Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Problem with hard drive space

04 Mar 2012   #21
Sean Birt

win7 ultimate x32
 
 

this is what ive got.




Attached Thumbnails
Problem with hard drive space-example-4-2-.png  
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
04 Mar 2012   #22
Sean Birt

win7 ultimate x32
 
 

here is another one, it dont look right to me.


Attached Thumbnails
Problem with hard drive space-example-5.png  
My System SpecsSystem Spec
04 Mar 2012   #23
Sean Birt

win7 ultimate x32
 
 

now i have unallocated space, i can extend E but not C.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

04 Mar 2012   #24
1Bowtie

Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit
 
 

You are now going down a vary dangerous road, and if you can't get back where all this started your in trouble. Quit shrinking and extending now or a clean install of the os will be your only choice.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
04 Mar 2012   #25
Vertex

Windows 7 Ultimate 32 Bit, Windows Developer Preview, Linux Mint 9 Gnome 32 Bit
 
 

You can right click at that unallocated space and New Simple Volume and create a new partition from there but you have the option to customize the size. You shouldnt have shrunk most of drive E:.

You can try deleting drive E: by right clicking it and Delete Volume, see if it becomes an unallocated space, colored black or free space colored apple green. Usually, its the free space that can be used to extend drive C:

Sorry if its causing you a bit of trouble.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
04 Mar 2012   #26
seavixen32

Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64-Bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by 1Bowtie View Post
You are now going down a vary dangerous road, and if you can't get back where all this started your in trouble. Quit shrinking and extending now or a clean install of the os will be your only choice.
I agree entirely.

Disk management is very restrictive in what it can do, and you being asked to carry out tasks that are more suited to Partition Wizard and suchlike.

For that you would need to download the Partition Wizard ISO and burn it to a blank disc then boot into it to carry out your partitioning tasks.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
04 Mar 2012   #27
Sean Birt

win7 ultimate x32
 
 

hummm yes i know. i can extend E back into the space but i can not remove the drive letter. i do have windows7 disc but i have tried reinstalling it but the same happened with the drive space.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
04 Mar 2012   #28
1Bowtie

Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Vertex View Post
You can right click at that unallocated space and New Simple Volume and create a new partition from there but you have the option to customize the size. You shouldnt have shrunk most of drive E:.

You can try deleting drive E: by right clicking it and Delete Volume, see if it becomes an unallocated space, colored black or free space colored apple green. Usually, its the free space that can be used to extend drive C:

Sorry if its causing you a bit of trouble.
If he has all unallocated space you have caused him to lose all his data on that drive.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
04 Mar 2012   #29
Vertex

Windows 7 Ultimate 32 Bit, Windows Developer Preview, Linux Mint 9 Gnome 32 Bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by 1Bowtie View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Vertex View Post
You can right click at that unallocated space and New Simple Volume and create a new partition from there but you have the option to customize the size. You shouldnt have shrunk most of drive E:.

You can try deleting drive E: by right clicking it and Delete Volume, see if it becomes an unallocated space, colored black or free space colored apple green. Usually, its the free space that can be used to extend drive C:

Sorry if its causing you a bit of trouble.
If he has all unallocated space you have caused him to lose all his data on that drive.
His drive E: is currently empty I suppose but maybe its just right to use a third party partition manager but some of those don't come free. Reinstalling, won't change the size of the current drive C: anyways unless he installs on the current unallocated space, then that becomes the new drive C:.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
04 Mar 2012   #30
seavixen32

Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64-Bit
 
 

Partition Wizard does come free and is eminently suitable for partitioning a hard drive.

Partition Wizard : Use the Bootable CD
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Problem with hard drive space




Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Hard drive space decreasing and showing less space available
Hey guys, I'm having a big problem with my hard drive space. First of all it keeps decreasing for no apparent reason when i am connected to the internet even though i'm not downloading anything. And i'm not talking about mb but GB!! My first guess was a vius so i ran my antivirus (avast) and...
General Discussion
Hard Drive Problem - 500 GB Disk - only 371 GB un-allocated space ??
I know that HDD manufacturer's use one unit of measurement while OS's use another unit of measurement for HDD disk capacity. I expect my "500GB" drive to have about 465 GB of actual free space. Yet Windows, DISKPART, and (3) different hard drive testing software programs all indicate that the...
Hardware & Devices
Upgraded laptop hard drive, disk management unallocated space problem
I upgrade my laptop hard drive to 1tb hitachi travelstar and restoring the image with macrium reflect went well and prompted to reboot. After rebooting, it showed the hp logo then a black screen with an underscore on the top left, no hard drive activity. Windows boot manager said "the boot...
General Discussion
Hard drive partition: adding free space back to c: drive
Hi everyone, I installed Ubuntu on my computer a few months ago and created another partition for it on my 1TB hard drive. I didn't really care for Ubuntu so I decided to delete the partition it was on. :geek: That might have been a mistake. :( Well, now there's 87.68GB of free space on...
Performance & Maintenance
running out of hard drive space. 67.5GB unknown CAB file wasted space
My solid state drive is half full of with and unknown CAB file (see attached WinDirStat report. I'm running out of space. I've disabled imaging and everything else that I can find to disable and have all data on my D drive which is setup with 2 drives 1 TB each for a total storage space of 1 TB....
Performance & Maintenance
How much hard drive space for this?
I searched the site for this info but didnt find any. So, if i missed it and its a repeated post...sorry! I want to install windows seven on C and windows XP on D. If i want to have a good performing computer how much space should i give to each one (in GB). its a 140 GB hard disk and the rest...
Performance & Maintenance


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 21:26.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App