Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: No matter WHAT I DO I can't delete a "system volume information" folde

15 Apr 2012   #1

win 7
 
 
No matter WHAT I DO I can't delete a "system volume information" folde

I copied the "system volume information" folder from my C: drive to my external hard drive in order to back up the restore points. Now I want to delete the folder, but no matter what I do, I cannot delete it. I always get an error "an error occurred while applying security information to"..... usually F:\MediaID.bin.

I click 'continue', and then try to delete the folder or some files within it, and nothing happens.


I am an administrator
I am the owner
I have full access



My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

15 Apr 2012   #2

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by peanutaxis View Post
I am an administrator
I am the owner
I have full access

I am an administrator -- But you're not System
I am the owner -- No, System is
I have full access -- Apparently not



That's one of the folders with pretty much exclusive access only by the system for security and other reasons.

You could try taking ownership. Or is that what you did?

Why are you trying to do this?

If you want to keep using System Restore, it's best to leave it alone.

How would you intend to ever use the restore files you copied?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
15 Apr 2012   #3

Windows 7 Professional x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by peanutaxis View Post
I copied the "system volume information" folder from my C: drive to my external hard drive in order to back up the restore points. Now I want to delete the folder, but no matter what I do, I cannot delete it. I always get an error "an error occurred while applying security information to"..... usually F:\MediaID.bin.

I click 'continue', and then try to delete the folder or some files within it, and nothing happens.


I am an administrator
I am the owner
I have full access

Are you comfortable using the command prompt? Post back and I may be able to help, if the answer is yes.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


15 Apr 2012   #4

Winbdows 7 ultimate x64 | Ubuntu 12.04 x64 LTS
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by peanutaxis View Post
I copied the "system volume information" folder from my C: drive to my external hard drive in order to back up the restore points. Now I want to delete the folder, but no matter what I do, I cannot delete it. I always get an error "an error occurred while applying security information to"..... usually F:\MediaID.bin.

I click 'continue', and then try to delete the folder or some files within it, and nothing happens.


I am an administrator
I am the owner
I have full access

Can easily be achieved by booting off a live cd, like ubuntu, browsing to your windows partition and deleting the system volume information folder.
However, its best left alone. Its there for a reason. Proceed only if you know what are you doing.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
16 Apr 2012   #5

win 7
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by sibbil View Post

I am an administrator -- But you're not System
I am the owner -- No, System is
I have full access -- Apparently not



That's one of the folders with pretty much exclusive access only by the system for security and other reasons.

You could try taking ownership. Or is that what you did?

Why are you trying to do this?

If you want to keep using System Restore, it's best to leave it alone.

How would you intend to ever use the restore files you copied?
No, system is not the "owner". I am. Exclusively. And windows tells me that I have "full access"

Like I said, I copied the folder to an external drive to back up the restore points. Now I want to delete that folder on the external drive. I would use those restore points by copying them into the C: drive folder of the same name.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
16 Apr 2012   #6

win 7
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Sir George View Post

Are you comfortable using the command prompt? Post back and I may be able to help, if the answer is yes.
Yes, quite comfortable. Thanks.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
16 Apr 2012   #7

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by peanutaxis View Post
No, system is not the "owner". I am. Exclusively. And windows tells me that I have "full access"

Like I said, I copied the folder to an external drive to back up the restore points. Now I want to delete that folder on the external drive. I would use those restore points by copying them into the C: drive folder of the same name.
You've taken ownership?

Maybe all you've got to do is delete from an elevated command prompt.

You could always do it with a bootable CD/DVD that can read NTFS (regardless of ownership or anything).
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 No matter WHAT I DO I can't delete a "system volume information" folde




Thread Tools



Similar help and support threads for2: No matter WHAT I DO I can't delete a "system volume information" folde
Thread Forum
Solved How to delete "System Volume Information" folder on Win 7 Performance & Maintenance
tell me how to delete System Volume Information on D: Performance & Maintenance
D: drive has "System Volume Information", can I delete or move? Hardware & Devices
I can't delete pagefile.sys and System Volume Information General Discussion
Solved "System volume information" folder on my old Vista installation General Discussion
So I just miss-clicked "Delete Volume" in Disk Management Hardware & Devices
Is it safe to delete the" System Volume Information" folder. General Discussion

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:32 AM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33