Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Using regedit

06 Apr 2012   #1
ICIT2LOL

Desk1 7 Home Prem / Desk2 10 Pro / Main lap Asus ROG 10 Pro 2 laptop Toshiba 7 Pro Asus P2520 7 & 10
 
 
Using regedit

A quick and hopefully simple query

I was cleaning an old machine the other day and was using Revo free but then found that programs were still listed in Programs, and in the "Computer" program lists.

Now I opened regedit out of curiosity and found that some of the "deleted" apps were still listed in the reg. An old installation entry of an Epson printer was one that comes to mind.

Now just for an example in the pic I have picked out the Canon entries and what I want to know is if I delete the total Canon entry will it take out all the sub entries and also will it affect the system or OS in any way.

I only want to know if I can do this for named apps that I want removed via this method and have no intention of going anywhere near the system, OS or entries I have no idea about when doing this.




Attached Thumbnails
-reg5.png  
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
06 Apr 2012   #2
rraod

MS Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit SP1
 
 

You can delete the top level entry in registry for the example for "Canon" and all the sub level entries below "Canon" shall be deleted. But you may have to delete all the Canon entries after searching with F3 key in regedit. This should take out all the printer references from registry and it is not going to affect the OS.

But take care not to delete other keys except the ones you wish to delete. It is always better to take a backup of registry before you venture out, with a program like ERUNT. This way you can always restore back the original registry in case of problems. Or before deleting any keys, export them to a .reg file.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
06 Apr 2012   #3
ICIT2LOL

Desk1 7 Home Prem / Desk2 10 Pro / Main lap Asus ROG 10 Pro 2 laptop Toshiba 7 Pro Asus P2520 7 & 10
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by rraod View Post
You can delete the top level entry in registry for the example for "Canon" and all the sub level entries below "Canon" shall be deleted. But you may have to delete all the Canon entries after searching with F3 key in regedit. This should take out all the printer references from registry and it is not going to affect the OS.

But take care not to delete other keys except the ones you wish to delete. It is always better to take a backup of registry before you venture out, with a program like ERUNT. This way you can always restore back the original registry in case of problems. Or before deleting any keys, export them to a .reg file.
Thanks rraod I thought that would be the case I just wanted to make sure with someone that I am going to do the right thing.

Now it is going to be easier with those stubborn ones like some Ashampoo stuff I had years ago in an old Dell but that was before I was any where like a tiny bit savvy

Yeah mate I have backed up via export all the regs and funnily enough my best pal told me about the F3 this am and I will get that Erunt on board too.

So very much appreciated
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

06 Apr 2012   #4
wanchoo

Windows 7 Pro with SP1 32bit
 
 

Most programs after uninstallation, even with the best Uninstallers, leave behind orphans in the Registry and even elsewhere. This is quite natural. You can safely but carefully delete these orphan entries in the Registry and elsewhere.


Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by ICit2lol View Post
A quick and hopefully simple query

I was cleaning an old machine the other day and was using Revo free but then found that programs were still listed in Programs, and in the "Computer" program lists.

Now I opened regedit out of curiosity and found that some of the "deleted" apps were still listed in the reg. An old installation entry of an Epson printer was one that comes to mind.

Now just for an example in the pic I have picked out the Canon entries and what I want to know is if I delete the total Canon entry will it take out all the sub entries and also will it affect the system or OS in any way.

I only want to know if I can do this for named apps that I want removed via this method and have no intention of going anywhere near the system, OS or entries I have no idea about when doing this.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
07 Apr 2012   #5
ICIT2LOL

Desk1 7 Home Prem / Desk2 10 Pro / Main lap Asus ROG 10 Pro 2 laptop Toshiba 7 Pro Asus P2520 7 & 10
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by wanchoo View Post
Most programs after uninstallation, even with the best Uninstallers, leave behind orphans in the Registry and even elsewhere. This is quite natural. You can safely but carefully delete these orphan entries in the Registry and elsewhere.


Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by ICit2lol View Post
A quick and hopefully simple query

I was cleaning an old machine the other day and was using Revo free but then found that programs were still listed in Programs, and in the "Computer" program lists.

Now I opened regedit out of curiosity and found that some of the "deleted" apps were still listed in the reg. An old installation entry of an Epson printer was one that comes to mind.

Now just for an example in the pic I have picked out the Canon entries and what I want to know is if I delete the total Canon entry will it take out all the sub entries and also will it affect the system or OS in any way.

I only want to know if I can do this for named apps that I want removed via this method and have no intention of going anywhere near the system, OS or entries I have no idea about when doing this.
Thanks wanchoo this will make life so much easier.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Using regedit




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
How to get the Regedit?
Hi All, When I am trying to go to Regedit from the start icon, I get the regedit and it disappear after a second. How can I go there? Thanks
Installation & Setup
Regedit help
I am trying to delete a registry sub-key and its not complying. I have full control, I am the owner and I am running regedit as an administrator on an admin profile. However, when ever I try to delete it I get an error. "Could not delete key <key name>: an error occurred while deleting" Any...
General Discussion
can't get into regedit!!!
i can't get into my registry. I have tried a few google options but they don't explain enough. One was "C:\WINDOWS\system32" and then to look for command.com which isn't there, Help please
Software
Regedit disabled
So heres my problem regedit has been disabled by administrator in windows 7 SO i know this is from a virus because my task manager is down also, I am running MSE but i guess it didnt catch it, any ideas how to fix this And yes i have tried the idea below with no luck, 1. Press...
System Security
Can not open regedit
windows 7 can open regedit with command prompt but not from doing a search and then clicking on regedit.exe . also in my taskbar the network internet access icon has a red x but i do not have a proble accessing the internet. thanks
General Discussion
Help with regedit
Hi there, I am just experimenting and trying to create a batch file that runs on start-up; just a message that pops up with "hi" sort of thing. The problem I am having is trying to get it to run on start up. I can do it with one computer running Win7 Pro but not with my Win7 Home that...
General Discussion


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 15:35.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App