Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Need to Recover Data from WD Passport External HD

09 Apr 2012   #11
torre

Win 7, 32bit, Premium
 
 

Thanks all, leaning toward futur's recommendation, but will try teskdisk. Thanks sibbil.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
09 Apr 2012   #12
jimbo45

Linux CENTOS 7 / various Windows OS'es and servers
 
 

Hi there
As a last resort I see that Windows hasn't assigned the drive a letter.
Just try in Computer management to assign a letter (Change / add Drive letter).

Can't do any harm and you *Might* just get lucky.

Cheers
jimbo
My System SpecsSystem Spec
09 Apr 2012   #13
gregrocker

 

Install Partition Wizard Home edition, rightclick on the HD to Check File System. You may have to Add a drive letter in PW first.

If this fails try a Surface Scan of drive. Then File System check again.

Last resort is to take drive out of case, install into a laptop to run HD Diagnostic extended CD scan to see if it can repair the HD.

Any of these may repair it enough to copy out data. If not try Recuva - Features
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

09 Apr 2012   #14
FuturDreamz

Windows 8 Pro (32-bit)
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by gregrocker View Post
Install Partition Wizard Home edition, rightclick on the HD to Check File System. You may have to Add a drive letter in PW first.

If this fails try a Surface Scan of drive. Then File System check again.

Last resort is to take drive out of case, install into a laptop to run HD Diagnostic extended CD scan to see if it can repair the HD.

Any of these may repair it enough to copy out data. If not try Recuva - Features
Maybe, but the "No Media" error seems to be like Windows can see the controller, but not the drive. It would be like trying to do a disk scan on a CD drive with no CD inserted.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
09 Apr 2012   #15
torre

Win 7, 32bit, Premium
 
 

Installed the Partition Wizard. It does recognize Disk 2 (Passport) It will take almost an hour to scan.

Thanks all. Will report results, probably later tonight or tomorrow.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
09 Apr 2012   #16
gregrocker

 

Watch for the autorun box to pop up which will mean that it has been repaired enough to access - let it complete anyway.

It is a partition and not Unallocated Space if it accepted a drive letter and is Checking File System. Looking good.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
09 Apr 2012   #17
gigagiggles

Windows 7 Home Premium x64
 
 

torre, you may have overthought the problem and process.

I had one Passport. When I bought another Passport of the same size, the PC rejected the second saying it's sharing the same ID as the first. ???

After giving up initially and working around it by using it singularly, I tried again and went into disk management as you did. This time, I right-clicked the unrecognized Passport and selected one of the options (it may have been allocation). While I was at it, I also changed the name and drive letter. It's been working cooperatively ever since without loss of data from the allocation.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
09 Apr 2012   #18
torre

Win 7, 32bit, Premium
 
 

Thanks greg. Only prob this is a 500GB drive, estimated time to complete is approx 5 hrs.

Before starting scan, I did a partial recover operation with the wizard which indicated the files were there.

But do you think my problem of the disk not being recognized is disk error or a power issue with the usb controller ? Thanks !
My System SpecsSystem Spec
09 Apr 2012   #19
torre

Win 7, 32bit, Premium
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by gigagiggles View Post
torre, you may have overthought the problem and process.

I had one Passport. When I bought another Passport of the same size, the PC rejected the second saying it's sharing the same ID as the first. ???

After giving up initially and working around it by using it singularly, I tried again and went into disk management as you did. This time, I right-clicked the unrecognized Passport and selected one of the options (it may have been allocation). While I was at it, I also changed the name and drive letter. It's been working cooperatively ever since without loss of data from the allocation.


Thanks for the reply, but my problem is the Passport is not recognized and can't be accessed.

Also, I can't find the option to assign a drive letter to disk 2 (passport)
My System SpecsSystem Spec
09 Apr 2012   #20
F5ing

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by torre View Post
Before starting scan, I did a partial recover operation with the wizard which indicated the files were there.

But do you think my problem of the disk not being recognized is disk error or a power issue with the usb controller ? Thanks !
This info, along with the screenshot you posted, makes it appear as though there is nothing wrong at all with your external drive (physical/electronics).

But system data at the very beginning of the drive got corrupted somehow. The data located there is necessary to allow the OS to access anything on the drive.

Is it possible that it was unplugged while files were still being written to it?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Need to Recover Data from WD Passport External HD




Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
WD My Passport External HDD not showing in my computer
A friend gave me his external to transfer some files onto it but I cant seem to get it to show in my computer. It shows in device manager and disk management and it also shows up in devices and printers. I've tried assigning its own drive letter but those options are greyed out. ...
Hardware & Devices
WD External HD Passport Esssential not detected
I've come across all sort of solution regarding hard disk not being detected on My Computer. Most solutions would be for one that have blinking LED & vibrating which you can solve the problem by using Disk Managament etc. However my problem is the light is blinking but there is not vibration...
Hardware & Devices
Need a Method To Extract Data From a My Passport External Drive
My sister has a 500 GB My Passport that no longer shows up when attached with a USB cable to any computer. We've tried different cables and different PCs. The drive always lights up and gives that slight vibration and warmth that indicate it's connected. But it never shows up in Explorer or...
Backup and Restore
windows7 wont boot and need to know how to recover data external HD
my computer rebooted itself twice last week and now i cant boot windows7 on my desktop i tried all the safe modes ect. I need to recover my data but dont know how or if my external hard drive will work while trying to do this. btw,i dont get a blue screen i get a screen with red,green,blue,yellow...
General Discussion
how do i recover 'WindowsImageBackup' stored on wd passport
i have created a system image (using windows backup and restore) and placed it on an external wd 150gb passport. when i try to do a restore, there doesn't seem to be option to restore from the wd passport. is there any way to restore from the wd passport?
Backup and Restore
External USB WD Passport Essential will not start
When plugged in in makes the "USB sound" It shows on device manager as a "Disk Drive" with exclamation point. Under properties it says "Device cannot start code 10). It gives driver verstion 6.1.7600.16385,. It will not format. I shows no other information. This drive works perfectly on my...
Drivers


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 15:33.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App