Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Unmoveable System Files other than pagefile and hiberfil?


17 Feb 2012   #1

windows 7 home premium 64bit
 
 
Unmoveable System Files other than pagefile and hiberfil?

I am trying to shrink a C:\ partition on a Dell R14 laptop running Windows 7 Home Premium 64. I moved the pagefile to D, removed hiberfil.sys, and there are still files way out at 200GB somewhere in a folder, unmoveable by Perfect Disk. No Restore points; System Volume Information is empty.
What could these files be, and how do I eliminate or move them temporarily? My aim is to have a windows partition of around 50GB (for easier and smaller imaging), and have my apps on D: and data on E: This was easy in XP.

My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

17 Feb 2012   #2

 
 

If you try to SHRINK via Windows Disk Management applet, in the event log (Event Viewer), a record is written that specifies what file prevented shrinking further leftwards (smaller). Can't recall which event viewer log, but might be system log or something.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
17 Feb 2012   #3
whs
Microsoft MVP

Vista, Windows7, Mint Mate, Zorin, Windows 8
 
 

The file that is 'Way out' is the MFT (master file table). Disk Management cannot move that. You have to use the bootable CD of Partition Wizard. That will move it during the shrinking process.

I recommend to make an image of your C:\ before you manipulate it - just in case.

Btw: moving the pagefile to another partition/disk makes no sense.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


17 Feb 2012   #4

windows 7 home premium 64bit
 
 
Problem solved

Thanks, WHS, the Partition Wizard CD took care of my problem. It does make sense to relocate the pagefile to another partition if your aim is to keep C: small for easier imaging. Hiberfil has to be on C: though.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
17 Feb 2012   #5
whs
Microsoft MVP

Vista, Windows7, Mint Mate, Zorin, Windows 8
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by bododiehn View Post
Thanks, WHS, the Partition Wizard CD took care of my problem. It does make sense to relocate the pagefile to another partition if your aim is to keep C: small for easier imaging. Hiberfil has to be on C: though.
Nah, relocating the pagefile for imaging is certainly the wrong reason. Since it is most likely empty or nearly empty when you image, it will be compressed to nothing. It is a lot more practical to leave it where it is and set it to 2GBs.

And for what do you need the hiberfile. Very few people use hibernation these days. In my book it is a completely useless vintage function. Especially with a SSD. When I walk away from my system, I shut it off. I can wait the 15 seconds it takes to reboot.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
17 Feb 2012   #6

7 Ultimate x64/7 Home Premium x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by bododiehn View Post
It does make sense to relocate the pagefile to another partition if your aim is to keep C: small for easier imaging.
I have my pagefile relocated to a dedicated partition on another HDD, but not for disk imaging; my imaging software has options to leave the pagefile and hiberfil.sys out of the image.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
17 Feb 2012   #7

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

One reason someone may want to hibernate rather than shutdown is they still have a bunch of "work/stuff" in progress opened and don't have time or feel like spending the time save/close/organize before killing it. Or, they have a bunch of windows opened and arranged "just right" for some particular task. I use it on laptops rather often.

BTW, Clonezilla allows you to make a clone of a disk/partition while omitting both the pagefile and the hibernate file. Works just fine; I use it all the time when fixing other's machines. If you need to use the clone to restore the disk Windows just creates the two files on the fly.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
17 Feb 2012   #8

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by bbearren View Post
I have my pagefile relocated to a dedicated partition on another HDD, but not for disk imaging; my imaging software has options to leave the pagefile and hiberfil.sys out of the image.
Clonezilla? Or something else.

Moved the pagefile for speed? I had done the same to a couple machines in the past: make sure the partition was first on the disk (on the outer edge), only large enough for the pagefile (plus a little free space), and formatted as FAT32.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
17 Feb 2012   #9
whs
Microsoft MVP

Vista, Windows7, Mint Mate, Zorin, Windows 8
 
 

Quote:
One reason someone may want to hibernate rather than shutdown is they still have a bunch of "work/stuff" in progress opened and don't have time or feel like spending the time save/close/organize before killing it. Or, they have a bunch of windows opened and arranged "just right" for some particular task. I use it on laptops rather often.
Yeah, I can see that. I guess I am never in such a serious position. My PCs are only toys and not for real work.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
17 Feb 2012   #10

7 Ultimate x64/7 Home Premium x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by sibbil View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by bbearren View Post
I have my pagefile relocated to a dedicated partition on another HDD, but not for disk imaging; my imaging software has options to leave the pagefile and hiberfil.sys out of the image.
Clonezilla? Or something else.

Moved the pagefile for speed? I had done the same to a couple machines in the past: make sure the partition was first on the disk (on the outer edge), only large enough for the pagefile (plus a little free space), and formatted as FAT.
I use BootIt by TeraByte Unlimited for boot manager, partition work, drive imaging, etc.
And yes, the pagefile is the first partition on the second disk, 4.5GB FAT32 with a 4GB fixed pagefile. I use the same setup with every machine.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Unmoveable System Files other than pagefile and hiberfil?




Thread Tools



Similar help and support threads for2: Unmoveable System Files other than pagefile and hiberfil?
Thread Forum
Pagefile, Temporary Int Files, Temp files reset after update Performance & Maintenance
How to delete hiberfil.sys from a non-system drive? Performance & Maintenance
Solved Wanting to shrink C: drive (OS) the has unmoveable files Backup and Restore
Solved PageFile.sys & Hiberfil.sys - Delete Safe? Performance & Maintenance
How can I securely delete pagefile.sys and hiberfil.sys? General Discussion
Win7 Memory hog pagefile and hiberfil? Performance & Maintenance
pagefile.sys & hiberfil.sys General Discussion

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:29 AM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33