Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: "run as administrator" problem, on windows 7

08 Mar 2012   #11
nonameavailable

Windows 7
 
 

I tried under the same logic as you said, unfortunately, it didnt work.
Admin account installed Firefox under its folder Desktop. User account tried to access the folder and be asked to the administrator credetials, which I did. after i put the credentials it did give me any notice. But when i click the folder again, it asked me. So User accound cannot get into the folder to find firefox app.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
09 Mar 2012   #12
oreo27

Windows 7 Ultimate x64 Service Pack 1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by nonameavailable View Post
I tried under the same logic as you said, unfortunately, it didnt work.
Admin account installed Firefox under its folder Desktop. User account tried to access the folder and be asked to the administrator credetials, which I did. after i put the credentials it did give me any notice. But when i click the folder again, it asked me. So User accound cannot get into the folder to find firefox app.
That's because the folder has permissions only for that user. You have to now giver permission to that specific user for that folder.

Check this tutorial out for specific instruction on how to do that. By the way, you shouldn't have done the installation that way. I suggest you simply uninstall it and install it again in the default location.

Permissions - Allow or Deny Users and Groups
My System SpecsSystem Spec
09 Mar 2012   #13
alishathomaz

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 
Firefox problem

Thanks oreo27 for the solution, now anybody who logs in can use firefox.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

09 Mar 2012   #14
oreo27

Windows 7 Ultimate x64 Service Pack 1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by nonameavailable View Post
I tried under the same logic as you said, unfortunately, it didnt work.
Admin account installed Firefox under its folder Desktop. User account tried to access the folder and be asked to the administrator credetials, which I did. after i put the credentials it did give me any notice. But when i click the folder again, it asked me. So User accound cannot get into the folder to find firefox app.
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by alishathomaz View Post
Thanks oreo27 for the solution, now anybody who logs in can use firefox.
Are you guys the same user?

Because if so, please note that this is not allowed as stipulated in rule number 11.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-d...ease-read.html
My System SpecsSystem Spec
12 Mar 2012   #15
alishathomaz

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by oreo27 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by nonameavailable View Post
I tried under the same logic as you said, unfortunately, it didnt work.
Admin account installed Firefox under its folder Desktop. User account tried to access the folder and be asked to the administrator credetials, which I did. after i put the credentials it did give me any notice. But when i click the folder again, it asked me. So User accound cannot get into the folder to find firefox app.
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by alishathomaz View Post
Thanks oreo27 for the solution, now anybody who logs in can use firefox.
Are you guys the same user?

Because if so, please note that this is not allowed as stipulated in rule number 11.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-d...ease-read.html

Mr. oreo27 i don't know who "nonameavailable" is..!!!
On my Guest account, Firefox cannot be used.. I got help from your post # 10 in this thread:


Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by oreo27 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by nonameavailable View Post
Guys,
I am just kidding, not try to bash that jersey guy.

By the way, Oreo, is there anyway to accomplish the following.
1. I have a User account that doesnt have priviledge to install Firefox. but I want to use it.
2. I have an admin account.
3. I use firefox all the time, so, would it possible to use it with any login like UAC allowed?

thanks,
Okay, you really lost me there. But I'm thinking you want to use Firefox on a user account.

It's as simple as installing Firefox, which you've already done, then creating the necessary shortcuts to it and launching it from any other user account.

On the user account where you want to use Firefox, navigate to the installation directory of Firefox, usually in "C:\Program Files (x86)\Mozilla Firefox", if you're using a 64 bit edition of Windows; and right-click on Firefox.exe. Select "Send to>Desktop". This should create a working Firefox shortcut on that user's desktop.

Hope this helps.

P.S. We're pretty serious here so please act like an adult

I just performed this step from your post # 10 in this thread.:
if you're using a 64 bit edition of Windows; and right-click on Firefox.exe. Select "Send to>Desktop". This should create a working Firefox shortcut on that user's desktop
That's why i thanked you.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
12 Mar 2012   #16
oreo27

Windows 7 Ultimate x64 Service Pack 1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by alishathomaz View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by oreo27 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by nonameavailable View Post
I tried under the same logic as you said, unfortunately, it didnt work.
Admin account installed Firefox under its folder Desktop. User account tried to access the folder and be asked to the administrator credetials, which I did. after i put the credentials it did give me any notice. But when i click the folder again, it asked me. So User accound cannot get into the folder to find firefox app.


