Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Changing the installing username?


25 Aug 2009   #1

Windows 7 Ultimate and Ubuntu 9.04
 
 
Changing the installing username?

OK, so I just installed Windows 7 Professional (from MSDNAA) earlier today.

I've gotten a lot of it customized, like adding the Quick Launch etc. But one thing I'm not sure about.

I specifically put in Danny as my account name, and that's what it shows in the Start menu. But yet, when I install any program that asks for the user name and business name, it says "Microsoft" in both of those fields.

Can that be changed so it says Danny and something like Home?

My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

26 Aug 2009   #2

XP, Seven, 2008R2
 
 

yes you can change it with a registry hack

then you go Help > About Windows and there it is


Attached Files
File Type: zip Owner-Organization.zip (283 Bytes, 45 views)
My System SpecsSystem Spec
26 Aug 2009   #3

Windows 7 Ultimate and Ubuntu 9.04
 
 

Oh cool, thanks!

Did you have to set that yourself though? It still doesn't let me edit it, so I'm just curious.

And any idea why the defaults are Microsoft in those fields? The setup in Vista was basically the same as Windows 7, but that did have my name there instead of Microsoft...
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


26 Aug 2009   #4

Win7 Build 7600 x86
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by drfsupercenter View Post
Oh cool, thanks!

Did you have to set that yourself though? It still doesn't let me edit it, so I'm just curious.

And any idea why the defaults are Microsoft in those fields? The setup in Vista was basically the same as Windows 7, but that did have my name there instead of Microsoft...
Probably have to run it as administrator. (rightclick, run as...)

greetz
My System SpecsSystem Spec
26 Aug 2009   #5

Windows 7 Ultimate and Ubuntu 9.04
 
 

Wait, what?

Run what as an administrator? All I did was do Help - About Windows (took me a while to figure out how to make the menu bar show up...), but those fields are still static. Sure, I can change them if I wanted to in each installer, I was just wondering why they both show as Microsoft when you do a fresh install.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
26 Aug 2009   #6

Win7 Build 7600 x86
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by drfsupercenter View Post
Wait, what?

Run what as an administrator? All I did was do Help - About Windows (took me a while to figure out how to make the menu bar show up...), but those fields are still static. Sure, I can change them if I wanted to in each installer, I was just wondering why they both show as Microsoft when you do a fresh install.
Hi,

sup3rsprt has attached a zip file with his post.

You should download it, unzip it and run it.

After that you can check the names again.

good luck
My System SpecsSystem Spec
26 Aug 2009   #7

Windows 7 Ultimate and Ubuntu 9.04
 
 

I did.

I was just curious if that registry key was made specifically with my name, or if it auto-detects it from my username. Because previous versions of Windows auto-detected it from the user's profile name.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
26 Aug 2009   #8

Win7 Build 7600 x86
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by drfsupercenter View Post
I did.

I was just curious if that registry key was made specifically with my name, or if it auto-detects it from my username. Because previous versions of Windows auto-detected it from the user's profile name.
Sorry, don't know the particulars of that reg key.

sup3rsprt?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
26 Aug 2009   #9

windows 7
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by drfsupercenter View Post
I did.

I was just curious if that registry key was made specifically with my name, or if it auto-detects it from my username. Because previous versions of Windows auto-detected it from the user's profile name.
Yes that registry key was made with your name. It will not auto detect anything, it will just add the information with it.

Name:  Capture.PNG
Views: 28
Size:  41.5 KB

The above is the content of that reg file.

Was your problem solved?


My System SpecsSystem Spec
26 Aug 2009   #10

Windows 7 Ultimate and Ubuntu 9.04
 
 

Yeah, it solved my problem, thanks!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Changing the installing username?




Thread Tools




Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:38 PM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33