Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Suggestion required for installation


23 Feb 2012   #1

Windows 8 Professional x64
 
 
Suggestion required for installation

I am planning to install windows 7 on my friends PC..
His PC configuration is
1 GB RAM
500 GB HDD
Pentium D processor..

I thought of installing windows 7 x86 Home basic..What do you guys suggest??


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

23 Feb 2012   #2

Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1
 
 

That's about the only version I'd install on that system. I would try to talk him into more memory as well. What video card is currently in the system?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
23 Feb 2012   #3

Windows 8 Professional x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by DeaconFrost View Post
That's about the only version I'd install on that system. I would try to talk him into more memory as well. What video card is currently in the system?
I told him to add 1 gb extra but he refused to..He has an board graphic card probably 128 MB as I recall.I told him that installing HP would slow down..
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


23 Feb 2012   #4

Windows 7 ultimate 64-bit
 
 

i agree; he does need to get some extra memory in that thing simply for the reason being that while I do believe windows 7 uses more memory overall then xp, etc; it uses that memory more effectively then xp, etc. If u try to install it with only the very minimum amount of memory; more than likely u will have very sluggish and slow performance if Im thinking correctly.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
23 Feb 2012   #5

Windows 8 Professional x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by matts6887 View Post
i agree; he does need to get some extra memory in that thing simply for the reason being that while I do believe windows 7 uses more memory overall then xp, etc; it uses that memory more effectively then xp, etc. If u try to install it with only the very minimum amount of memory; more than likely u will have very sluggish and slow performance if Im thinking correctly.
I mentioned the same to him..But he is determined to run windows 7 on his PC.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
23 Feb 2012   #6
Arc

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit SP 1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by bagavan View Post
I mentioned the same to him..But he is determined to run windows 7 on his PC.
Then do it, as he wants. But before that, tell him to not call you within two days again for installing anything else . I guess he will not be satisfied with the performance of windows 7
My System SpecsSystem Spec
23 Feb 2012   #7

Windows 7 ultimate 64-bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by bagavan View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by matts6887 View Post
i agree; he does need to get some extra memory in that thing simply for the reason being that while I do believe windows 7 uses more memory overall then xp, etc; it uses that memory more effectively then xp, etc. If u try to install it with only the very minimum amount of memory; more than likely u will have very sluggish and slow performance if Im thinking correctly.
I mentioned the same to him..But he is determined to run windows 7 on his PC.
Well; u might also want to mention that if he runs only the minimum amount of memory; he might risk windows crashing(aka blue screen errors); which if unresolved can lead to operating system damage due to the fact that windows does not have enough memory to function properly when trying to perform several functions at once. If he does not want that then he needs to put at least an extra gig of memory in it; also u could mention that memory these days is very inexpensive compared to what it used to be and is a very worthwhile performance upgrade for a relatively inexpensive price.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
23 Feb 2012   #8

Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1
 
 

He isn't going to BSoD just from having too little memory. The system will just need to do more caching than normal, which results in the slow down. That isn't going to corrupt the OS at all.

Now that we've gotten that out of the way, Home Basic should be fine, because his graphics card sounds like it wouldn't support Aero anyway. I've put Home Basic on computers around that speed, and it's been fine. Don't expect miracles or a lightning fast system, but it will run at a very usable level for the basics. Even if you loaded Home Premium, it would end up looking like Home Basic due to the lack of Aero support.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
24 Feb 2012   #9

Windows 8 Professional x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by DeaconFrost View Post
He isn't going to BSoD just from having too little memory. The system will just need to do more caching than normal, which results in the slow down. That isn't going to corrupt the OS at all.

Now that we've gotten that out of the way, Home Basic should be fine, because his graphics card sounds like it wouldn't support Aero anyway. I've put Home Basic on computers around that speed, and it's been fine. Don't expect miracles or a lightning fast system, but it will run at a very usable level for the basics. Even if you loaded Home Premium, it would end up looking like Home Basic due to the lack of Aero support.
He is a basic computer user.Just uses it to view photos and browse the net.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
24 Feb 2012   #10

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Hi Bagavan
I'm with the rest, support you to install it after explaining the possible result.
Days after, when he runs back to you, Just first say: "I told you, didn't I?"
Let the man has his good experience, and learn from it. And, you are certainly there to help.

Kevin
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Suggestion required for installation




Thread Tools



Similar help and support threads for2: Suggestion required for installation
Thread Forum
Windows cannot copy files required for installation. Error 0x80070070 Installation & Setup
Need little help Here any Suggestion is welcome Gaming
Help required with Installation Error Software
Cabinet Suggestion Required PC Custom Builds and Overclocking
COD 4 DX9 installation required on top of DX11 ? Gaming

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:35 AM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33