Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Windows randomly shuts down

29 Aug 2009   #1
Chsmadden

Windows 7 Professional 32-bit/MS-DOS 6.22
 
 
Windows randomly shuts down

So I've got the Windows 7 Beta installed on my Pentium 4 and every so often it just randomly shuts down. Now I've heard about the 7 beta doing this, but as I understand it's not supposed to start doing this until March 2010. What's going on?


My System SpecsSystem Spec
29 Aug 2009   #2
Lordbob75

Windows 7 Ultimate x64, Mint 9
 
 

No sorry. The beta started shutting down on July 1 (or August). The RC will last until March.

~Lordbob
My System SpecsSystem Spec
29 Aug 2009   #3
Chsmadden

Windows 7 Professional 32-bit/MS-DOS 6.22
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Lordbob75 View Post
No sorry. The beta started shutting down on July 1 (or August). The RC will last until March.

~Lordbob
Ahh, I see. Thank you. Time for vista again. Can't wait for the release!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
29 Aug 2009   #4
Lordbob75

Windows 7 Ultimate x64, Mint 9
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Chsmadden View Post
Ahh, I see. Thank you. Time for vista again. Can't wait for the release!
You could DL the RC for now from the MS site if you want too.

~Lordbob
My System SpecsSystem Spec
30 Aug 2009   #5
7Dreams

Windows 7 Build 7600 64bit/Ubuntu/Leopard
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Chsmadden View Post
Ahh, I see. Thank you. Time for vista again. Can't wait for the release!
Try The Release Canidate From Microsoft's Site...Hurry Downloads Will Soon End. The RC will expire in March.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
30 Aug 2009   #6
davehc
Microsoft MVP

Vista and now 7 in 32 and 64 bit.
 
 

The RC downloads from Microsoft are closed. OP will have to hunt for a third party site now.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
13 Nov 2009   #7
furious321

win7
 
 

randomly.. sometimes every couple of hours, sometimes every few minutes, it shuts down and i have to wait a minute or two or three before i can turn it back on.

when its plugged into the power i usually have the power light on but not in this case, when this happens the light is off, like the laptop is totaly dead.

this is quite annoying and i hope someone finds a solution quick. i have toshiba satellite x200-15k which runned fine on both XP and Vista. Im having the final version of win7 home premium atm.

im typing fast before it SHUTS DOWN again!!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
13 Nov 2009   #8
Lordbob75

Windows 7 Ultimate x64, Mint 9
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by furious321 View Post
randomly.. sometimes every couple of hours, sometimes every few minutes, it shuts down and i have to wait a minute or two or three before i can turn it back on.

when its plugged into the power i usually have the power light on but not in this case, when this happens the light is off, like the laptop is totaly dead.

this is quite annoying and i hope someone finds a solution quick. i have toshiba satellite x200-15k which runned fine on both XP and Vista. Im having the final version of win7 home premium atm.

im typing fast before it SHUTS DOWN again!!
Sounds like overheating, especially from a laptop.

Let it sit a while, then start it up and boot into BIOS. From there find your temps, and watch them. If they seem to spike, or hit over 90C, let us know.

~Lordbob
My System SpecsSystem Spec
14 Nov 2009   #9
furious321

win7
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Lordbob75 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by furious321 View Post
randomly.. sometimes every couple of hours, sometimes every few minutes, it shuts down and i have to wait a minute or two or three before i can turn it back on.

when its plugged into the power i usually have the power light on but not in this case, when this happens the light is off, like the laptop is totaly dead.

this is quite annoying and i hope someone finds a solution quick. i have toshiba satellite x200-15k which runned fine on both XP and Vista. Im having the final version of win7 home premium atm.

im typing fast before it SHUTS DOWN again!!
Sounds like overheating, especially from a laptop.

Let it sit a while, then start it up and boot into BIOS. From there find your temps, and watch them. If they seem to spike, or hit over 90C, let us know.

~Lordbob
yeah its probably overheating. every time it shuts down the laptop is quite hot. im now waiting for it to shut down again then ill go and check the bios temps.

what can i do in this case? is there a software-side solution to overheating?

tnx.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
14 Nov 2009   #10
Lordbob75

Windows 7 Ultimate x64, Mint 9
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by furious321 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Lordbob75 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by furious321 View Post
randomly.. sometimes every couple of hours, sometimes every few minutes, it shuts down and i have to wait a minute or two or three before i can turn it back on.

when its plugged into the power i usually have the power light on but not in this case, when this happens the light is off, like the laptop is totaly dead.

this is quite annoying and i hope someone finds a solution quick. i have toshiba satellite x200-15k which runned fine on both XP and Vista. Im having the final version of win7 home premium atm.

im typing fast before it SHUTS DOWN again!!
Sounds like overheating, especially from a laptop.

Let it sit a while, then start it up and boot into BIOS. From there find your temps, and watch them. If they seem to spike, or hit over 90C, let us know.

~Lordbob
yeah its probably overheating. every time it shuts down the laptop is quite hot. im now waiting for it to shut down again then ill go and check the bios temps.

what can i do in this case? is there a software-side solution to overheating?

tnx.
There is no software side to it....

You may need to go have the dust / gunk cleaned out of it. I don't know if you smoke, but that can cause some nasty clogs in the fans. Also, just dust can cause that too.

~Lordbob
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Windows randomly shuts down




Thread Tools



Similar help and support threads for2: Windows randomly shuts down
Thread Forum
Solved old windows xp computer randomly shuts down General Discussion
Solved computer randomly shuts down General Discussion
10 month old Windows 7 (64 bit) PC shuts down randomly.. BSOD Help and Support
PC randomly shuts off and randomly boots up after (sometimes). Hardware & Devices
New computer shuts off randomly - BSOD Help and Support
Computer shuts off randomly. BSOD Help and Support
Windows 7 shuts down randomly? General Discussion

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:08 AM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App