Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: buying windows 7 i'm concerned about .......


03 Mar 2012   #1

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 
buying windows 7 i'm concerned about .......

Hello,

I've got Windows 7 home premium 64 bit some functionality like the security policy editor or the grouppolicy editor are not included in this version so i'm considering a "anytime upgrade" to Ultimate i found this but it says at the bottom

Quote:
Online Code Currently, this item is available only to customers located in the United States and who have a U.S. billing address.
My first remark is why are americans permitted to get Windows 7 allot cheaper then people in Europe?.I smell discrimination ....

Secondly i'm not american so i'm worried i'm gonna pay for nothing here.I might aswell go directly to Microsoft it may be more expensive but at least i would be sure there is nothing illegal on my computer.

any thoughts ?

My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

03 Mar 2012   #2

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 Ult. x64 Windows 8.1 x64
 
 

Hi Erik,

The safest option is to purchase directly from the MS store.

Regards,
Golden
My System SpecsSystem Spec
03 Mar 2012   #3

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Golden View Post
Hi Erik,

The safest option is to purchase directly from the MS store.

Regards,
Golden
that's what i thought allright gonna check it out.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


03 Mar 2012   #4
Microsoft MVP

 

I would ask Amazon the question. They are an American company and may have certain restrictions selling across international borders.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
03 Mar 2012   #5
TAH

W7HP-32bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Erikbe View Post
Hello,

I've got Windows 7 home premium 64 bit some functionality like the security policy editor or the grouppolicy editor are not included in this version so i'm considering a "anytime upgrade" to Ultimate i found this but it says at the bottom

Quote:
Online Code Currently, this item is available only to customers located in the United States and who have a U.S. billing address.
My first remark is why are americans permitted to get Windows 7 allot cheaper then people in Europe?.I smell discrimination ....

Secondly i'm not american so i'm worried i'm gonna pay for nothing here.I might aswell go directly to Microsoft it may be more expensive but at least i would be sure there is nothing illegal on my computer.

any thoughts ?

Give some of the free alternatives a look (Linux) before spending more money on Windows 7 versions. Check out all the things that were removed from Windows XP to Windows 7 in the wikipedia posting (I posted the link).
List of features removed in Windows 7 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

If you need to stick with Windows, XP can still be found for very low prices, and that may be worth a look. XP Pro has the features you mention and can be made very secure. The problem with XP is finding hardware drivers since Microsoft pretty well forced all hardware makers to get on board with Windows 7.

I still have 8 of my nine personal computers running XP Pro and I have half the problems with them versus the one Windows 7 system. I have been a system administrator for over 15 years and the most difficult systems to keep running are the ones with Windows 7. Reinstall is still a common feature with the Pro and Ultimate versions. Maybe by the time service pack 3 or 4 comes out Windows 7 may be stable.

Just remember Microsoft charges more for Windows 7 than any previous version of Windows and you get less features. They just put lipstick and a new dress on top and charge you more. So check all alternatives before doing an upchange.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
03 Mar 2012   #6

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 Ult. x64 Windows 8.1 x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by TAH View Post
I have been a system administrator for over 15 years and the most difficult systems to keep running are the ones with Windows 7. Reinstall is still a common feature with the Pro and Ultimate versions. Maybe by the time service pack 3 or 4 comes out Windows 7 may be stable.
What?

Windows 7 is by far the most stable Windows yet. I have yet to do a reinstall after 3 years, and I'm running the Ultimate x64 version. Windows 7 is stable & rock-solid.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
03 Mar 2012   #7

Windows 7 Pro X64 SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Erikbe View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Golden View Post
Hi Erik,

The safest option is to purchase directly from the MS store.

Regards,
Golden
that's what i thought allright gonna check it out.
Belgium is on the list of countries where the Anytime Upgrade is available for sale through download.

I have no idea whether there are authorized resellers who can provide the service there, or whether you have to get it at full list price from Microsoft.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
03 Mar 2012   #8

Windows 7 32 bit
 
 

If you have the money to spare then upgrade is fine. If you are on a budget, other than handling a higher max memory, many things can be worked around via utilities. For example, Home Premium does not have "previous versions of files" but you can use ShadlowExplorer to dig old versions out of restore points if you need to. It only takes a few more seconds to launch ShadowExplorer. I haven't done a lot with group policy. But I did notice that I set IE to never launch in group policy, but a program launched it during an install. Turns out installer has higher privileges and therefore could countermand my edict in group policy. So how good is that to worry about it? I just disabled IE in other ways.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
03 Mar 2012   #9

Windows 7 Pro X64 SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by TAH View Post
Give some of the free alternatives a look (Linux) before spending more money on Windows 7 versions. Check out all the things that were removed from Windows XP to Windows 7 in the wikipedia posting (I posted the link).
List of features removed in Windows 7 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The main thing that I missed was the "Space Cadet" pinball game.

Speaking of space cadets, trolling a Windows 7 help forum in 2012? Remarkable.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
03 Mar 2012   #10

Windows 7 Home Premium 32-Bit - Build 7600 SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by TAH View Post

Give some of the free alternatives a look (Linux) before spending more money on Windows 7 versions. Check out all the things that were removed from Windows XP to Windows 7 in the wikipedia posting (I posted the link).
List of features removed in Windows 7 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Checkout my wikipedia posting Troll (Internet) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 buying windows 7 i'm concerned about .......




Thread Tools



Similar help and support threads for2: buying windows 7 i'm concerned about .......
Thread Forum
Laptop CPU above 88 C but under 50% load? Concerned? PC Custom Builds and Overclocking
Should we be concerned Chillout Room
Solved Should I be concerned about the 59 deg temperature reading Hardware & Devices
Locking Up When the Internet is Concerned BSOD Help and Support
I'm concerned now. Gaming
For everyone concerned about buying the upgrade disk General Discussion
Maybe, just maybe, Apple is concerned General Discussion

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:18 AM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33