Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Nothing happens when i try to start my computer.


28 Jan 2012   #1

Windows 7 Professional 32bit
 
 
Nothing happens when i try to start my computer.

So, last night i put my computer to sleep like i usually do and it powered down as usual. But when i tried to start it up this morning nothing happened, not even a fan buzz. The LEDs on my keyboard was lit but nothing else. I tried to reset the power using the power switch on the back but that didn't help.
I noticed though that my keyboard LEDs went black when i tried to power up my computer.
I think it might be the PSU failing but im not sure.
The computer is from -06 with upgraded graphics, RAM and HDD. But last upgrade was several months ago.

Would be nice to know what the cause is so i can fix it asap (typing this on my ubuntu laptop and i need my gaming fix ).


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

28 Jan 2012   #2
Azo

Windows 7 Home Premium 64Bit
 
 

I think you should check your PSU. Does your motherboard light up? Also on a second thought, open the cabinet and see if the CPU fan has been blocked by somehow i.e. it doesn't rotate. Do let us know about your findings.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 Jan 2012   #3

Windows 7 Professional 32bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Azo View Post
I think you should check your PSU. Does your motherboard light up? Also on a second thought, open the cabinet and see if the CPU fan has been blocked by somehow i.e. it doesn't rotate. Do let us know about your findings.
All fans are rotating, but i don't see any lit LEDs on the motherboard.
How do i easily test the PSU? I don't have access to an multimeter atm but may have one on monday.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


28 Jan 2012   #4
Azo

Windows 7 Home Premium 64Bit
 
 

This link will give you how to do it the multimeter way: How Do I Test the Power Supply in My Computer?
But here's an easier way...is the PSU fan running? If it's not....there's a snag. But as you say your all other fans are running I am starting to get skeptic on my previous answer. Perhaps a connector is multifunctional. Do this....try swapping the RAMs. Open each stick, swap there places and try starting the PC. Let us know what happened.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 Jan 2012   #5

Windows 7 Professional 32bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Azo View Post
This link will give you how to do it the multimeter way: How Do I Test the Power Supply in My Computer?
But here's an easier way...is the PSU fan running? If it's not....there's a snag. But as you say your all other fans are running I am starting to get skeptic on my previous answer. Perhaps a connector is multifunctional. Do this....try swapping the RAMs. Open each stick, swap there places and try starting the PC. Let us know what happened.
Ok, maybe I gave false info on the fans; They do not start spinning when i press the power button, I just checked if they were stuck using my finger :P. I unplugged and replugged all the power connectors on the mobo and swapped the RAMs but still nothing.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 Jan 2012   #6

Win xp sp 2 32bit
 
 

Just take off BIOS element if u didn't see BIOS login in your monitor. Wait nearly 15-20 minute and return it to his place. it must help.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 Jan 2012   #7
Azo

Windows 7 Home Premium 64Bit
 
 

Definitely a PSU problem (if not others). I think Multimeter test is our best bet now.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 Jan 2012   #8

Windows 7 Professional 32bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Adsl2 View Post
Just take off BIOS element if u didn't see BIOS login in your monitor. Wait nearly 15-20 minute and return it to his place. it must help.
Is BIOS element the same as CMOS battery? If thats the case i have already tried it but no luck. Maybe i didn't wait long enough (maybe 5-10 min). Shall i try again?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 Jan 2012   #9

Windows 7 Professional 32bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Azo View Post
Definitely a PSU problem (if not others). I think Multimeter test is our best bet now.
Ok, thanks for helping though. Will test the PSU on monday and see what happens.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 Jan 2012   #10
Azo

Windows 7 Home Premium 64Bit
 
 

Do let me know ! Happy to help !
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Nothing happens when i try to start my computer.




Thread Tools



Similar help and support threads for2: Nothing happens when i try to start my computer.
Thread Forum
Can't start my computer General Discussion
Solved Computer Will Not Start Hardware & Devices
Computer cannot start up - Start up repair General Discussion
Solved i cant start up my computer! General Discussion
Computer doesn't start cant get into bios or advanced start up setting General Discussion
Solved Computer will not start General Discussion
My Computer will not start up BSOD Help and Support

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:44 AM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33