Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Logging into windows 7 ultimate x64 now takes about 20 minutes.


04 Apr 2012   #1

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 
Logging into windows 7 ultimate x64 now takes about 20 minutes.

My acer aspire 7720g used to work fine, logging in in 30 seconds maybe, but suddenly it takes 20 minutes. The hard drive light stops being lit after 20 seconds or so and it only says welcome despite have verbose messages enabled. Starting windows takes normal time, it's windows 7 ultimate, regularly defragged, ccleaner every month and the install isn't older than 6 months. It is however, pretty full, about 1GB free on a 220GB drive. Whe it logs in, it's full speed and absolutely fine. I'm pretty good with computers and I've got no idea. No recently installed software, changed hardware or new services, windows updates or anything.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

04 Apr 2012   #2

Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
 
 

How many GIB RAM have you PC?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
04 Apr 2012   #3

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

The specs are:

Intel core 2 duo t9300, 2.50ghz, 6mb l2 cache.
4gb ram, 800mhz
nVidia GeForce 9650m gt
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


04 Apr 2012   #4

Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
 
 

hmm, strange windows 7 takes normal 2 GIB RAM uncompressed.
  • I would try to make's some memory free on the HDD.
  • Also check msconfig (run command) for unwanted applications in boot.
  • And a complete virus scan.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
04 Apr 2012   #5

Windows 7 Professional x64 Service Pack 1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by MonkeyTurtle View Post
My acer aspire 7720g used to work fine, logging in in 30 seconds maybe, but suddenly it takes 20 minutes. The hard drive light stops being lit after 20 seconds or so and it only says welcome despite have verbose messages enabled. Starting windows takes normal time, it's windows 7 ultimate, regularly defragged, ccleaner every month and the install isn't older than 6 months. It is however, pretty full, about 1GB free on a 220GB drive. Whe it logs in, it's full speed and absolutely fine. I'm pretty good with computers and I've got no idea. No recently installed software, changed hardware or new services, windows updates or anything.
Have you been using ccleaner's registry cleaner. You always need to read over what ccleaner is going to fix before you run the registry cleaner. Honestly, I don't think you should use registry cleaners at all. They almost always end up messing up someone's computer. Try to system restore to when your computer was working and don't use registry cleaners.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
04 Apr 2012   #6

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

I'll check for those but also, when it was on a minute ago, it the graphics started messing up, it wouldn't show aero and I couldn't access the nVidia control panel's settings, they all came up blanks. I'm gonna uninstall the driver then see if it works.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
04 Apr 2012   #7

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

No, I don't use the registry cleaner, I don't' trust them after an incident on an old laptop.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
04 Apr 2012   #8

Windows 7 Professional x64 Service Pack 1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by MonkeyTurtle View Post
No, I don't use the registry cleaner, I don't' trust them after an incident on an old laptop.
Ok. Good. Try freeing up some space with disk cleanup, and uninstall old programs that you don't use to free up some space on your hard drive.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
04 Apr 2012   #9

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

I've got it free to 3.25GB, and it still hangs, but when it loaded up last time, it came up in aero, even though the control panel was still broken.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
04 Apr 2012   #10

Windows 7 Professional x64 Service Pack 1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by MonkeyTurtle View Post
I've got it free to 3.25GB, and it still hangs, but when it loaded up last time, it came up in aero, even though the control panel was still broken.
Download and install Disk Space Fan: Disk Space Fan - Download.com
Post a screenshot of the fan when it loads.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Logging into windows 7 ultimate x64 now takes about 20 minutes.




Thread Tools



Similar help and support threads for2: Logging into windows 7 ultimate x64 now takes about 20 minutes.
Thread Forum
Logging in takes FOREVER General Discussion
"Downloads" folder takes minutes to load in Windows Explorer General Discussion
BSOD 2-3 minutes after logging into Win 7 BSOD Help and Support
Solved BSOD Occurs 5 Minutes After Logging In BSOD Help and Support
BSOD within minutes of logging in BSOD Help and Support
Solved Windows 7 laptop takes 20-25 minutes to shut down, even from Safe Mode Performance & Maintenance
Windows 7 Domain Logon takes 6 minutes Network & Sharing

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:26 AM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33