Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Program files/Program files(x86) HELP

27 Mar 2010   #31
DarkStar GT

Windows Home Premium (64)
 
 

Just wondering: Are there any disadvantages in installing programs (and plug-in dll files) into, for example, "My Documents\Install32" and "My Documents\Install64" folders?


My System SpecsSystem Spec
27 Mar 2010   #32
Jonathan_King

Windows 7 Professional x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by DarkStar GT View Post
Just wondering: Are there any disadvantages in installing programs (and plug-in dll files) into, for example, "My Documents\Install32" and "My Documents\Install64" folders?
Welcome!

The only disadvantage is that you would need to have your own method of organization. It looks like you already do!

Go ahead, that shouldn't be a problem at all.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
21 Jul 2010   #33
Confounded

Windows 7
 
 
Prgrams

I keep getting a message that my recovery disc is full. Checking it I find it has a lot of folders including the Program and Program 86 files, along with Dell, Perf Logs, Common files, etc. Is this normal or because I had to use the recovery disc to straighten out my NEW Dell 570 (Windows 7, 64 bit) because it got corrupted by a faulty Ad Aware program and wouldn't let me delete it, download Norton 360 or anything else. I'm very much a novice, very confused and CONFOUNDED! Help!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
21 Jul 2010   #34
Bare Foot Kid
Microsoft MVP

W 7 64-bit Ultimate
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Confounded View Post
I keep getting a message that my recovery disc is full. Checking it I find it has a lot of folders including the Program and Program 86 files, along with Dell, Perf Logs, Common files, etc. Is this normal or because I had to use the recovery disc to straighten out my NEW Dell 570 (Windows 7, 64 bit) because it got corrupted by a faulty Ad Aware program and wouldn't let me delete it, download Norton 360 or anything else. I'm very much a novice, very confused and CONFOUNDED! Help!


Hello Confounded, welcome to Seven Forums!



The "recovery disc" is more than likely a "Recovery Partition" that was created at the factory and is what you used to create the disks and can be used to recover the PC after something goes/has gone wrong; I hope you haven't been storing/trying to store 'stuff' there as you may disable the functionality of the partition and it'll then be worthless.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 Aug 2010   #35
igivup

w7 Home Prem 64-bt
 
 

1. As I have w7 32bit installed do I need to retain the Program Files folder which holds 64bit stuff and can I delete it without loss?

2. I can upgrade from 32bit to 64bit but as I'm not a gamer or a streamer is it worth while?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 Aug 2010   #36
Bare Foot Kid
Microsoft MVP

W 7 64-bit Ultimate
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by igivup View Post
1. As I have w7 32bit installed do I need to retain the Program Files folder which holds 64bit stuff and can I delete it without loss?

2. I can upgrade from 32bit to 64bit but as I'm not a gamer or a streamer is it worth while?


No, don't delete it, it's needed or it wouldn't be there.

There is no upgrade path from32-bit to 64-bit; it'll have to be a clean install all the way.


How to Do a Clean Installation with Windows 7
My System SpecsSystem Spec
01 Sep 2010   #37
igivup

w7 Home Prem 64-bt
 
 

Thanks, Kid. I now understand that by default win7 dumps new downloaded apps into either Prog Files or Prog Files (x86) depending on whether they are 64 0r 32-bit jobs. Can be confusing when sesrching for stuff - and you're not allowed to change the names to something more sensible ...eg - 32-bit Prog Files and 64-bit Prog Files
My System SpecsSystem Spec
25 Nov 2010   #38
xsile

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

I was wondering if there is any special settings on the program files (x86) folder? I noticed that some games I install will only run properly if I let their installer install them into the program files (x86) folder. Also if there is a special way that windows 7 handles the (x86) folder is there a way to have windows also make an access another X86 folder on a different drive the way it does on the default C: location?

Thanks
My System SpecsSystem Spec
01 Dec 2010   #39
Jonathan_King

Windows 7 Professional x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by xsile View Post
I was wondering if there is any special settings on the program files (x86) folder? I noticed that some games I install will only run properly if I let their installer install them into the program files (x86) folder. Also if there is a special way that windows 7 handles the (x86) folder is there a way to have windows also make an access another X86 folder on a different drive the way it does on the default C: location?

Thanks
Welcome to SF!

The only difference between the 2 folders is their name; it's just to help keep things organized better.

If the game is not running right, I'd suspect it's the fault of the game itself. Perhaps it has trouble if it is installed to anywhere except its default location. Try installing it to a folder on your desktop, and see what happens.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
04 Dec 2010   #40
yoshirocks

Windows 7 Professional 64-Bit
 
 

32-bit programs will go into the Program Files (x86) folder, and 64-bit programs will go into the Program Files folder.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Program files/Program files(x86) HELP




Thread Tools





Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Point new program installations to C:\Program Files NOT (x86)
I have always kept my programme installation directories in C:\Program Files and would prefer to keep it that way. So many programmes these days default to C:\Program Files (x86). It is a pain to keep editing the location required when setting up a new machine. Is there any way to persuade new...
General Discussion
Program installed in Program Files requires elevation?
I have a program that wanted to install in a document folder :mad: I have installed it in Program Files, but it requires elevation or it produces errors when running. I know I can tick the Run As ... box in the shortcut, but is there a better way, such as taking ownership of the install folder?
System Security
Program refusing to install in standard program files folder
I have an Advent (PC World brand) Laptop that comes with its own custom On-Screen Display software. The software is made for 32 bit Windows with no 64 bit version available as far as I'm aware. I have upgraded to 64 bit Windows recently and everything seems to work great except the OSD. ...
Software
Program Files (x86) & Program Files Installed On Another Drive
Hi have have a new PC running Win7 Home Premium 64bit. I have 2 drives: 1 x 120GB SSD (running the OS) (C Drive) 1 x 1TB HDD (D Drive) The SSD is running the OS and a couple of main programs which i use quite often (ie. Office 2010, Antivirus, etc). The HDD i want to use to install and...
General Discussion
Allow installed program to rename files under Program Files (x86)
Hi, I have a program installed under "C:\Program Files (x86)\CompanyName\SWName". When the program runs it's supposed to copy some files, say FROM "C:\Program Files (x86)\CompanyName\SWName\Drivers\*.abc TO "C:\Program Files (x86)\CompanyName\SWName\Drivers\*.xyz The program works on...
General Discussion
Program Files or Program Files (x86)-Where to place downloaded program
My computers are both running Win 7 64-bit. I am thoroughly confused when it comes to placing programs that I download into their proper folders: That is, program files (x86) vs program files. I have read stuff on this, but still confused. for the most part, even when a dl'd program suggests...
Software

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:22.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App