Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: no admin privileges with password for limited users


24 Jan 2012   #1

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 
no admin privileges with password for limited users

I have encountered a curious problem at work. All clients use limited users and in this case there's a Windows 7 on x64 on which I don't have privileged access at all. The normal behaviour, as far as I know, is that when I try to access something that needs administrator privileges, a window shows up and asks me for a privileged user's password. There are two users on the machine (a user called "Admin", the other one being the limited user) and I expect this behaviour (the password windows popping up) when trying access something that needs privileges - this is what happens at home, for instance, as I don't use a privileged user for security reasons.
Any suggestions on how to make that window pop up?

Thanks

My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

24 Jan 2012   #2

Systems 1 and 2: Windows 7 Enterprise x64, Win 8 Developer
 
 

Are you the admin? Did you set up the limited user account? Just want to make sure you didn't lock yourself out.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
24 Jan 2012   #3

Windows 7 Ultimate 64-Bit SP1
 
 
Check your UAC settings.

I've encountered this issue at work several times, check the UAC settings on the system. In my experience you will not receive a prompt for administrator credentials if UAC is disabled. Even with UAC disabled, any process on a limited user account can not be elevated.

Hope this helps!

~V
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


24 Jan 2012   #4

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Thank you for your quick responses.
I haven't locked myself in I do have the admin's password, it's just that it's easier, for instance, to install programs straight form the limited user.

I'll check the UAC and I'll get back to you.

I found it curious that this happened, because at home I created a user called 'admin' with privileged access and I've limited my own user and it works just fine (I think I've already said that ).
My System SpecsSystem Spec
24 Jan 2012   #5

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

I've been going through the UAC at my computer (tomorrow I'm going to work) and I can't see any options there relevant to what I'm actually looking for. There's only a bar with 4 levels of notifications, which is quite different from what I was asking about. Any other suggestions?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
24 Jan 2012   #6

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bits 7601 Multiprocessor Free Service Pack 1
 
 

It's default!!! But can be changed by group policy. I don't recommend it!!

User Account Control: Behavior Of The Elevation Prompt For Standard Users: By default, this setting is Prompt For Credentials in workgroup environments and Automatically Deny Elevation Requests in domain environments. Prompt For Credentials causes UAC to prompt the user to enter an administrative user name and password. You can change this to Automatically Deny Elevation Requests to disable the UAC prompt. Disabling the prompt can improve security; however, the user might experience application failures because of denied privileges. If users do not have access to administrator credentials, you should disable the elevation prompt, because the user would not be able to provide credentials anyway. If you do not disable the prompt, users are likely to call the Support Center to ask for administrator credentials.

source: Group Policy Settings - Windows 7 Tutorial
My System SpecsSystem Spec
25 Jan 2012   #7

Windows 7 Ultimate 64-Bit SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by quas View Post
I've been going through the UAC at my computer (tomorrow I'm going to work) and I can't see any options there relevant to what I'm actually looking for. There's only a bar with 4 levels of notifications, which is quite different from what I was asking about. Any other suggestions?
If UAC is completely disabled, it will cause the issue you're having. The slider will be on the lowest level.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
27 Jan 2012   #8

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 
uac worked

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by V43L1N View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by quas View Post
I've been going through the UAC at my computer (tomorrow I'm going to work) and I can't see any options there relevant to what I'm actually looking for. There's only a bar with 4 levels of notifications, which is quite different from what I was asking about. Any other suggestions?
If UAC is completely disabled, it will cause the issue you're having. The slider will be on the lowest level.
It wasn't disabled. I eventually figured it out. In win 7 professional, it seems that the default behaviour doesn't make the elevation prompt to pop up, as it does in win 7 ultimate. So I did change the uac level and it did work.
So thanks for your responses
My System SpecsSystem Spec
27 Jan 2012   #9

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bits 7601 Multiprocessor Free Service Pack 1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by quas View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by V43L1N View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by quas View Post
I've been going through the UAC at my computer (tomorrow I'm going to work) and I can't see any options there relevant to what I'm actually looking for. There's only a bar with 4 levels of notifications, which is quite different from what I was asking about. Any other suggestions?
If UAC is completely disabled, it will cause the issue you're having. The slider will be on the lowest level.
It wasn't disabled. I eventually figured it out. In win 7 professional, it seems that the default behaviour doesn't make the elevation prompt to pop up, as it does in win 7 ultimate. So I did change the uac level and it did work.
So thanks for your responses
Not true. This is why no admin privileges with password for limited users
My System SpecsSystem Spec
27 Jan 2012   #10

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

You've only given a link to this thread
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 no admin privileges with password for limited users




Thread Tools



Similar help and support threads for2: no admin privileges with password for limited users
Thread Forum
Allowing limited users Admin priviliges problem General Discussion
Solved WinUpdate made Admin act as no admin privileges available? Windows Updates & Activation
Used System Password Reset And Now Have Minimal Access for Admin/Users General Discussion
Saying I don't have admin privileges... General Discussion
admin privileges General Discussion
Admin acount no longer has admin privileges? General Discussion

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:05 AM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33