Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.



Windows 7: Explorer.exe crash

20 Aug 2009   #1

Windows 7 Build 7100
 
 
Explorer.exe crash

Hi guys, first time poster here, since this is the first problem i've had since i installed windows 7 about a month ago. I was wondering if you guys could help me with a problem i'm having.

My problem started after i installed the quick cam software for a logitech web cam i just bought. Once the installation finished, explorer.exe crashed, and kept crashing every time i tried to restart it. I tried restarting the computer, and it starts up to the log in screen without a problem, but once i log in explorer crashes again, and i'm left with a black screen.

I tried booting in safe mode, which was stable, but it would not allow me start the windows installer service to uninstall the quick cam software. I then tried deleting the quick cam entry in the registry and quick cam files in the program files folder to try and do an ugly uninstall. This still did not solve my problem. I even tried logging into a different account on the same computer, but the same thing happened.

The error code that i'm getting from windows is as follows;
Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: explorer.exe
Application Version: 6.1.7100.0
Application Timestamp: 49ee974f
Fault Module Name: kernel32.dll
Fault Module Version: 6.1.7100.0
Fault Module Timestamp: 49eeaac7
Exception Code: c0000005
Exception Offset: 0000000000003892
OS Version: 6.1.7100.2.0.0.256.1
Locale ID: 1033
Additional Information 1: d8fd
Additional Information 2: d8fd8161e9ac0930383dc216f4c34d70
Additional Information 3: a87e
Additional Information 4: a87eb7be9617da7857e04259db193484

If anyone has any advice or ideas on how to fix this issue short of reinstalling my os, i will be greatly appreciative.

Thanks,
J.FreaxXx

My System SpecsSystem Spec
20 Aug 2009   #2

Win 8 Release candidate 8400
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by JFreaxXx View Post
Hi guys, first time poster here, since this is the first problem i've had since i installed windows 7 about a month ago. I was wondering if you guys could help me with a problem i'm having.

My problem started after i installed the quick cam software for a logitech web cam i just bought. Once the installation finished, explorer.exe crashed, and kept crashing every time i tried to restart it. I tried restarting the computer, and it starts up to the log in screen without a problem, but once i log in explorer crashes again, and i'm left with a black screen.

I tried booting in safe mode, which was stable, but it would not allow me start the windows installer service to uninstall the quick cam software. I then tried deleting the quick cam entry in the registry and quick cam files in the program files folder to try and do an ugly uninstall. This still did not solve my problem. I even tried logging into a different account on the same computer, but the same thing happened.

The error code that i'm getting from windows is as follows;
Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: explorer.exe
Application Version: 6.1.7100.0
Application Timestamp: 49ee974f
Fault Module Name: kernel32.dll
Fault Module Version: 6.1.7100.0
Fault Module Timestamp: 49eeaac7
Exception Code: c0000005
Exception Offset: 0000000000003892
OS Version: 6.1.7100.2.0.0.256.1
Locale ID: 1033
Additional Information 1: d8fd
Additional Information 2: d8fd8161e9ac0930383dc216f4c34d70
Additional Information 3: a87e
Additional Information 4: a87eb7be9617da7857e04259db193484

If anyone has any advice or ideas on how to fix this issue short of reinstalling my os, i will be greatly appreciative.

Thanks,
J.FreaxXx

Freax

Hi and welcome to seven forums

Do you have a backup to restore from?

If not you could attempt a repair install.

You can also run the system file checker by running SFC/scannow

Hope this helps

Ken
My System SpecsSystem Spec
20 Aug 2009   #3

windows 7 HP 64bit
 
 

None of the above means anything to me so i cant advise on it but have you tried looking in msconfig to disable any of the quickcam apps that might be running at start up?
It might help.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


20 Aug 2009   #4

 

System restore.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
20 Aug 2009   #5

Windows 7 Build 7100
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Antman View Post
System restore.
Tried this, didn't work.

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Fliplip View Post
None of the above means anything to me so i cant advise on it but have you tried looking in msconfig to disable any of the quickcam apps that might be running at start up?
It might help.
Tried this as well. Even though the logitech stuff is now disabled, i am still getting the problem.

[QUOTE=zigzag3143;232423
Do you have a backup to restore from?

If not you could attempt a repair install.

You can also run the system file checker by running SFC/scannow

Hope this helps

Ken[/QUOTE]

I'm running the sfc right now, and i lent my install disk out to a friend, but i'll try the repair install later.
Thanks for trying so far though, guys.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
20 Aug 2009   #6

Windows 7 Build 7100
 
 

The SFC came up ok, but while it was running, i had a dialog box pop up with this error code;

::{26EE0668-A00A-44d7-9371-BEB064C98683}\5\::{BB64F8A7-BEE7-4E1A-AB8D-7D8273f7fDB...

Server execution failed

I guess i will try doing a repair installation later and see what happens.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
20 Aug 2009   #7

windows 7
 
 

While you are viewing the black screen Press ctrl+Shift+Esc, this will open task manager.

In task manager click on Application tab newtask, a new window will open in that window type appwiz.cpl.

This will open the program and features window. There you can uninstall the software.

Restart and keep us informed
My System SpecsSystem Spec
20 Aug 2009   #8

Windows 7 Build 7100
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Delphin View Post
While you are viewing the black screen Press ctrl+Shift+Esc, this will open task manager.

In task manager click on Application tab newtask, a new window will open in that window type appwiz.cpl.

This will open the program and features window. There you can uninstall the software.

Restart and keep us informed
After i type appwiz.cpl and press enter, i just get the box that says explorer has crashed again
My System SpecsSystem Spec
20 Aug 2009   #9

Windows 7 Build 7100
 
 

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, the problem has fixed itself somehow! I went to restart my computer to try the system repair with the install disc, but i had a shutdown option to shutdown and install updates, it installed an update, and while it was rebooting i missed my time window to have my pc boot from the disc. Well, it booted up normally, went to the log in screen and i decided to log in to check my facebook, and like some sorta christmas miracle it's working fine now!
I'd like to thank everyone who tried to help me again, i'll be giving out as much rep as i can.
Thanks a bunch!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
20 Aug 2009   #10

windows 7
 
 

happy to hear that
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Explorer.exe crash





Thread Tools



Similar help and support threads for2: Explorer.exe crash
Thread Forum
【Explorer Crash】netcfgx.dll caused explorer.exe crash BSOD Help and Support
Explorer.exe crash ? BSOD Help and Support
Explorer Crash BSOD Help and Support
explorer crash BSOD Help and Support
Explorer.exe Crash BSOD Help and Support
Explorer.exe crash Drivers
Explorer crash! BSOD Help and Support

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:42 AM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33