XP Pro on 1 of the 3 partitions. Then I installed a fresh copy of XP on an empty partition, so now I have 2 copies of XP. Now when I boot, Windows 7 is no longer listed in the options, just the two XPs. I've...
Installation & Setup


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 15:32.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App