Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Windows cant see all fonts

01 Apr 2012   #1

Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit
 
 
Windows cant see all fonts

I have something like 957 fonts in my /windows/fonts folder but the control panel is only "seeing" about 457 of them. And I downloaded a new one that I wanted to install -
annieswindysemi-expanded.ttf but it won't see that one either.

Nothing I've tried helps.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

01 Apr 2012   #2

Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64-Bit
 
 

Welcome to Windows Seven Forums.

You say that nothing you've tried helps.

It would help us if you tell us what you HAVE tried, then we can search for other options rather than waste time going over ground you've already covered.

In the meantime, have you checked your Font settings as per the screenshot below?

Windows cant see all fonts-fonts.png


My System SpecsSystem Spec
01 Apr 2012   #3

Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit
 
 

Yes I've tried those. Well basically there doesn't seem to be much I can do. With Win 7 it's all set up so you open the font directory and "see" everything, then install it or uninstall. But if it doesn't show up there, then what?

The problem is that nothing new is showing up, and large numbers of what's in the /windows/fonts directory isn't showing up in that install window either.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


01 Apr 2012   #4

Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64-Bit
 
 

You might want to consider a repair install, as explained in this tutorial.

Repair Install

It shouldn't affect your programs or personal data, but I would advise creating a restore point before you start and backup anything that's important to you.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
01 Apr 2012   #5

Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit
 
 

From what they say about that, I may not be able to. I DO use Carbonite, but this is an Asus refurbed Essentia and I have a recovery disk but am not sure if it can do this.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
02 Apr 2012   #6

Win 7 Ult + Starter, XP Pro +Home, 2kAS, Linux Mint 8, SuperOS
 
 

It may be Windows itself - Fonts is a special folder that usually, when you try to open it in Windows 7 Explorer, opens up the Fonts in a control panel window. Control panel groups the fonts together and hides some of them. Not all of the glyphs in the font are shown by control panel, many are hidden. You can see (and use) all opentype and truetype fonts using Charmap.

3rd party file managers like 7-Zip will see all the font files in the folder.

To install a font just right click it, and select the install option in the drop-down menu. The font will be registered and loaded in the fonts folder. You can also install a font from the font folder file menu - install new font and it will ask for the location, unless it can find an unregistered font.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
02 Apr 2012   #7

Windows 7 Pro
 
 

I am not sure this applies to Win 7, but with earlier versions of Windows did NOT recommend having over 500 fonts installed. I know when I was running Win 98 (way back when), I ran into issues by installing more than 500 fonts.

Keeping under 500 fonts can be difficult since every program you install seems to install a font of it's own.

I know I only install about 20 personal fonts that I particularily like.

Just something to keep in mind.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
02 Apr 2012   #8

Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by fafhrd View Post
It may be Windows itself - Fonts is a special folder that usually, when you try to open it in Windows 7 Explorer, opens up the Fonts in a control panel window. Control panel groups the fonts together and hides some of them. Not all of the glyphs in the font are shown by control panel, many are hidden. You can see (and use) all opentype and truetype fonts using Charmap.

3rd party file managers like 7-Zip will see all the font files in the folder.
Exactly. I use Altap Salamander, which sees all of them, but Win 7 won't bring all of them up in the CP window, not even that new one I downloaded. Salamander is an updated clone of the old Norton Commander, if any of you remember that. I used to love Norton Commander and then Symantec dropped it. Well this little company in Czech Republic did an even better version of it. For those not familiar, it's a two panel file manager where you can copy back and forth, even ftp with it nowdays. One of the few pieces of shareware I've felt was worth registering and paying for, and have. I've been into PC's since the old MSDOS days. Even have an old VIC-20 somewhere around here, but could never get into that one.

Quote:
To install a font just right click it, and select the install option in the drop-down menu.
Well that's what's weird, I cant right click it or drag and drop anything in that directory, with Salamander.


Quote:
The font will be registered and loaded in the fonts folder. You can also install a font from the font folder file menu - install new font and it will ask for the location, unless it can find an unregistered font.
I need to try this with Windows Explorer then, instead of Salamander...

Nope, only 457 fonts show up in there too, and not the one I just downloaded either. Gosh this is weird.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
02 Apr 2012   #9

Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by huffman View Post
I am not sure this applies to Win 7, but with earlier versions of Windows did NOT recommend having over 500 fonts installed. I know when I was running Win 98 (way back when), I ran into issues by installing more than 500 fonts.

Keeping under 500 fonts can be difficult since every program you install seems to install a font of it's own.

I know I only install about 20 personal fonts that I particularily like.

Just something to keep in mind.
Wonder if they still have that, being 457 out of about 987 are showing up in the system, except when I look with Salamander.

Microsoft is notorious for not listening to what customers want. I haven't even been able to get their attention to try to get them to save page margin settings in Streets & Trips, so I've quit buying new versions of the program. Streets & Trips resets page margins to .5" every time you close it, and they need to make the print function WYSIWYG - What You See Is What You Get too, so I wouldn't have to print a map 3 times to get it to fill a page.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Windows cant see all fonts




Thread Tools



Similar help and support threads for2: Windows cant see all fonts
Thread Forum
Changing Fonts in Windows 7. Customization
ControlPanel\Fonts and notepad\fonts hanging BSOD Help and Support
Solved Microsoft Updates Core System Fonts To Fix Blurred Fonts Issues Browsers & Mail
Cannot View Any Fonts Via Windows! General Discussion
Windows Fonts General Discussion
Windows 7 + Fonts + CS3 Software
Extracting fonts to c:/windows/fonts - its not there? General Discussion

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:49 AM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33