Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Constant freezing with seemingly no reason

07 May 2012   #31
Dan33185

MS Windows 7 Home Premium SP 1 64-bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by gregrocker View Post
Until then you can Clean Up Factory Bloatware.
Reading through this now, thanks.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
08 May 2012   #32
Dan33185

MS Windows 7 Home Premium SP 1 64-bit
 
 

Well, just got through watching about an hour of streaming video with no problems. Doesn't necessarily mean problem solved, but it's definitely a good sign. I'll give a few more tests over the next few days and hopefully report back with some good news.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
08 May 2012   #33
FliGi7

XP / Win7 x64 Pro
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Dan33185 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by FliGi7 View Post
How about we check the obvious of a hard disk failing. Failing hard drives can often cause the system to randomly freeze up. Open My Computer, right click on your C drive, then Tools, and Check Disk. You will probably need to reboot the system to check the disk for errors.

Also, when you have the freezing, is there a correlated CPU/process spike?

No problems were found with a disk check. Not sure about a CPU spike, is there a way to go back and check that once it unfreezes?
You'd have to be keeping an eye out on the task manager during the time it is freezing. It's just a realtime view, not historical.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

11 May 2012   #34
Dan33185

MS Windows 7 Home Premium SP 1 64-bit
 
 

Had my first freeze in a few days, it was only about 20 seconds, but still enough to cause a problem. Any more suggestions? I hate to say it, but it's probably going to end up with my bringing it into the shop, was hoping to avoid it as long as possible, but I have no idea what else to do.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
11 May 2012   #35
FliGi7

XP / Win7 x64 Pro
 
 

Have you checked your memory?

http://www.memtest.org/download/4.20...+-4.20.iso.zip

Download and burn that to a CD. Boot from the CD and let it run through at least 3 iterations of testing.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
11 May 2012   #36
Dan33185

MS Windows 7 Home Premium SP 1 64-bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by FliGi7 View Post
Have you checked your memory?

http://www.memtest.org/download/4.20...+-4.20.iso.zip

Download and burn that to a CD. Boot from the CD and let it run through at least 3 iterations of testing.
Did that a few nights ago, no problems found. But that program isn't necessarily 100% correct though I suppose, it could still be a memory problem?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
11 May 2012   #37
FliGi7

XP / Win7 x64 Pro
 
 

It's possible, but not particularly likely if that didn't find any errors after 3 rounds or so.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
11 May 2012   #38
gregrocker

 

Keep working through the Troubleshooting steps I gave you to watch for repeat errors in logs, look for cued Solutions, maintain a Clean Boot, etc.

I'd also stress test your RAM overnight with memtest.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
11 May 2012   #39
event3horizon

Windows 7 Pro 64 bit SP1
 
 

When you say "freezing" does everything freeze, even mouse for a small amount of time then unfreeze?

Run this for a while and note if you have any lag spikes. It can tell you if a driver is causing it:

DPC Latency Checker
My System SpecsSystem Spec
11 May 2012   #40
Dan33185

MS Windows 7 Home Premium SP 1 64-bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by event3horizon View Post
When you say "freezing" does everything freeze, even mouse for a small amount of time then unfreeze?

Run this for a while and note if you have any lag spikes. It can tell you if a driver is causing it:

DPC Latency Checker
Everything freezes. Even the sound, if I'm watching a video, the sound will just turn into a buzzing noise until it unfreezes. I'll have to run these tests tonight as I'm off to work right now, but will report back later on.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Constant freezing with seemingly no reason




Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
BSOD At random times and seemingly for no reason sometimes.
Hello Win7forums, I read the posting instructions for this subforum and I went with option one. I am uploading the file, please ask me any questions necessary to figure this problem out. If need be I can go through option two as well and ill post that information as well. Thanks in advance. ...
BSOD Help and Support
Constant 0xA bsod, seemingly random
The computer is a custom build, about a year old. i5 2500 processor asus p8p67 motherboard 8gb kingston (I think) ram nvidia geforce 550ti The crashes happen at random times, with not much in common between pc usage, like one time I was watching a film, another I was compiling some qt...
BSOD Help and Support
Computer freezing, BSOD, no particular reason
Hi! I'm getting this problem. I turn computer on and it either immedately freezes, and I have to restart it with the power nutton or it's giving me BSOD and restarts. After multiple restarts it usually starts working and it works for few days without turning off, no problem. I had a graphic card...
General Discussion
BSOD and computer freezing seemingly randomly
Hello, I have started having problems with BSOD and freezes exactly two weeks ago. It seems to happen randomly, sometimes while the PC is booting, sometimes it runs well for a few minutes and then crashes with a BSOD. Also, the display driver crashes more often ever since I have started having...
BSOD Help and Support
System rebooting / freezing @ (seemingly) random times
Hi all, Just though i'd post to see if anyone could offer up any help. My system seems to be crashing randomly. I have noticed it crashes more often when video is played (vlc if it helps). But not always, it has even crashed straight after it reboots, some times it can last an hour. I had...
BSOD Help and Support
Need help with constant freezing.
Hey everybody, I know I'm not the only one with this problem but I've looked everywhere for a fix with no luck at all. I'm having a problem with Windows 7 constantly freezing on me for no reason at all. I must be missing something very important, because I'm extremelly confused as to why this is...
General Discussion


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:02.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App