Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: 2Q's 1:Can I delete useless partition? 2:Best backup software?

29 Mar 2012   #11
Robwan

Windows 7 Professional 64-bit SP1
 
 

OK cool I'll look into image backup, sounds good. Many thanks guys


Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by kado897 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Robwan View Post
Thanks guys, some really helpful tips here i'm gonna check out some of those programs.

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by kado897 View Post
I liked FreeFileSync so much I did a video on how to use it. Backup With FreeFileSync - YouTube
Nice tut, u should do one of how get the invisible taskbar, thats awesome!
Thanks Robwan. Invisible taskbar?
Oh my bad haha, it looked like your task bar was completely invisible, kinda like this Windows 7 Invisible Taskbar by ~4tyn on deviantART


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
29 Mar 2012   #12
SIW2

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Vista x64 / 7 X64
 
 

Did you ever look at disk management before?

If you didn't - you would not have seen the 100mb.

You can't see it in windows explorer.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
29 Mar 2012   #13
kado897

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit Service Pack 1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Robwan View Post
OK cool I'll look into image backup, sounds good. Many thanks guys


Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by kado897 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Robwan View Post
Thanks guys, some really helpful tips here i'm gonna check out some of those programs.



Nice tut, u should do one of how get the invisible taskbar, thats awesome!
Thanks Robwan. Invisible taskbar?
Oh my bad haha, it looked like your task bar was completely invisible, kinda like this Windows 7 Invisible Taskbar by ~4tyn on deviantART
Afraid not. It is white and as transparent as windows will set it.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

29 Mar 2012   #14
Robwan

Windows 7 Professional 64-bit SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by DavidW7ncus View Post
Hope I'm not off topic or missed something, but i think it's worth noting...

I haven't seen any mention of backup imaging the OS and Programs in this thread.
That is different than backing up personal data.

The day a system will not boot, or does not work correctly, having a backup image can be a life saver and save many hours of frustration.
System Restore points may fix an issue, but a backup image is a better option to have available.
A backup image is a complete restorable "copy" of the OS, restore points are not.

An image can restore the OS and programs in < 1 hour without needing to re-install/re-configure/re-activate the OS and programs.
If you re-install Windows and all programs regularly, then you may not need or want backup images.
If being able to recover from an HD fail, Windows fail, etc. is important, then you should consider imaging.

A couple of tutorials about this:
Backup Complete Computer - Create an Image Backup
Imaging with free Macrium
My hdd is 500gb and my backup external is also 500gb. ive got about 150gb free on my main hdd, so i will be making an image backup of 350gb to the external correct?

After Ive copied the image backup to the external hdd can i use the remaining 150gb for anything i like, such as backing up more recent word documents etc, since i don't want to be doing a new image backup everyday lol.

Thanks
My System SpecsSystem Spec
29 Mar 2012   #15
Robwan

Windows 7 Professional 64-bit SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by SIW2 View Post
Did you ever look at disk management before?

If you didn't - you would not have seen the 100mb.

You can't see it in windows explorer.
Yea you've got a point actually, it was so long time ago, but i seem to remember being sure that it was not there before..I'll probably just leave it though and play safe.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
29 Mar 2012   #16
kado897

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit Service Pack 1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Robwan View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by DavidW7ncus View Post
Hope I'm not off topic or missed something, but i think it's worth noting...

I haven't seen any mention of backup imaging the OS and Programs in this thread.
That is different than backing up personal data.

The day a system will not boot, or does not work correctly, having a backup image can be a life saver and save many hours of frustration.
System Restore points may fix an issue, but a backup image is a better option to have available.
A backup image is a complete restorable "copy" of the OS, restore points are not.

An image can restore the OS and programs in < 1 hour without needing to re-install/re-configure/re-activate the OS and programs.
If you re-install Windows and all programs regularly, then you may not need or want backup images.
If being able to recover from an HD fail, Windows fail, etc. is important, then you should consider imaging.

A couple of tutorials about this:
Backup Complete Computer - Create an Image Backup
Imaging with free Macrium
My hdd is 500gb and my backup external is also 500gb. ive got about 150gb free on my main hdd, so i will be making an image backup of 350gb to the external correct?

After Ive copied the image backup to the external hdd can i use the remaining 150gb for anything i like, such as backing up more recent word documents etc, since i don't want to be doing a new image backup everyday lol.

Thanks
Yes you can use the rest of the disk for anything you like. The image file will be smaller if you use a third party backup like Macrium Free and is likely to be quicker as well. Whatever you chose don't forget to create the appropriate rescue disk and test that it will boot and can see your image file.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
29 Mar 2012   #17
Robwan

Windows 7 Professional 64-bit SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by kado897 View Post
Yes you can use the rest of the disk for anything you like. The image file will be smaller if you use a third party backup like Macrium Free and is likely to be quicker as well. Whatever you chose don't forget to create the appropriate rescue disk and test that it will boot and can see your image file.
Awesome! I just watched the tuts on it. I'm gonne give macrium a go then. One last question, sorry, I take it its a good idea to make a backup image regularly, will this just involve deleting the old one every time and simply making a new one?

thanks
My System SpecsSystem Spec
29 Mar 2012   #18
kado897

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit Service Pack 1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Robwan View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by kado897 View Post
Yes you can use the rest of the disk for anything you like. The image file will be smaller if you use a third party backup like Macrium Free and is likely to be quicker as well. Whatever you chose don't forget to create the appropriate rescue disk and test that it will boot and can see your image file.
Awesome! I just watched the tuts on it. I'm gonne give macrium a go then. One last question, sorry, I take it its a good idea to make a backup image regularly, will this just involve deleting the old one every time and simply making a new one?

thanks
Yes you can do that or if you have the room you can keep more than one. I guess that in your case you won't have the room so just delete and rerun the backup. A single backup however is always a risk so if you can get a cheap HDD it would be worth the investment.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
29 Mar 2012   #19
Robwan

Windows 7 Professional 64-bit SP1
 
 

Ok got it,Thanks, i really appreciate all your help with this
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 2Q's 1:Can I delete useless partition? 2:Best backup software?




Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Samsung Recovery Solution: backup location, delete old backup
~~~~~~~~~~ Background ~~~~~~~~~~ I recently started helping my father in law get his Samsung NP-Q330-JA03HK laptop back to working order. He had not used it in a couple of years, and when I tried tuning it, I found that it was extremely slow. A Malwarebytes scan, Windows updates, and some...
Backup and Restore
Backup software that splits large files for incremental backup
G'day everyone Does anyone know of a simple backup program that is capable of backing up large files incrementally by splitting the file and backing up only changed parts of the file? The files I'm talking about are files that get altered by appending stuff at the end of the file, e.g. log...
Software
100Mb Reserved partition reduced in size by backup software
Hi, I restored Windows 7 Home Premium (64 bit version) on my PC and I used Easeus Todo Backup v4.0.0.2. to do this. I restored the hidden reserved partition and also the Windows partition (my C: drive). However, the restoration altered the size of both of these partitions. It has reduced the...
General Discussion
New laptop with a useless software.
Just brought new Lenovo G555, great laptop just loaded with a lot of useless software, so here is a question- without which softwares and programms Windows 7 cannot work? So I can delete all unwanted softwares/programms. Thank you in advance!
Software
Most AV software is USELESS against SCRAPER Sites
Hi all We seem to get more and more bogged down with finding the best AV software for preventing Viruses / worms / trojans etc etc. These are largely old hat now -- what most of this software DOESN'T protect you against (and its difficult to see how to devise good protection for this type...
System Security


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:43.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App