I set up a netbook for my mother with Windows 7 Professional x84. She's a complete beginner.
I altered the registry so that:
- It hid my 'Chris' (admin) user account, leaving just her 'Mum' (restricted) account, and
- it would automatically log in to Windows with her account.
Now I can't seem to find a way to regain Administrator privileges / log into my account. I've tried:
- Changing the registry back - I can't as no admin privileges on her account.
- Booting to Windows Repair - I can login as myself, then I've tried various options such as:
- System Restore - doesn't go far back enough.
- Using the Command Prompt to make changes (e.g. Registry Editor, net user administrator /active:yes) - however the changes only affect the temporary (X:\) Windows Repair, not the actual Windows 7 installation, even when changed directory to C:\.
- Re-installation of Windows 7 via DVD (keeping files/settings as they are) - however to perform this it can't be run from boot, and you need to be logged in to an administrator account.
- Safe Mode - No help, the same problems occur.
Other than formatting and reinstalling the OS, are there any other options you can think of to regain admin access?