Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: windows failed to start with "ynhif is compressed" error

30 Dec 2011   #1
takoateli

NY
 
 
windows failed to start with "ynhif is compressed" error

A friend who has an Aspire One with Win7 Starter asked me to help, his computer wouldn't boot. It would go through the bios part of the boot and then very quickly it would show an error saying "ynhif is compressed" and stop there. The error would come up so fast it was as if Windows wasn't even trying to boot. There was none of the normal Windows startup screens. There was nothing I could do to boot the machine. I couldn't get to the list of boot options. This problem was happening way before one could get that list in the startup process.

I booted off an AVG antivirus rescue disk cd and checked the system. There were no viruses. That disk allowed me to use a simple file browser and editor. I could see a file named ynhif with no file extension and a file size of around 233kb. It was modified at the same time that win7.ld was modified.

I googled heavily but couldn't find anything about a file named vnhif. I didn't know what to do so on a hunch I just renamed the file to ynhif.old and the system booted right up.

Does anyone have any idea what ynhif might be from and how it got there? I looked into it with a text editor and looked like it was some kind of boot file, with references to linuxey stuff and thing about booting.

I thought I'd post this here as it might help someone else and also to see if anyone had any ideas.

Thanks!
Greg


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

30 Dec 2011   #2
zigzag3143

Win 8 Release candidate 8400
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by takoateli View Post
A friend who has an Aspire One with Win7 Starter asked me to help, his computer wouldn't boot. It would go through the bios part of the boot and then very quickly it would show an error saying "ynhif is compressed" and stop there. The error would come up so fast it was as if Windows wasn't even trying to boot. There was none of the normal Windows startup screens. There was nothing I could do to boot the machine. I couldn't get to the list of boot options. This problem was happening way before one could get that list in the startup process.

I booted off an AVG antivirus rescue disk cd and checked the system. There were no viruses. That disk allowed me to use a simple file browser and editor. I could see a file named ynhif with no file extension and a file size of around 233kb. It was modified at the same time that win7.ld was modified.

I googled heavily but couldn't find anything about a file named vnhif. I didn't know what to do so on a hunch I just renamed the file to ynhif.old and the system booted right up.

Does anyone have any idea what ynhif might be from and how it got there? I looked into it with a text editor and looked like it was some kind of boot file, with references to linuxey stuff and thing about booting.

I thought I'd post this here as it might help someone else and also to see if anyone had any ideas.

Thanks!
Greg

Greg I am highly suspicious of it. I too googled it with no information, the fact that it had no extension (or was it hidden) more so.

The fact that AVG didnt find anything isnt un-usual. I would download malwarebytes and run it against the file before you delete it.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
30 Dec 2011   #3
takoateli

NY
 
 

ZigZag,

Thanks! I didn't delete the file. I'm going to move a copy of it over to my Mac and send it to the antivirus folks that have a place on the web to submit suspicious files for analysis.

I think installing MalwareBytes is a good idea too! I'm going to do that now. I'll post back what it turns up.

Greg
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


30 Dec 2011   #4
zigzag3143

Win 8 Release candidate 8400
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by takoateli View Post
ZigZag,

Thanks! I didn't delete the file. I'm going to move a copy of it over to my Mac and send it to the antivirus folks that have a place on the web to submit suspicious files for analysis.

I think installing MalwareBytes is a good idea too! I'm going to do that now. I'll post back what it turns up.

Greg

Good luck
My System SpecsSystem Spec
30 Dec 2011   #5
takoateli

NY
 
 

ZigZag,

Sophos came back with results first. They say the file is clean. I'll see what the others say. I also submitted to Avira, Symantec and another one.

Greg
My System SpecsSystem Spec
30 Dec 2011   #6
zigzag3143

Win 8 Release candidate 8400
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by takoateli View Post
ZigZag,

Sophos came back with results first. They say the file is clean. I'll see what the others say. I also submitted to Avira, Symantec and another one.

Greg

Good. Better safe than sorry with unknown files.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
31 Dec 2011   #7
stevieray

windows 7 x64 Home Premium
 
 

After you renamed the file and got the pc to boot, did your friend's system create a new ynhif file?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
03 Jan 2012   #8
Solidwave

Win7Ultimate x64 + x32, Win7Pro x64, XP x32, Win 2003, Ubuntu and OpenIndiana
 
 

It's highly likely you've caught some form of pre-boot rootkit that uses a random name for its payload. Googling or looking for another "ynhif" won't help because other installations of the same malware will be named with a different set of five random characters. If you want to check if the computer has been reinfected, use a boot disk to look for the re-appearance of any other files with random names.

Brand-name antivirus software virtually useless against this kind of threat and all 'clean' reports you get should be considered false negatives.

Rootkit malware is extremely difficult to eradicate. Your best option is to copy all data off the system, wipe the hard drive (diskpart clean) and reinstall from a recovery disk or retail DVD.

Make sure your friend gets into the habit of updating all his Internet-facing software (browser, flash, acrobat reader) to reduce the risk of being infected again. Running AV software alone is an inadequate defense.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 windows failed to start with "ynhif is compressed" error




Thread Tools





Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Session "" failed to start with the following error: 0xC000000D
I'm down to one last error in the Administrative Event Log. I have searched the Web for a solution and it seems there are a lot of solutions but I have yet to find one that works for me or anybody else for that matter. It has become personal! Can someone please help me get to the bottom of this...
BSOD Help and Support
Session "Homegroup Log" failed to start with error: 0xC0000035
After a factory reset and clean installation I am looking in to a few remaining errors that are reported. One such is Can someone tell me the cause for the error and how I may prevent its recurrence? Please!
Network & Sharing
"Windows has failed to start" error after installing new parts
I've been trying to change the motherboard and cpu in my current computer. After hooking everything up, the computer runs till the windows 7 loading screen, then stalls and restarts. Upon restart I'm brought to the "windows has failed to start" message and attempting to repair through that yields...
Hardware & Devices
Windows wont start after compressing C drive. "TOLFJ is compressed"
Hello, I was trying to free up some space so i compressed my C drive, something that ive done before a cpl of years back and had no problem, but this time windows wont start. This is exactly what happened, i compressed and waited the 9 hrs and after that i also went to the control panel and...
BSOD Help and Support
"Windows failed to start..." Recovery disk is unable to recover Win.
Hi all. Earlier today I was playing around with Windows 8 Developer Preview inside of Virtualbox. I tried to install the VB guest additions (which allows copy-paste between guest and host, as well as other things) and was told to restart the computer. So I restarted the VM and got the new version...
BSOD Help and Support
Session "" failed to start with the following error: 0x
I'm down to just one last ERROR being reported in the Administrative Event Log. It seems this is a pretty common error but I can't seem to find the solution. I included a screen dump and would appreciated some guidance on how to make this go away. I have this same error on a second W7 Home Premium...
BSOD Help and Support

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 14:11.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App