Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: hard disk usage by folder

09 Apr 2012   #1
kf10

Win 7 home premium 32 bit
 
 
hard disk usage by folder

i want a utility which shows how much hard disk is being used by folders in windows explorer like it shows for files


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
09 Apr 2012   #2
cyclic

Windows 7 home premium x64
 
 

Hi,
Here's a thread all about it from a couple of years ago, as far as I can tell nothing has changed.

Folders size
My System SpecsSystem Spec
09 Apr 2012   #3
gladson1976

Windows 7 Ultimate x64 (XP, 98SE, 95, 3.11, DOS 7.10 on VM) + Ubuntu 10.04 LTS Lucid Lynx
 
 

There is Folder Size for Windows Explorer for XP but it is not supported in Vista or 7.

I'm not sure if there are any utilities for showing the folder size in Windows Explorer, but there are some standalone utilities, you can try WinDirStat - Windows Directory Statistics or TreeSize Free - Quickly Scan Directory Sizes and Find Space Hogs to find out which folder is using how much space.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

09 Apr 2012   #4
Sir George

Windows 7 Professional x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by gladson1976 View Post
There is Folder Size for Windows Explorer for XP but it is not supported in Vista or 7.

I'm not sure if there are any utilities for showing the folder size in Windows Explorer, but there are some standalone utilities, you can try WinDirStat - Windows Directory Statistics or TreeSize Free - Quickly Scan Directory Sizes and Find Space Hogs to find out which folder is using how much space.
Folder Size is supported in Windows 7.

Name:  About Folder Size.gif
Views: 18
Size:  15.2 KB


My System SpecsSystem Spec
09 Apr 2012   #5
gladson1976

Windows 7 Ultimate x64 (XP, 98SE, 95, 3.11, DOS 7.10 on VM) + Ubuntu 10.04 LTS Lucid Lynx
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Sir George View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by gladson1976 View Post
There is Folder Size for Windows Explorer for XP but it is not supported in Vista or 7.

I'm not sure if there are any utilities for showing the folder size in Windows Explorer, but there are some standalone utilities, you can try WinDirStat - Windows Directory Statistics or TreeSize Free - Quickly Scan Directory Sizes and Find Space Hogs to find out which folder is using how much space.
Folder Size is supported in Windows 7.

Attachment 206431
Hi Sir George,

The Folder Size utility that you have shown is a stand alone utility like WinDirStat and TreeSize Free. The Folder Size utility in my first link (not for Windows 7) is for Windows Explorer (it will add a column in Windows Explorer for the folder size). They are two different utilities
My System SpecsSystem Spec
09 Apr 2012   #6
windude99

Windows 7 Professional x64 Service Pack 1
 
 

I like Disk Space Fan: Disk Space Fan - Download.com
My System SpecsSystem Spec
09 Apr 2012   #7
jimbo45

Linux CENTOS 7 / various Windows OS'es and servers
 
 

Hi there
Try Treesize.exe (Free version)

JAM Software - Windows Freeware

cheers
jimbo
My System SpecsSystem Spec
09 Apr 2012   #8
Sir George

Windows 7 Professional x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by gladson1976 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Sir George View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by gladson1976 View Post
There is Folder Size for Windows Explorer for XP but it is not supported in Vista or 7.

I'm not sure if there are any utilities for showing the folder size in Windows Explorer, but there are some standalone utilities, you can try WinDirStat - Windows Directory Statistics or TreeSize Free - Quickly Scan Directory Sizes and Find Space Hogs to find out which folder is using how much space.
Folder Size is supported in Windows 7.

Attachment 206431
Hi Sir George,

The Folder Size utility that you have shown is a stand alone utility like WinDirStat and TreeSize Free. The Folder Size utility in my first link (not for Windows 7) is for Windows Explorer (it will add a column in Windows Explorer for the folder size). They are two different utilities
I hate it when I have senior moments...I knew that. The standalone version is a good choice from my experience, but I miss the integration factor.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
09 Apr 2012   #9
jimbo45

Linux CENTOS 7 / various Windows OS'es and servers
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Sir George View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by gladson1976 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Sir George View Post

Folder Size is supported in Windows 7.

Attachment 206431
Hi Sir George,

The Folder Size utility that you have shown is a stand alone utility like WinDirStat and TreeSize Free. The Folder Size utility in my first link (not for Windows 7) is for Windows Explorer (it will add a column in Windows Explorer for the folder size). They are two different utilities
I hate it when I have senior moments...I knew that. The standalone version is a good choice from my experience, but I miss the integration factor.

Hi there
when you install the treesize utilty it prompts you if it should be added to the context menu on explorer --so you can just RIGHT MOUSE click on the folder name in explorer.

Cheers
jimbo
My System SpecsSystem Spec
09 Apr 2012   #10
michaelst

windows 7 32
 
 

I've been using DISKdata for years. It's incredibly useful and perfectly visualized for my needs. Even tho it hasnt been updated since 2006, it still does exactly what I need it to do.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 hard disk usage by folder




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Frequent unresponsiveness, 100% hardware disk usage, 0% software usage
Every 10-40 minutes, the application I'm currently working in becomes unresponsive, and after a minute or two, the window turns white, notifying me that it's not responding. This unresponsiveness quickly spreads to other open processes, rendering them frozen as well. I can still use the mouse, and...
Performance & Maintenance
Confused about installing Windows on my hard disk,hard disk problem
Hi guys, I will try to explain this as simple as i can.So let's start I have laptop ASUS N75SF and it is a year old,so i have decided to format.I have two separate hard disks that are the same brand,SeaGate 9500423 AS, each 500 gb capacity. Before i decided to format , one of my hard...
Installation & Setup
Random folder found on external hard disk?
So recently I discovered a file folder I didn't create on my external hard drive. in fact this the second time i found a file folder i did not create, i originally deleted the first since i didnt know what it was. the folder name is like: oLtawA8RI6p8O it has that same number of...
General Discussion
free disk space on system folder hard drive?
Hi I was wondering after all the normal cleaning and maintenance how do I fix my problem when I get an error on my photo program that says not enough disk space on hard drive containing your system folder, need to free up more space. I have a new computor that has 64bit dual core processor...
Performance & Maintenance
[Help] External Hard Disk error: Folder Won't Load !!
Hey all, Since a few weeks I am facing this error. Whenever I try to browse Movies folder from my External Hard Disk the folder won't load !! I tried creating another movie folder in a different partition but the same problem persists there ! It only happens with the folder which contain...
BSOD Help and Support
How do I backup a hard disk that's mounted to a folder?
I have mounted (mapped) a hard disk to an empty folder so it doesn't show up as a drive letter. This mounted folder is inside a folder that is being backed up by Windows 7 integrated Backup & Restore. But Backup & Restore simply ignores the mounted folder, even though it looks and behaves like a...
Backup and Restore


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 21:01.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App