Are you guys the same user?

Because if so, please note that this is not allowed as stipulated in rule number 11.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-d...ease-read.html

Mr. oreo27 i don't know who "nonameavailable" is..!!!
On my Guest account, Firefox cannot be used.. I got help from your post # 10 in this thread:


Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by oreo27 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by nonameavailable View Post
Guys,
I am just kidding, not try to bash that jersey guy.

By the way, Oreo, is there anyway to accomplish the following.
1. I have a User account that doesnt have priviledge to install Firefox. but I want to use it.
2. I have an admin account.
3. I use firefox all the time, so, would it possible to use it with any login like UAC allowed?

thanks,
Okay, you really lost me there. But I'm thinking you want to use Firefox on a user account.

It's as simple as installing Firefox, which you've already done, then creating the necessary shortcuts to it and launching it from any other user account.

On the user account where you want to use Firefox, navigate to the installation directory of Firefox, usually in "C:\Program Files (x86)\Mozilla Firefox", if you're using a 64 bit edition of Windows; and right-click on Firefox.exe. Select "Send to>Desktop". This should create a working Firefox shortcut on that user's desktop.

Hope this helps.

P.S. We're pretty serious here so please act like an adult

I just performed this step from your post # 10 in this thread.:
if you're using a 64 bit edition of Windows; and right-click on Firefox.exe. Select "Send to>Desktop". This should create a working Firefox shortcut on that user's desktop
That's why i thanked you.
Oh, okay mate Just making sure no rules were broken. Glad to hear it worked out for you.

But as I said earlier, it's easier and better to install in the default program files location
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 "run as administrator" problem, on windows 7




Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Run "cmd.exe" as a given user and "as administrator" in command line
Hello and thank you for reading my post. If I'm logged in Windows as user "u1", I can execute "cmd.exe" "as administrator" by choosing "Start" -> "cmd.exe" and right-click "Run as administrator".I would like to start another "cmd.exe" console as "u2" and "as administrator". (So, "u2" is not...
General Discussion
Only 'Administrator' account will logon, then "Windows Genuine" issues
Diagnostic Report (1.9.0027.0): ----------------------------------------- Windows Validation Data--> Validation Code: 0x8004FE21 Cached Online Validation Code: N/A, hr = 0x800700b7 Windows Product Key: *****-*****-6FK7P-XQXFQ-J4MP4 Windows Product Key Hash: lNwLB5MBClr7RptLlxdkJ2WJB4I=...
Windows Updates & Activation
Need to add "TASKBARS" (MSese for "Launchpads", "Docks" NOT "Toolbars"
My office just upgraded, and I can no longer use Windows XP. On this system, I was able to add a separate taskbar to facilitate quick access to commonly-browsed folder locations on our vast network, and another one expedited the launching of useful programs and lists. Each task on each taskbar...
General Discussion
How to fix "not responding" problem in all programs and "lost updates"
It's been a month since my laptop gone wrong. All programs doesn't run properly, and stop working many times. Media Player, Office, Internet explorer, all stop working frequently, and I have to wait ten second until five minutes to continue my work. Two days ago I noticed that when I downloaded...
Performance & Maintenance
Why has Windows Live Messanger icon got the "administrator" shield?
In the Start menu, the icon for Windows Live Messenger has the "Admistrator" blue/yellow shield overlay. This is a shortcut, and I can find no reason why the overlay should be there. The underlying program is C:\Program Files (x86)\windows Live\Messenger\msnmsgr.exe and that also has the shield...
General Discussion
"dependency chain" "windows 7" internet "windows explorer"
"dependency chain" "windows 7" internet "windows explorer" At the time of this writing, this search in Google will produce one result at best. Am I searching the wrong things? I have tried a couple handfuls of variants, and I am coming up with zilch. Though I am fairly well versed in...
System Security


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 21:20.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App