Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable


02 May 2012   #1

Windows 7 Ultimate x6
 
 
Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable

As instructed in this forum, I even ran SFC /SCANNOW more than three times. Attached is my sfcdetails.txt. What files are possibly corrupted?

By the way, when running sfc /scannow, does it change back to defaults the custom registry settings I modified for my SSD like disable prefetch and superfetch?

It seems that explorer.exe is the unrepairable file, but why?



Attached Files
File Type: txt sfcdetails.txt (192.0 KB, 139 views)
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

02 May 2012   #2

XP / Win7 x64 Pro
 
 

SFC won't change back the registry settings for your SSD.

It does appear that explorer.exe is the only corrupt file it's finding, but you're saying each time you run SFC it comes up with this error even though it says it's been repaired?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
02 May 2012   #3

Windows 7 Ultimate x6
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by FliGi7 View Post
SFC won't change back the registry settings for your SSD.

It does appear that explorer.exe is the only corrupt file it's finding, but you're saying each time you run SFC it comes up with this error even though it says it's been repaired?
No, it's not that. Every time I ran SFC /SCANNOW I receive an error (Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to repair them) at the end. I'm reading in this forum that this is a very common problem.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


02 May 2012   #4
whs
Microsoft MVP

Vista, Windows7, Mint Mate, Zorin, Windows 8
 
 

The system file checker can only repair those files of which it has a copy in the mirror - and that are only very essential system files.

The next step would be to run a repair/install with the installation disc because the installation disk has a copy of all files that were used for the initial installation.

But even repair/install may not be able to repair all files. E.g. files that came from a later installation of programs it would not know - typically corrupted .dlls that came with programs cannot be repaired.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
02 May 2012   #5

Windows 7 Ultimate x6
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by whs View Post
The system file checker can only repair those files of which it has a copy in the mirror - and that are only very essential system files.

The next step would be to run a repair/install with the installation disc because the installation disk has a copy of all files that were used for the initial installation.

But even repair/install may not be able to repair all files. E.g. files that came from a later installation of programs it would not know - typically corrupted .dlls that came with programs cannot be repaired.
Ok, I understand but I don't want to do a repair install for some reasons. What I want to know is why my explorer.exe seems to be corrupted? Does it give some information in the sfcdetails.txt?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
02 May 2012   #6

XP / Win7 x64 Pro
 
 

What are those reasons? Do you have third party software installed that modifies themes or other system settings?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
02 May 2012   #7
whs
Microsoft MVP

Vista, Windows7, Mint Mate, Zorin, Windows 8
 
 

The 'why' you will probably never find out. And if you don't want to repair it, there is nothing we can do.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
02 May 2012   #8

Windows 7 Ultimate x6
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by FliGi7 View Post
What are those reasons? Do you have third party software installed that modifies themes or other system settings?
I don't want the hassle of having to optimize my system again because some settings will be back to their default.

I don't have third party software for installing themes but I do have a theme installed, does that count?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
02 May 2012   #9

XP / Win7 x64 Pro
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by kevindd992002 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by FliGi7 View Post
What are those reasons? Do you have third party software installed that modifies themes or other system settings?
I don't want the hassle of having to optimize my system again because some settings will be back to their default.

I don't have third party software for installing themes but I do have a theme installed, does that count?
Well, it sounds like you're either going to have a continued hassle of a corrupted explorer.exe or a one-time hassle of reconfiguring your system settings. To make it easier, you can backup and restore your system settings with the built-in Easy Transfer tool:

Windows Easy Transfer - Transfer To & From Computers

A Windows 7 theme installed from Microsoft or from somewhere else? Where did you get the theme that is installed?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
02 May 2012   #10

Windows 7 Ultimate x6
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by FliGi7 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by kevindd992002 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by FliGi7 View Post
What are those reasons? Do you have third party software installed that modifies themes or other system settings?
I don't want the hassle of having to optimize my system again because some settings will be back to their default.

I don't have third party software for installing themes but I do have a theme installed, does that count?
Well, it sounds like you're either going to have a continued hassle of a corrupted explorer.exe or a one-time hassle of reconfiguring your system settings. To make it easier, you can backup and restore your system settings with the built-in Easy Transfer tool:

Windows Easy Transfer - Transfer To & From Computers

A Windows 7 theme installed from Microsoft or from somewhere else? Where did you get the theme that is installed?
Hmmm, ok. Is it not possible to extract explorer.exe from the installation CD and I'll just copy it over my Windows installation folder?

Here's the them that I just installed yesterday: The ROG Windows 7 Theme - Republic of Gamers
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable




Thread Tools



Similar help and support threads for2: Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable
Thread Forum
Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files... General Discussion
Windows resource protection found corruot files General Discussion
Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix General Discussion
SFC/SCANNOW windows resource protection found corrupt files but was General Discussion
"Resource protection found corrupt files..." General Discussion
Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix BSOD Help and Support
Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files Performance & Maintenance

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:40 AM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33