Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: How do I get Windows to prompt for Admin Credentials?

19 Jan 2012   #1

Windows 7 Ultimate 32 Bit
 
 
How do I get Windows to prompt for Admin Credentials?

On my laptop (running Win 7), I made 2 accounts, Admin and a standard user. When I am logged into the standard user, if i try to do something that needs elevated privileges such as deleting an icon, or installing a .exe file, the UAC will prompt me for Admin credentials which I will type in. However, on my desktop (Windows 7 Ultimate) I am trying to delete icons on the standard user account and it will NOT prompt for credentials. It will give me an error that says I do not have the correct privileges to do this (which I know I don't). I just don't know why I doesn't give me a chance to type in my admin credentials like it normally does on my laptop.

My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

19 Jan 2012   #2

Windows 8.1 Pro RTM x64
 
 

Hi Dimmadome and welcome to Windows 7 Forums

See if this helps: User Account Control (UAC) - Change Prompt Behavior for Standard Users
My System SpecsSystem Spec
19 Jan 2012   #3

Windows 7 Ultimate 32 Bit
 
 

Ok, now I have another problem.

If I to do something that requires administrative privileges (while I'm on logged on standard user) I will get the prompt to say I need admin rights which I hit Continue (shield next to it). It says I need to type in Admin password (which I know) however, there is no box to type in a password. It won't let me. However, I KNOW the password and if I had the option to type it in, it would work.

Has anyone seen this before?

I tried googling it and I saw a few responses but they were to no avail.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


19 Jan 2012   #4

Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit, SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Dimmadome View Post
Ok, now I have another problem.

If I to do something that requires administrative privileges (while I'm on logged on standard user) I will get the prompt to say I need admin rights which I hit Continue (shield next to it). It says I need to type in Admin password (which I know) however, there is no box to type in a password. It won't let me. However, I KNOW the password and if I had the option to type it in, it would work.

Has anyone seen this before?

I tried googling it and I saw a few responses but they were to no avail.
Create another standard user account and logon to it.
See if you have the same issues.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
19 Jan 2012   #5

Windows 7 Ultimate 32 Bit
 
 

Ok, so I made a new account, a standard user, and on that test account I am still experiencing the same problem.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
19 Jan 2012   #6

Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit, SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Dimmadome View Post
Ok, so I made a new account, a standard user, and on that test account I am still experiencing the same problem.
You have not disclosed the result of the tutorial given to you by Dwarf.
Have you tried it ?

If you had and it did not work, suggestions ......
1. Make sure your machine is clean. Run a full virus san.
2. Do a system file check to look for corrupt files. It will try to do repsir if any found.
SFC /SCANNOW Command - System File Checker
My System SpecsSystem Spec
19 Jan 2012   #7

Windows 7 Ultimate 32 Bit
 
 

After looking through the guide that Dwarf posted, I changed the security policies like it said which fixed my first problem of not having a prompt.

So Dwarf's guide, somewhat worked and got the prompts to pop up. However, now when they pop up there is no text box to type in an admin password.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
19 Jan 2012   #8

Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit, SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Dimmadome View Post
After looking through the guide that Dwarf posted, I changed the security policies like it said which fixed my first problem of not having a prompt.

So Dwarf's guide, somewhat worked and got the prompts to pop up. However, now when they pop up there is no text box to type in an admin password.
Since you have Ultimate, I'd assume you used Option One.
At the risk of being redundant, would you mind using Option Two and did the download ?

If Option Two no help, then perhaps have a go with my suggestions.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
19 Jan 2012   #9

Windows 7 Ultimate 32 Bit
 
 

I tried Option one (that Dwarf posted) and it was already completed. I already had that option on 'prompt for credentials. I also tried Option Two, and I downloaded the first 2 reg files, the prompt, and the prompt for secure desktops, and followed the instruction to 'merge'. Neither of them worked. Also, this was all done in safe mode.

Because even while I'm on my Admin account called Spezia, if I try to open secpol.msc it still says I need Admin privileges and asks me to type in the password with no space to type in the Admin password.

Edit: the system file scan also found nothing wrong with the integrity of my system.

I also ran MBAM, and did a scan, and it came up with 0 infected objects.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
19 Jan 2012   #10

Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit, SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Dimmadome View Post
I tried Option one (that Dwarf posted) and it was already completed. I already had that option on 'prompt for credentials. I also tried Option Two, and I downloaded the first 2 reg files, the prompt, and the prompt for secure desktops, and followed the instruction to 'merge'. Neither of them worked. Also, this was all done in safe mode.

Because even while I'm on my Admin account called Spezia, if I try to open secpol.msc it still says I need Admin privileges and asks me to type in the password with no space to type in the Admin password.

Edit: the system file scan also found nothing wrong with the integrity of my system.

I also ran MBAM, and did a scan, and it came up with 0 infected objects.
I apologize.
I am out of ideas.

t-4-2
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 How do I get Windows to prompt for Admin Credentials?




Thread Tools



Similar help and support threads for2: How do I get Windows to prompt for Admin Credentials?
Thread Forum
how to force W7 to ask again the credentials with admin account? General Discussion
Solved credentials admin account General Discussion
My Outlook Continues to Prompt You for Logon Credentials!! Browsers & Mail
User allowed to run executable as admin without prompt General Discussion
Windows Security Prompt for credentials Intermittent on Win7 not Xp Network & Sharing
Not being prompted for Admin credentials anymore General Discussion
Prompt users for credentials System Security

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:52 PM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33