Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Cannot restart or shutdown windows 7


17 Apr 2012   #1

Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit
 
 
Cannot restart or shutdown windows 7

Okay, this is the first time I encountered this problem. Help
I didn't do anything with my pc, I just wanted to restart it but after I clicked it, nothing happens No pop up message appears after clicking restart


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

17 Apr 2012   #2

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bits 7601 Multiprocessor Free Service Pack 1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Yatchiie View Post
Okay, this is the first time I encountered this problem. Help
I didn't do anything with my pc, I just wanted to restart it but after I clicked it, nothing happens No pop up message appears after clicking restart
shutdown works? logoff work?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
17 Apr 2012   #3

Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit
 
 

it didn't work too
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


17 Apr 2012   #4

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bits 7601 Multiprocessor Free Service Pack 1
 
 

"other user","logoff", "lock","shutdown","reboot".... none of them work?
press power button once... does it shutdown?

Your mouse click works fine in windows?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
17 Apr 2012   #5

Win 7 Pro x64 SP1, Win 7 Ult x86 SP1
 
 

Does the PC turn on at all?

When you push the power button does anything start-up, light-up, fans spin, screen displays something, etc. ?

If not, sounds like your Power Supply died.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
18 Apr 2012   #6

Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by DavidW7ncus View Post
Does the PC turn on at all?

When you push the power button does anything start-up, light-up, fans spin, screen displays something, etc. ?

If not, sounds like your Power Supply died.
it works fine

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Kaktussoft View Post
"other user","logoff", "lock","shutdown","reboot".... none of them work?
press power button once... does it shutdown?

Your mouse click works fine in windows?
my mouse clicks fine ..other options didn't work too including the manual setup of safe mode in > msconfig>boot>safe mode . after clicking restart the computer didn't restart itself, I've been waiting for like 10 minutes but still the desktop icons didn't disappear
My System SpecsSystem Spec
18 Apr 2012   #7

Win7 Ultimate x64 SP1 / WCP x64 / Ubuntu 11 x64
 
 

Quote:
my mouse clicks fine ..other options didn't work too including the manual setup of safe mode in > msconfig>boot>safe mode . after clicking restart the computer didn't restart itself, I've been waiting for like 10 minutes but still the desktop icons didn't disappear
Hello Yatchie,

Try running a Full Scan with Malware Bytes.
Then run a System File Check.
Please report us back the results.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
18 Apr 2012   #8

Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit
 
 

My AV detected a rootkit that cannot be healed called inline hook ntkmlpa.exe, I don't know if that rootkit caused my problem
My System SpecsSystem Spec
18 Apr 2012   #9

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 Ult. x64 Windows 8.1 x64 Ubuntu 12.04 LTS Tri-Boot
 
 

Yatchie,

Please download TDSSKILLER.ZIP from the bottom of this link, run it, then post back the results here.

Anti-rootkit utility TDSSKiller

Regards,
Golden
My System SpecsSystem Spec
18 Apr 2012   #10

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bits 7601 Multiprocessor Free Service Pack 1
 
 

Boot from System Repair Disc - Create or Windows 7 install dvd
now System Recovery Options option 2

select "command prompt"

Code:
bootrec/fixmbr
bootrec/fixboot
Your MBR virus is gone! But windows contains a virus that automatically rewrites the MBR with the rootkit. So don't start windows yet!

Now boot again form that cd/dvd and perform "system restore" and go back in time prior to infection.
Now boot normally from harddisk
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Cannot restart or shutdown windows 7




Thread Tools



Similar help and support threads for2: Cannot restart or shutdown windows 7
Thread Forum
Solved Windows 7 shutdown or restart take too long about almost 5 minutes Performance & Maintenance
Windows 7 pressing restart causes shutdown instead Performance & Maintenance
windows 7 restart or shutdown stays at shutdown screen General Discussion
Solved Windows 7 Crashes at Shutdown/Restart BSOD Help and Support
BSOD Windows 7 x64 shutdown and/or restart randomly BSOD Help and Support
Windows 7 Hangs on Shutdown / Restart Performance & Maintenance
Windows 7 hangs taskhost.exe on restart or shutdown General Discussion

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:20 PM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33