Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Help with Extending Volume in Windows 7

09 Jan 2012   #1
yellowjacket03

Windows 7 Home Premium 32-bit
 
 
Help with Extending Volume in Windows 7

Please see the attached screenshot that shows the partitions of my disk. I have just installed Windows 7 on the partition labeled C:. I would like to extend this volume by merging the 99.74GB C: partition with the 10.0GB "unallocated" partition that is the left. I have just learned that the Disk Management doesn't allow me to do this . How would be the best way to do this without having to reinstall the OS and applications?

OS: Windows 7 Home Premium 32-bit




Attached Thumbnails
Help with Extending Volume in Windows 7-partitionscreenshot.jpg  
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
09 Jan 2012   #2
essenbe

Windows 7 Enterprise X64/Windows 10 Enterprise X64/Windows 10 Pro X64/Linux Mint
 
 

Disk management will not extend a partition to the left, only to the right. To do what you want, you will need to use free Partition Wizard. The Partition Wizard tutorial will explain.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
09 Jan 2012   #3
whs
Microsoft MVP

Vista, Windows7, Mint Mate, Zorin, Windows 8
 
 

Good practice would suggest that you image the partitions before you manipulate them with Partition Wizard. I got bit once and lost all my partitions using PW which I am familiar with (just a small little mistake did it) - but I had images. So it was no big deal.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

09 Jan 2012   #4
lehnerus2000

W7 Ultimate SP1, LM18 MATE, W10IP VM, W10 Home, #All 64 bit
 
 
Agreed

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by whs View Post
Good practice would suggest that you image the partitions before you manipulate them with Partition Wizard. I got bit once and lost all my partitions using PW which I am familiar with (just a small little mistake did it) - but I had images. So it was no big deal.
You should probably image the whole HDD.

When I tried to resize and move my W7 partition (in 2010) I managed to screw it up and I ended up having to reinstall it (XP and Ubuntu too).
My System SpecsSystem Spec
09 Jan 2012   #5
AddRAM

Windows 7 Pro x64 Windows 10 Pro x64
 
 

Are you all POSITIVE the FREE partition wizard will do this ? I thought only diskpart would merge space from the left of C:
If you just installed 7, in my opinion it would be much easier and faster just to reinstall and make your partition the size you want this time.

I know you need Pro to merge partitions, correct ?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
09 Jan 2012   #6
whs
Microsoft MVP

Vista, Windows7, Mint Mate, Zorin, Windows 8
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by AddRAM View Post
Are you all POSITIVE the FREE partition wizard will do this ? I thought only diskpart would merge space from the left of C:
If you just installed 7, in my opinion it would be much easier and faster just to reinstall and make your partition the size you want this time.
Yes, Partition Wizard does the job quite nicely - if you make no mistake. I have just used it a couple of days ago for the same purpose.

But a reinstall is the worst option. The better alternative would be to image C, delete the C partition and redefine a bigger partition in the merged unallocated space. Then dump the image back in.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
10 Jan 2012   #7
wanchoo

Windows 7 Pro with SP1 32bit
 
 

Could be quite easily done without losing any data with a good partitioning software using it's boot disk. You could use Acronis Disk Director Suite Boot Disk which is my favourite or Free Partition Wizard Boot Disk that almost all in this Forum prefer.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
10 Jan 2012   #8
AddRAM

Windows 7 Pro x64 Windows 10 Pro x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by yellowjacket03 View Post
Please see the attached screenshot that shows the partitions of my disk. I have just installed Windows 7 on the partition labeled C:. I would like to extend this volume by merging the 99.74GB C: partition with the 10.0GB "unallocated" partition that is the left. I have just learned that the Disk Management doesn't allow me to do this . How would be the best way to do this without having to reinstall the OS and applications?

OS: Windows 7 Home Premium 32-bit
1st question, where are you going to store your disc image ?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
10 Jan 2012   #9
wanchoo

Windows 7 Pro with SP1 32bit
 
 

That may depend on the imaging software used. Acronis TrueImage permits you to store the disk image on another partition/drive if one exists as a .tib file, or if you like it would create an Acronis Safe Zone special partition for you in which to store the image.

I have not used any other partitioning software.


Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by AddRAM View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by yellowjacket03 View Post
Please see the attached screenshot that shows the partitions of my disk. I have just installed Windows 7 on the partition labeled C:. I would like to extend this volume by merging the 99.74GB C: partition with the 10.0GB "unallocated" partition that is the left. I have just learned that the Disk Management doesn't allow me to do this . How would be the best way to do this without having to reinstall the OS and applications?

OS: Windows 7 Home Premium 32-bit
1st question, where are you going to store your disc image ?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
10 Jan 2012   #10
AddRAM

Windows 7 Pro x64 Windows 10 Pro x64
 
 

I was asking Yellowjacket specificly, where he was going to put an image.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Help with Extending Volume in Windows 7




Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Extending Volume to reclaim accidental shrinkage
I shrank my 2TB C drive to make a small partition for a Photoshop scratch disk. But I stupidly got my sums wrong and have shrunk it to 1TB. When I use the Extend Volume Wizard it say: Total volume 1907626 Maximum available 932714 Select the amount of space 932714 I would have expected it to...
Installation & Setup
Extending Volume or Partitioning Problem
Extending Volume or Partitioning Problem I have partitioned my hard disk into 3 partitions C, D and E now I face a problem of low disk space in C and I want to take the space from E which is to the right of C and not neighbor of C pleas help me how can I succeed this. I used procedures of...
General Discussion
Extending a Partition/Volume
In my friend's PC, I wanted to extend his (C) Drive's Size. But I failed to do it.Firstly, I used "Disk Management" to do it,then I used diskpart and then a Third Party Software. All of them failed to extend C drive. Screenshots : http://i.imgur.com/sYeeC.png...
General Discussion
Problem extending the volume size
Hi I have Windows 7 Prof x64. My hard drive is 1TB divided equally into 500 Gig partitions. The first partition is the c: drive with the OS and the second contained different data, I have now formatted the second partition and then deleted it in Disk Management. How do I extend the...
General Discussion
Extending Volume of SSD using a additional hard drive
I am running out of space on my SSD and i would like to extend it into an additional drive. Firstly is that possible and secondly how? ignore the bad english late night.
Hardware & Devices
Extending volume
Hey everyone. Not too long ago I created a new partition in order to store a full system backup on my laptop. Recently, I've tried to extend my main partition over that one to utilize the space I'd set apart for the backup since I was going to start backing up using optical media. When...
General Discussion


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 13:59.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App