Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Entered wrong password...


14 Feb 2012   #1

Windows 7 x64 Professional
 
 
Entered wrong password...

I changed the pasword on my laptop with a 20 digit random sequence of letters and numbers. Seemed like a good idea at the time Anyway I obviously wasn't paying attention because I didn't enter what I wrote down, now I can't remember what the password is. Is there anyway I can change it/delete it?

I know I can do a complete reinstall but that is a last resort. Please help. Quickly!

Btw I am currently still logged on...

My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

14 Feb 2012   #2

Win7 Ultimate x64 SP1 / WCP x64 / Ubuntu 11 x64
 
 

The administrator account can change your user account password. Here is how you enable the administrator account (while logged on). After the admin account has been created, simply logon to it, and change your user account password.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
14 Feb 2012   #3

Windows 7 Pro with SP1 32bit
 
 

If you are the Administrator then I don't think there is any other option but to do a clean install again.

If there was a way to change or delete it then there would be no sense in the password protection. Anybody could then lay hands on your computer and access your data.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


14 Feb 2012   #4

Windows 7 x64 Professional
 
 

Thanks Influx. I forgot to mention that mine was an administrator account. Will your suggestion work with my account?

I have been googling password reset tools, are they any good?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
14 Feb 2012   #5

Win7 Ultimate x64 SP1 / WCP x64 / Ubuntu 11 x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by bigseb View Post
Thanks Influx. I forgot to mention that mine was an administrator account. Will your suggestion work with my account?

I have been googling password reset tools, are they any good?
Yes, most likely. I haven't tried any reset tools. I'd rather not try these 3rd party reseters.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
14 Feb 2012   #6

Windows 7 x64 Professional
 
 

Well here's a question: if I enable the admin account do I need a password to log into that? And will that allow me to reset/change my account's password without asking for the old one first? I have a lot ofm data on here that I can't afford to lose and only a two gig flash, not enough for backup.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
14 Feb 2012   #7

Win7 Ultimate x64 SP1 / WCP x64 / Ubuntu 11 x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by wanchoo View Post
If you are the Administrator then I don't think there is any other option but to do a clean install again.

If there was a way to change or delete it then there would be no sense in the password protection. Anybody could then lay hands on your computer and access your data.
Of course, there is. Especially because he is logged on, but it can be easily cracked without even logged on though, but that's a prohibited discussion here.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
14 Feb 2012   #8

Win7 Ultimate x64 SP1 / WCP x64 / Ubuntu 11 x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by bigseb View Post
Well here's a question: if I enable the admin account do I need a password to log into that? And will that allow me to reset/change my account's password without asking for the old one first? I have a lot ofm data on here that I can't afford to lose and only a two gig flash, not enough for backup.
Unless you've set a password for the admin account in the past, and you don't remember it, you can't login to the admin account . Otherwise, you can, and you may change the password with the admin account without the old password.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
14 Feb 2012   #9

Windows 7 x64 Professional
 
 

Influx, I have enabled the admin account. If I log out now and then log into the administrator account can I change or reset my account's password (also an admin account) and then log back into my account? I have a ton of work data on here and nothing to back up with...
My System SpecsSystem Spec
14 Feb 2012   #10

Win7 Ultimate x64 SP1 / WCP x64 / Ubuntu 11 x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by bigseb View Post
Influx, I have enabled the admin account. If I log out now and then log into the administrator account can I change or reset my account's password (also an admin account) and then log back into my account? I have a ton of work data on here and nothing to back up with...
Yes, I have tested this on my system. You can change it without entering the old password. Good luck.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Entered wrong password...




Thread Tools




Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:47 PM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33