Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Not able to change desktop background


05 Apr 2012   #1

win 7 64
 
 
Not able to change desktop background

I have a user with a Windows 7 64 bit machine on our domain. A few days ago he recieved a nasty malware virus and we removed it with our virus tools. However, his desktop is not the way it use to be before the malware. The obvious problem being his desktop background is black and it does not change. When I try to change it in control panel to Architecture or Landscapes, nothing happens, just the color of the taskbar changes. Also, Ive noticed that his "Accessories" folder is missing.

I tried adjusting settings in the Ease of Access section, but still does not work.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

05 Apr 2012   #2

Windows 7 Home Pre
 
 

Open CMD with Admin rights and do a SFC can.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
05 Apr 2012   #3

Windows 7 Professional SP1 64-bit
 
 

Welcome to Seven Forums.

I'd try Unhide first since you said it happened from a "nasty malware virus".
Quote:
Unhide.exe is a program that will revert many of the changes on your computer caused by the FakeHDD family of rogue anti-spyware programs. This family of rogues pretends to be a system optimization program that will solve errors with your computerís hard disks, memory, and performance. It will also display fake alerts stating that your computer has numerous computer issues and prompt you to purchase the program in order to resolve these issues.

Unhide.exe - A introduction as to what this program does
Other fixes here:
Accessories Folder Missing from Start Menu - Microsoft Answers
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


05 Apr 2012   #4

Winbdows 7 ultimate x64 | Ubuntu 12.04 x64 LTS
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by WonderBot View Post
I have a user with a Windows 7 64 bit machine on our domain. A few days ago he recieved a nasty malware virus and we removed it with our virus tools. However, his desktop is not the way it use to be before the malware. The obvious problem being his desktop background is black and it does not change. When I try to change it in control panel to Architecture or Landscapes, nothing happens, just the color of the taskbar changes. Also, Ive noticed that his "Accessories" folder is missing.

I tried adjusting settings in the Ease of Access section, but still does not work.
These kind of problems are generally caused by some 'bad' registry keys and/or group policy settings often used by these nasties.. Its possible that there could be some remnant left causing the problem.
I'd like you to run a full scan with Malwarebytes and post the results here as its quite good at detecting and removing these.
Malwarebytes : Free anti-malware, anti-virus and spyware removal download
My System SpecsSystem Spec
05 Apr 2012   #5

win 7 64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by EzioAuditore View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by WonderBot View Post
I have a user with a Windows 7 64 bit machine on our domain. A few days ago he recieved a nasty malware virus and we removed it with our virus tools. However, his desktop is not the way it use to be before the malware. The obvious problem being his desktop background is black and it does not change. When I try to change it in control panel to Architecture or Landscapes, nothing happens, just the color of the taskbar changes. Also, Ive noticed that his "Accessories" folder is missing.

I tried adjusting settings in the Ease of Access section, but still does not work.
These kind of problems are generally caused by some 'bad' registry keys and/or group policy settings often used by these nasties.. Its possible that there could be some remnant left causing the problem.
I'd like you to run a full scan with Malwarebytes and post the results here as its quite good at detecting and removing these.
Malwarebytes : Free anti-malware, anti-virus and spyware removal download
Already tried Malwarebytes, and it detected nothing. Then ran a scan with Trend Micro and it found a few issues.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
05 Apr 2012   #6

win 7 64
 
 

Fixed it!!!

I went to C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft and then right-click on the Windows folder, then click Properties. Uncheck the Hidden box and then click Apply and then close.

This brought the accessories folder back, and the desktop backgrounds now show. I'm still not sure how the hell that happened, dam malwares!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
05 Apr 2012   #7

win 7 64
 
 

the SFC scan found nothing, but thank you for that tip.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
05 Apr 2012   #8

Windows 7 Professional x64 Service Pack 1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by WonderBot View Post
the SFC scan found nothing, but thank you for that tip.
What antivirus are you using. You may want to switch if it let that malware throught and didn't do anything. Or, I recommend you keep malwarebytes on your systems and run a scan with it about once a month, more often if you would like.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Not able to change desktop background




Thread Tools



Similar help and support threads for2: Not able to change desktop background
Thread Forum
Desktop Background - Change Tutorials
Can't change my desktop background Customization
Solved I can't change my desktop background Customization
Solved Can't change Desktop Background Network & Sharing
Can't change my desktop background Themes and Styles
Does not let me change my desktop background Customization
Cannot change desktop background Themes and Styles

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:14 AM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33