Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Boot Menu Problem


07 Jan 2012   #1

windows 7 rtm ultimate build 7600 x86
 
 
Boot Menu Problem

hiii alll n wish u all a belated happy new year..

i had been using win 7 ultimate x86 and ubuntu 10.10 dual booted for about last 4-5 months. i used the wubi installer to install ubuntu inside Windows 7 in a win 7 partition. just few hrs before i have reformatted my laptop. but there stays a problem inside the boot menu.
It is showing both win 7 n ubuntu as the boot menu still now..!!!
plzz help me guys to get rid of it.
ty all.

My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

07 Jan 2012   #2

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

ME/XP/Vista/Win7
 
 

Did you clean the HD Drive first?
SSD / HDD : Optimize for Windows Reinstallation
My System SpecsSystem Spec
07 Jan 2012   #3

Windows 7 Ultimate 32 Bit, Windows Developer Preview, Linux Mint 9 Gnome 32 Bit
 
 

Installing Linuxes may give you booting problems. I have been using Linux. I think, it may have something to do with the Ubuntu bootloader. Do you use the Grub bootloader? Because installing this usually creates a partition that contains the Grub bootloader in what I think. Its a separate partition from the main partition which you have formatted but you left this small partition of less than 1GB is size and still continues to initiate the bootloader, showing bot Windows 7 and Ubuntu when you start the computer. You have to format this small partition as well. But reformatting this partition, might make your currently installed operating systems to be undetectable on bootup, I'm not sure about that but its only fully safe to format this partition if your laptop is completely empty, with no existing operating systems installed. But I don't think the Wubi install would install the Grub bootloader as well.

Do you have Windows 7 installed on that laptop right now? I suggest you right click My Computer on the Desktop, choose Manage and on that console, go to Disk Management and confirm if my suspicion about this partition is correct. It should be a small partition of around 900+MB in what I remember.

You did not tell how exactly you formatted your laptop. Did you format everything including Ubuntu? Is that laptop empty right now?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


07 Jan 2012   #4
Arc

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit SP 1
 
 

That is why we say to install grub in another HDD .

Download EasyBCD 2 or older from the links in the right bottom of the page Download EasyBCD 2.1.2 - NeoSmart Technologies . (versions below 2.1 are free).
Install it. Then run it. First click on "Edit Boot Menu", you will get a list of boot entries there. If there is any GRUB or Linux entry (anuthing other than Windows 7), select it, and then click the delete button. Finally save changes, and then restart your computer and see if it is still there.
Name:  Capture.JPG
Views: 6
Size:  84.1 KB

If it is still there, better you follow what theog suggested .


My System SpecsSystem Spec
07 Jan 2012   #5

windows 7 rtm ultimate build 7600 x86
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Vertex View Post
Installing Linuxes may give you booting problems. I have been using Linux. I think, it may have something to do with the Ubuntu bootloader. Do you use the Grub bootloader? Because installing this usually creates a partition that contains the Grub bootloader in what I think. Its a separate partition from the main partition which you have formatted but you left this small partition of less than 1GB is size and still continues to initiate the bootloader, showing bot Windows 7 and Ubuntu when you start the computer. You have to format this small partition as well. But reformatting this partition, might make your currently installed operating systems to be undetectable on bootup, I'm not sure about that but its only fully safe to format this partition if your laptop is completely empty, with no existing operating systems installed. But I don't think the Wubi install would install the Grub bootloader as well.

Do you have Windows 7 installed on that laptop right now? I suggest you right click My Computer on the Desktop, choose Manage and on that console, go to Disk Management and confirm if my suspicion about this partition is correct. It should be a small partition of around 900+MB in what I remember.

You did not tell how exactly you formatted your laptop. Did you format everything including Ubuntu? Is that laptop empty right now?
i didn't removed any apps nor even Ubuntu from the previous win 7. I just inserted my win 7 DVD n formatted the partition containing win 7... Its of about 50 GB in size.
I dont know exactly about what kind of partition u r talking about...but i have a partition of 100 mb named system reserved.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
07 Jan 2012   #6

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

ME/XP/Vista/Win7
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by theog View Post
Did you clean the HD Drive first?
SSD / HDD : Optimize for Windows Reinstallation
All Linux code must be deleted using the CLEAN ALL command.As you have had linux on the HD you need do a Clean all & full format.


Type in command line
DISKPART
LIST DISK
SELECT DISK # (win HD)
CLEAN ALL
CREATE PARTITION PRIMARY
SELECT PARTITION 1
ACTIVE
FORMAT fs=NTFS
ASSIGN
EXIT
EXIT
My System SpecsSystem Spec
07 Jan 2012   #7

windows 7 rtm ultimate build 7600 x86
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by theog View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by theog View Post
Did you clean the HD Drive first?
SSD / HDD : Optimize for Windows Reinstallation
All Linux code must be deleted using the CLEAN ALL command.As you have had linux on the HD you need do a Clean all & full format.


Type in command line
DISKPART
LIST DISK
SELECT DISK # (win HD)
CLEAN ALL
CREATE PARTITION PRIMARY
SELECT PARTITION 1
ACTIVE
FORMAT fs=NTFS
ASSIGN
EXIT
EXIT
Actually after i installed windows 7. i didn't formatted the Ubuntu partition. Since the entire linux stored in a .disk file, i simply deleted the folder named "ubuntu' where i installed it in my another windows partition.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
07 Jan 2012   #8
Arc

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit SP 1
 
 

multibot, as you have installed linux using WUBI, the linux should be installed in windows partition, like an installed program. Still, there are something suggested to you earlier like trying EasyBCD . It edits boot menu as I told you.

Formatting C drive will not remove the GRUB entry from boot, coz it will be stored in the System Reserved partition. I guess you haven't formatted that partition .

You can have an easy access to System Reserved and make any alteration thereto using EasyBCD .

Plus, if you upload a screenshot of your maximized disk management window, we may check that if GRUM installed anywhere else, as Vertex thinks .
My System SpecsSystem Spec
07 Jan 2012   #9

windows 7 rtm ultimate build 7600 x86
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by arc View Post
multibot, as you have installed linux using wubi, the linux should be installed in windows partition, like an installed program. Still, there are something suggested to you earlier like trying easybcd . It edits boot menu as i told you.

Formatting c drive will not remove the grub entry from boot, coz it will be stored in the system reserved partition. I guess you haven't formatted that partition .

You can have an easy access to system reserved and make any alteration thereto using easybcd .

Plus, if you upload a screenshot of your maximized disk management window, we may check that if grum installed anywhere else, as vertex thinks .
Boot Menu Problem-untitled.jpg


My System SpecsSystem Spec
07 Jan 2012   #10
Arc

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit SP 1
 
 

As expected (the feature of WUBI) , there is no other partition for GRUB. So it was installed in the C drive, and removed with the formatting. but the boot entry remained there , as the System Reserved partition is not formatted. If you accept the Ubuntu option to boot, it will not load anything !

Have you installed EasyBCD ? If so, post a screenshot of EasyBCD window, with the "Edit Boot Menu" button selected in the toolbox, as I have shown in the screenshot earlier.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Boot Menu Problem




Thread Tools




Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:35 PM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33