|08 Jan 2012||#1|
Default settings for my Folders in external hardrive
Hello guys out there, I'm just a newbie here. I had this problem last week when all my folders in my hardrive turned into a .lnk file or shortcuts. They said that it was a virus and i tried to unhide all the folders including hidden files, system files, etc. throught attrib in Dos command (c:\ attrib -r - a - s - h /s /d /l g:\*.*)
I finally got all my files and folders and deleted all those shortcuts and .lnk files, then scan with my antivirus, antispyware and malware. It all worked out. But the thing is... all the folders/files that supposed to be hidden is now showing. I have a 500GB external drive with a thousand files on it.
I dont know which files/folder should hide and others that shouldn't be. Is there any command/system/software to be used in order to make my files/folders in external hardrive back to where it should be?
I appreciate all the help I can get from you guys. Thanks you in advance!
|My System Specs|
|08 Jan 2012||#2|
Welcome to Seven Forums fhranzis067. It may be a simple matter of not showing hidden files and Operating System files. Try this:
Open any folder> In upper left menu> Organize> Folder and search options> View tab> Put a check next to Hide protected operating system files (Recommended)
And Don't show hidden files, folders, or drives.
Click Apply and OK your way out. See if that doesn't return things to normal.
|My System Specs|
|08 Jan 2012||#3|
A Guy, first of all i would like to thank you for the concern and quick response.. i really appreciate it very much. The procedure that you showed was the same procedure i did on my first attempt but nothing happens.. now im lost in the middle of nowhere *sigh*
This is what i did exactly (external drive G
1. from CMD i typed g:\ attrib -r -a -s -h g:*.* /s /d /l then i pressed enter key to view all my hidden and missing folders/files.
2. I exit from CMD and went back to windows mode.
3. When I check my external hardrive, the all the hidden folders/files appeared and so as the shortcut/link folder & files , i deleted all the shortcut and link folders & files since they said it is a virus.
4. So now I got all the folders and files that i wanted. I ran my antispyware/antivirus/antimalwares then...
5. these strange folders like $AVG, Autorun, Recycler, $Recycle.bin, System Volume Information, etc. etc. etc..... stayed unhidden
6. I tried to set the folder option to its default settings like the above illustration that you sent but still.. i can see those files which are supposed to be hidden, and now i am confused which from those files should be kept hidden and which shouldn't.
Is there any button or command that automatically set those different files to their default mode (hide or unhide) in just one click? without selecting one by one for their options? need more help please.. thank you!
|My System Specs|
|Similar help and support threads for2: Default settings for my Folders in external hardrive|
|Wd external hardrive help, turns on but doesn't show||Hardware & Devices|
|Does chkdisk work for an external hardrive||Performance & Maintenance|
|Transfer programs and data to new computer? External Hardrive!||Installation & Setup|
|Please Help, Please Help External Hardrive Help Please!||Backup and Restore|
|External Hardrive and Permissions||General Discussion|
|Can an external hardrive update automatically?||Performance & Maintenance|
Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.
© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:34 AM.