Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Applications freezing all over the place

24 Aug 2009   #1

Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
 
 
Applications freezing all over the place

Back when I had version 7229, something really frustrating would often come up. A random application I was using would stop responding. I didn't think much of it because I thought, well it's pre-rtm so there's bound to be some problems, right?
Well, after adding a second monitor, the freezes began to increase in number. Sometimes I would have 3 things freeze at once, including the start menu, so i had to force reboot and start all over again.
Then the RTM came out. I was excited. I went and got a copy, and installed it to see if it would fix my problems. It was fine, for 3 days, and then it started happening again, with increased ferocity.... For example, this morning, I had several apps open (Safari, Thunderbird, iTunes, Notepad, Adobe Reader, etc.) and they all "stopped responding" one after another, sometimes even before I clicked on their icon in the taskbar. Then the taskbar froze. Then the desktop even froze. the only thing I could do was move the mouse, and whenever I clicked on something the whole thing would freeze up
so... any ideas? could this be a hardware or software issue?

My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

24 Aug 2009   #2

 
 

The RTM you installed, fresh install or upgrade?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
24 Aug 2009   #3

Windows 7 Ultimate x64, Mint 9
 
 

Since the monitor problem seemed to aggravate it, try a different video driver.

~Lordbob
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


25 Aug 2009   #4

Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
 
 

The install was an upgrade, but i'm not sure that's the problem since it allowed me to upgrade, and this problem was happening in pre-rtm builds as well.

I removed my extra monitor and it's still freezing. I am upgrading to the latest version of CCC so i'll post back if anything changes

thanks for your help
My System SpecsSystem Spec
25 Aug 2009   #5

 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by moshee View Post
Back when I had version 7229, something really frustrating would often come up. A random application I was using would stop responding. I didn't think much of it because I thought, well it's pre-rtm so there's bound to be some problems, right?
Well, after adding a second monitor, the freezes began to increase in number. Sometimes I would have 3 things freeze at once, including the start menu, so i had to force reboot and start all over again.
Then the RTM came out. I was excited. I went and got a copy, and installed it to see if it would fix my problems. It was fine, for 3 days, and then it started happening again, with increased ferocity.... For example, this morning, I had several apps open (Safari, Thunderbird, iTunes, Notepad, Adobe Reader, etc.) and they all "stopped responding" one after another, sometimes even before I clicked on their icon in the taskbar. Then the taskbar froze. Then the desktop even froze. the only thing I could do was move the mouse, and whenever I clicked on something the whole thing would freeze up
so... any ideas? could this be a hardware or software issue?
Actually the items FROZE due to lack of memory. I have found and tested on many different system. wait for a short bit - as soon as memory is available the (Not responding) will go away, and all items will restart.
The problem is you have either too many programs running at one time, or you have some program that is GROSSLY a MEMORY HOG, so while it is running the other program stop to allow the other MEMORY HOG Program to continue.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
26 Aug 2009   #6

Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
 
 

Quote:
MEMORY HOG
Actually, I thought about this as well. I have Everest (which never froze somehow) running most of the time and usually it reports around 40-45% of memory usage, and so does Task Manager (which freezes a lot). Usually Safari takes up the biggest piece, about 300-350mb, which is not much compared to my 4gb total

Thanks for the suggestion but it's not quite what I was looking for. sorry i forgot to put it in my original post

Quote:
try a different video driver.
After removing the additional monitor the problems persisted. I downloaded and installed the latest ATI display drivers (9.8) and for the time being it seems to have stopped... I guess we'll see what happens

thanks everyone
My System SpecsSystem Spec
26 Aug 2009   #7

Win7 Build 7600 x86
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by moshee View Post
After removing the additional monitor the problems persisted. I downloaded and installed the latest ATI display drivers (9.8) and for the time being it seems to have stopped... I guess we'll see what happens

thanks everyone
If it comes back, use everest to check on the temperatures of both CPU and GPU.

greetz
My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 Aug 2009   #8

Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
 
 

update: nothing fixed.
Usually my CPU stays around 30-45C and gpu stays around 40 when idling. nothing too serious, so I don't think it's that. I just had Thunderbird and Safari crash on me several times while trying to navigate to this page....
My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 Aug 2009   #9

Win 8 Release candidate 8400
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by moshee View Post
update: nothing fixed.
Usually my CPU stays around 30-45C and gpu stays around 40 when idling. nothing too serious, so I don't think it's that. I just had Thunderbird and Safari crash on me several times while trying to navigate to this page....
Have you looked in event viewer (type event viewer in search) to see what errors are listed in the app tab?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 Aug 2009   #10

 

Quote:
System Manufacturer/Model Number I built it.
OS Windows 7 build 7229


I for one totally recommend you update the Version being used.

also there is a nice chang you might try.
start -> cmd (run as admin)

netsh int tcp set global autotuninglevel=normal

enter and exit.
that will fix a lot of problems.
It really is not fair to use some old outdated BETA when your wanting to see if it works correctly. also the version you are using could be corrupt/infested.
lets not ask why.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Applications freezing all over the place




Thread Tools




Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:25 PM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33