Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: are the days of separating OS partition and data partition over?

09 Jan 2012   #11
JimLewandowski

 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by seavixen32 View Post
Well, all I can say is, you do your thing and I'll do mine.

After all, it's just a matter of personal choice really.
Agreed. But, I think this discussion is worth having. It's very pertinent as things have dramatically changed hardware-wise in the last few years. SSD, USB 3.0, dirt-cheap (I mean cheaper than dirt) hard drive (prior to the Taiwan thing).

You know, have a shutdown .bat that you run you start before going to bed. It images the world and then shuts down.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
09 Jan 2012   #12
DeaconFrost

Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1
 
 

SSDs are yet another reason to keep things separated. No need to junk up an SSD and give it unnecessary reads and writes.

You are hung up on the speed of transfers, instead of looking at the practicality of the processes. Just because I can back up data faster now than several years ago, doesn't mean I should or need to completely reorganize the way I store my data.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
09 Jan 2012   #13
JimLewandowski

 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by DeaconFrost View Post
SSDs are yet another reason to keep things separated. No need to junk up an SSD and give it unnecessary reads and writes.

You are hung up on the speed of transfers, instead of looking at the practicality of the processes. Just because I can back up data faster now than several years ago, doesn't mean I should or need to completely reorganize the way I store my data.
TIF are the only thing I can think off offhand that are "unnecessary" reads/writes for an SSD.

Remember, if you're going to back up your data once per week, as an example, and it's 500G or even 1TB, dragging along the OS partition (or equivalent if we're on 1 partition for everything) is no biggie. A few extra minutes.

I'm not hung up on speed. I have thought about this and can't see a reason to not combine the two for having 1 and only 1 thing to worry about: backing up your "system". I'm also not suggesting anyone reorganize data. But, on a new install, it makes less and less sense to keep things partitioned (based on the caveats in my OP).
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

09 Jan 2012   #14
DeaconFrost

Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1
 
 

Let me clarify at this point that I'm playing the Devil's Advocate. I'm not saying you are wrong...I'm saying that what you feel is best for you may not be what's best for others....so these proclamation type threads always backfire. As long as you are backing up what is important to you, stick with it. I don't preach my methods because they work for me, but may not fit with what anyone else is doing or wanting to do.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
09 Jan 2012   #15
JimLewandowski

 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by DeaconFrost View Post
Let me clarify at this point that I'm playing the Devil's Advocate. I'm not saying you are wrong...I'm saying that what you feel is best for you may not be what's best for others....so these proclamation type threads always backfire. As long as you are backing up what is important to you, stick with it. I don't preach my methods because they work for me, but may not fit with what anyone else is doing or wanting to do.
*sigh* It's not a proclamation. I posed a QUESTION in my OP. I'm also not preaching anything other than asking questions.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
09 Jan 2012   #16
Qdos

 

Although I do not *see* the phrase *drive imaging* in the opening post, yes, even now you can store your data in the Windows default profile folders and specifically back them up to another medium in case of data loss... and if you did then you could instruct a drive imaging program to ignore those folders and their content when making images of the OS...

However it would require a boot drive of a sufficient capacity; and unless money is no object then few people are going to have 500Gb-1Tb-2Tb type SSD's!!! If you're not using an SSD then it stands to reasons the more R/W I/O operations there are on the boot drive regards personal data, the slower the OS will respond...

For these reasons I suspect it's a "no brainer" in truth...
My System SpecsSystem Spec
09 Jan 2012   #17
seavixen32

Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64-Bit
 
 

Don't forget, a lot of people don't have SSDs, USB3 ports and such like.

I'm sure the question you ask has some merit, but I just don't happen to think the days of separating the operating system and personal data are over.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
09 Jan 2012   #18
JimLewandowski

 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Qdos View Post
Although I do not *see* the phrase *drive imaging* in the opening post, yes, even now you can store your data in the Windows default profile folders and specifically back them up to another medium in case of data loss... and if you did then you could instruct a drive imaging program to ignore those folders and their content when making images of the OS...

However it would require a boot drive of a sufficient capacity; and unless money is no object then few people are going to have 500Gb-1Tb-2Tb type SSD's!!! If you're not using an SSD then it stands to reasons the more R/W I/O operations there are on the boot drive regards personal data, the slower the OS will respond...

For these reasons I suspect it's a "no brainer" in truth...
How much read/write activity related to one's data would have to be going on to slow down the OS? Even if you're listening to music the whole time, that stuff is destaged from the platter into controller cache via read-ahead. How many I/Os are your systems generally doing as you do your daily work?

Again, with huge (massive) data sizes, I can see the point of having multiple physical drives (but still not multiple physical partitions).
My System SpecsSystem Spec
09 Jan 2012   #19
DeaconFrost

Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by JimLewandowski View Post
Again, with huge (massive) data sizes, I can see the point of having multiple physical drives (but still not multiple physical partitions).
I'm not sure what this has to do with partitions, but I'll go back to a comment I made before. Who *doesn't* have a large amount of data anymore? Even on my corporate laptop, I have a second partition created to be D...as in my user data. I do this for the very same reasons I mentioned before. In both of my tower computers, I have at least two physical drives. One for the OS/Apps, and one for my user data. In the tower in my sig, I have three. One for OS/apps, one for data, and one as a scratch area for my DVD ripping, as I'm converting many of my DVDs into movie files and storing them on my server.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
09 Jan 2012   #20
1Bowtie

Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit
 
 

Just for thought, if i put all my stuff which is spread over 5 different drives, i would have to backup 500+ gigs. How long do you think it would take to back up that much data, we're talking hours. So for me the OS 33 gigs is maybe 20 minutes at most, seems like a nobrainer to me, i can be back up and running in 20 minutes if need be. Just my 2 cents
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 are the days of separating OS partition and data partition over?




Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Data Partition
This video tutorial explains how to create or delete a partition and how to tell the system to move the user data folders into that partition. It applies to Windows 7 and Vista. As a video, it addresses the more visually oriented audience and is supposed to complement Brink's exellent tutorial on...
Tutorials
Deleting an empty partition also deletes a partition with data.
I recently cloned my HDD to a new SSD and that seemed to go okay. The original HHD had 2 partitions named Miscellaneous 1 and Miscellaneous 2. I honestly do not know where those 2 partitions came from. I guess I could have created them some years ago, but I just do not remember. As you would...
Hardware & Devices
How to change active partition without removing data from partition?
Hi Folks, I have contrived to get two active partitions on my PC! After a 2 week old hard drive (D: & F -) died I replaced (now F & G) it with an old drive that had previously been configured with XP and as a boot drive. I don’t think it is acting as boot as drive C: has an active partition and...
General Discussion
Separating OS from data files HELP
So i'm trying to upgrade my OS to Windows 7 Ultimate and after doing a bit of research, it seems I have to separate my OS files from my data and program files. Now i've already partitioned my hard drive into 2 separate disks/drives but the only problem is, i have no idea which files i should move...
Hardware & Devices
Mystery Partition - Accidentally Put Data on System Partition??
Hello, I was really hoping somebody could help us. It's a bit of a strange situation we're in but I'll try to keep the facts as concise as possible. Computer running Windows 7 Ultimate x64, 1TB Hard Drive. Yesterday my boyfriend discovered an 'extra' partition on his computer. He'd never seen...
Performance & Maintenance


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 21:18.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App