Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: desktop.ini

17 Jan 2012   #1
t-4-2

Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit, SP1
 
 
desktop.ini

I had seen threads about it, but I cannot remember the answer.
Once a while, one of those desktop.ini would show itself. I just deleted it knowing that it was ok to do so.
Today, I added a Messenger shortcut on desktop, that desktop.ini icon shows up with my Messenger shortcut. ( see screenshot below.)
Someone please explain what is that darn icon for and what triggers ( how and why ) it to show up on my computer ?
Thank you.

t-4-2




My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
17 Jan 2012   #2
jloc

Windows 7 Ultimate
 
 

Open up My Documents > Click Organize and then click Folder and Search Options > Click the View Tab > Check 'Hide Protected Operating System Files'.

Hidden Files and Folders - Show or Hide

Desktop.ini should dissappear and never come back to haunt you again.

My System SpecsSystem Spec
17 Jan 2012   #3
t-4-2

Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit, SP1
 
 

Thank you.
That explains HOW it pops up uninvited.
The question of WHY it pops up needs answer.

t-4-2
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

17 Jan 2012   #4
Brink

64-bit Windows 10 Pro
 
 

Because you unhid it to then cause it to pop-up?

Another posssible reason is if you use this context menu item below in say Windows Explorer to toggle to unhide hidden files/folders, it will not show on the desktop until the desktop is refreshed or computer restarted.

Show - Hide Hidden Files - Add to Context Menu
My System SpecsSystem Spec
17 Jan 2012   #5
jloc

Windows 7 Ultimate
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by t-4-2 View Post
Thank you.
That explains HOW it pops up uninvited.
The question of WHY it pops up needs answer.

t-4-2
Desktop.ini is a system file which deals with common folders such as Downloads, Documents, Pictures, Music etc. When a change is made in these folders, Desktop.ini is updated. It's nothing to worry about, the file is same and it won't do any damage to your PC
My System SpecsSystem Spec
17 Jan 2012   #6
t-4-2

Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit, SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Brink View Post
Because you unhid it to then cause it to pop-up?

Another posssible reason is if you use this context menu item below in say Windows Explorer to toggle to unhide hidden files/folders, it will not show on the desktop until the desktop is refreshed or computer restarted.

Show - Hide Hidden Files - Add to Context Menu
I always keep the protected OS files unhidden, and I don't toggle between hide and unhide.
Now I know what to do to stop it from appearing.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
17 Jan 2012   #7
t-4-2

Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit, SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by jloc View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by t-4-2 View Post
Thank you.
That explains HOW it pops up uninvited.
The question of WHY it pops up needs answer.

t-4-2
Desktop.ini is a system file which deals with common folders such as Downloads, Documents, Pictures, Music etc. When a change is made in these folders, Desktop.ini is updated. It's nothing to worry about, the file is same and it won't do any damage to your PC
I know it is harmless, just puzzle why it has to show up.
Thank you.
I'd considered case closed.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
17 Jan 2012   #8
jloc

Windows 7 Ultimate
 
 

Glad you got it sorted, no problem
My System SpecsSystem Spec
17 Jan 2012   #9
Brink

64-bit Windows 10 Pro
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by t-4-2 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Brink View Post
Because you unhid it to then cause it to pop-up?

Another posssible reason is if you use this context menu item below in say Windows Explorer to toggle to unhide hidden files/folders, it will not show on the desktop until the desktop is refreshed or computer restarted.

Show - Hide Hidden Files - Add to Context Menu
I always keep the protected OS files unhidden, and I don't toggle between hide and unhide.
Now I know what to do to stop it from appearing.
The only thing I can think of is that you unhid them inadvertently somehow.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
17 Jan 2012   #10
t-4-2

Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit, SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Brink View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by t-4-2 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Brink View Post
Because you unhid it to then cause it to pop-up?

Another posssible reason is if you use this context menu item below in say Windows Explorer to toggle to unhide hidden files/folders, it will not show on the desktop until the desktop is refreshed or computer restarted.

Show - Hide Hidden Files - Add to Context Menu
I always keep the protected OS files unhidden, and I don't toggle between hide and unhide.
Now I know what to do to stop it from appearing.
The only thing I can think of is that you unhid them inadvertently somehow.
This is how I understand it.......
Hide the OS files, no desktop.ini
Unhide the OS files, desktop.ini pops up whenever it pleases.
And I had been unhiding OS files, therefore I kept getting those desktop.ini icons.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 desktop.ini




Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
icon created in xp-mode desktop not appearing in win7 desktop
first of all, thanks for all those who have aided me in getting to my virtual pc xp mode now please, a couple of NEW queries: query 1 I have installed a 16 bit DOS based application in the C: of the virtual XP Mode (it is a DOS based application, so there is no installing...
Virtualization
Desktop icon placement does not survive a desktop refresh or a reboot
Recently my desktop icon placement has not been able to stay put if I do a desktop refresh or a computer reboot. I have looked at many internet hits on this same topic and no solution suggested has worked. I've tried them all til I'm blue in the face! I have done the IconCache.db thing where...
General Discussion
Bing Desktop - Set Homepage Image as Desktop Background in Windows 7
How to Set or Unset Bing Homepage Image in Bing Desktop as Desktop Background in Windows 7 Bing Desktop is available for computers that are running XP, Vista, Windows 7, and Windows 8, as well as Windows Server 2008 and 2012, and is available in English (US), English (UK), French, German,...
Tutorials
Desktop creating two copies of files when moving items to desktop..
I've searched and I get not even one link on this. I have a clean install of Windows 7 plus Firefox and Dell Drivers.. My problem is it creates a ghost like file that really isn't there because if I delete one, the other becomes inaccessible and I have to manually refresh using F5. Also, when I...
General Discussion
Next Desktop Background - Add or Remove from Desktop Context Menu
Add or Remove "Next desktop background" from Desktop Context Menu in Windows 7 and Windows 8 A desktop slideshow is a slideshow of wallpaper images (pictures) of your choice on your desktop. When a desktop slideshow is being used in Windows 7 or Windows 8, Windows automatically adds Next...
Tutorials
Desktop icons i drag to desktop work but look ugly
I've looked around, no one else seems to be having this problem. I created shortcut icons for Word and the icons work fine but look like broken shortcuts. Most ppl suggest right click-properties-change icon. I do that and there are NO different options to choose from. Its a blank box. ...
General Discussion


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 13:56.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App