Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.



Windows 7: How do I search for multiple files in a particular directory

01 Feb 2012   #1

windows 7 64bit
 
 
How do I search for multiple files in a particular directory

With windows 7 I don't seem to be able to find an advanced search option like XP has. I am trying to bring up multiple file types in a certain directory. In other words, in the programx directory, I want to find all files with the extension .aaa, .bbb, and .ccc. How do I do this in Windows 7?

My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

01 Feb 2012   #2

Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 - 64 Bit
 
 

Download Everything, it does that for you.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
01 Feb 2012   #3

Systems 1 and 2: Windows 7 Enterprise x64, Win 8 Developer
 
 

No need for an install. We can just use boolean logic (AND, OR). For instance, if I want to find all bat and txt files, I can use: "*.bat AND *.txt" without the quotes.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


01 Feb 2012   #4

Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1
 
 

You definitely don't need to mess with third-party apps. I would be very fearful of how they would muck up my indexing and other system components.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
01 Feb 2012   #5

Windows 7 Pro x64 (1), Win7 Pro X64 / WinXP Pro x86 on (2)
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by cincihal View Post
With windows 7 I don't seem to be able to find an advanced search option like XP has. I am trying to bring up multiple file types in a certain directory. In other words, in the programx directory, I want to find all files with the extension .aaa, .bbb, and .ccc. How do I do this in Windows 7?
As has already been suggested, a superb ALTERNATIVE to the Windows 7 search is a fabulous little product named Everything.

It is much simpler to use than Windows 7's search, and it is based on an index that it maintains in realtime anytime you do anything relating to file names. As you type your search (using whatever intuitive full/partial or wildcard syntax you can dream up, limited to a drive or not, limited to a folder or not, etc., etc., etc... exactly as you'd intuitively hope for) the "hit list" appears on the screen. The more you type, the shorter is the "hit list"... exactly as you'd expect. The search of the index is occurring simultaneous with your typing, so the search is effectively INSTANTANEOUS.

And the "hit list" is of course Explorer-compatible, so there's a right-click context menu on files selected from that "hit list", etc., etc.

Yes, Windows 7's search is powerful and sophisticated. Is it as simple and straightforward as the old WinXP search? No. Is Everything truly everything you wanted in a quick-and-easy filename search? Yes. There's an object running in the System Tray, you right-click on it and select "new search", and then start typing in the window that appears. Could not be easier, more intuitive, or speedier.

Just try it. You'll like it, I'm sure. It is totally independent of Windows 7's search and does not preclude your also using Windows 7's search.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
01 Feb 2012   #6

XP / Win7 x64 Pro
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by DeaconFrost View Post
You definitely don't need to mess with third-party apps.
Unfortunately, it's many people's first thought to download some other third party app to manage file searches instead of learning how Windows 7 natively does it. I will agree in some cases a third party file manager can make things much easier (for instance certain bulk renaming actions), however in most cases it's just a lack of understanding of Windows 7's search capabilities rather than the actual lack of ability for Windows 7 to properly search for things. As Lemur already pointed out, this search is easily achieved with Boolean operators in the search box.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
01 Feb 2012   #7

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 8.1 Pro Preview with Media Center
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by FliGi7 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by DeaconFrost View Post
You definitely don't need to mess with third-party apps.
Unfortunately, it's many people's first thought to download some other third party app to manage file searches instead of learning how Windows 7 natively does it. I will agree in some cases a third party file manager can make things much easier (for instance certain bulk renaming actions), however in most cases it's just a lack of understanding of Windows 7's search capabilities rather than the actual lack of ability for Windows 7 to properly search for things. As Lemur already pointed out, this search is easily achieved with Boolean operators in the search box.
+1.

Windows 7 Search is a powerful tool, I can see no reason to install again one third party app to do something that can easily be done with native Windows tools.

Kari
My System SpecsSystem Spec
01 Feb 2012   #8

Systems 1 and 2: Windows 7 Enterprise x64, Win 8 Developer
 
 

+1 to the +1 of the +1.

I reviewed the text of "Everything" (sounds all encompassing).

Wildcard (e.g., ?, *) function within MS Windows search, similar to "Everything".

A vertical bar in EVERYTHING is the same as "OR"

You can use quotes to include a space (e.g., "united states")

There's no need to run a second index.

Windows will handle other features, but you get the gist.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
01 Feb 2012   #9

XP / Win7 x64 Pro
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Lemur View Post
+1 to the +1 of the +1.

I reviewed the text of "Everything" (sounds all encompassing).

Wildcard (e.g., ?, *) function within MS Windows search, similar to "Everything".

A vertical bar in EVERYTHING is the same as "OR"

You can use quotes to include a space (e.g., "united states")

There's no need to run a second index.

Windows will handle other features, but you get the gist.
But, recommending someone learn the search features of Windows7 doesn't allow the misguided opportunity to bash a feature one knows nothing about. That sounds a lot less cool.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
02 Feb 2012   #10

windows 7 64bit
 
 

It looks like there are differing opinions on this subject and I will have to say that the Windows 7 search utility is not as intuitive as some seem to think. I did as I Lemur suggested, I opened up My Documents and in the search box in the upper right, typed *.doc And *.txt, checking first to make sure there were actually some of those files types in that directory first. the result was "No items match your search".
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 How do I search for multiple files in a particular directory





Thread Tools




Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:00 PM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33