Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.



Windows 7: Registration question regarding Windows 7

30 Aug 2009   #11

64-bit Windows 8.1 Pro
 
 

Im thinking that the OP installed a copy of a TechNet version, and wants to register it with a retail key when it becomes available... correct me if Im wrong...

My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

30 Aug 2009   #12
Microsoft MVP

W 7 64-bit Ultimate
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Tews View Post
Im thinking that the OP installed a copy of a TechNet version, and wants to register it with a retail key when it becomes available... correct me if Im wrong...
That's how I understood it. It's just getting OT.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
30 Aug 2009   #13

Win7 x64 Ultimate SP1
 
 

lets say I setup a system for a friend using a tech net key with the provision that they purchase a retail version when they are available.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


30 Aug 2009   #14
Microsoft MVP

W 7 64-bit Ultimate
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by ken9122 View Post
lets say I setup a system for a friend using a tech net key with the provision that they purchase a retail version when they are available.
There's an option in control panel, system to change the product key, that should work but YMMV.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
30 Aug 2009   #15

Win7 x64 Ultimate SP1
 
 

what's what i thought sorry to go a little OT
ken
My System SpecsSystem Spec
30 Aug 2009   #16

Windows 7
 
 

In the situation I'm in I installed the RTM without the registration key and was told that this would be OK if I could stand the naggs from Microsoft over the fact that the RTM was not yet registered. I was told that at the close of 30 days I would need to re-arm the RTM for another 30 days and that I could do this 3 times for a total of 120 day. Based on my install date of August 21st I should only have to re-arm twice before I get my hands on my "official" paid version of the product. I just didn't want to go to the trouble of reinstalling a bunch of apps and moving a bunch of files to my new machine and then finding out - oops you can't register RTM.

On that note..... Assuming that I can use the retail key on the RTM where (How) do I enter the key?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
30 Aug 2009   #17

64-bit Windows 8.1 Pro
 
 

Right click on My Computer>Properties... You will see the option to change keys.... enter your retail key ...

Product Key Number - Change
My System SpecsSystem Spec
30 Aug 2009   #18

Windows 7
 
 

I have a twist on the question..... The copy of Windows 7 that I ordered from Amazon.com is Windows 7 Professional Upgrade as my original plan was to install a spare copy of Windows XP Pro on my new system first. A person on another forum said that he didn't think that the upgrade license key will not work with the RTM since the RTM is the full version. Unless there is some way for Microsoft to detect between the two I don't know if this is true or not as you cannot upgrade from XP to Windows 7 without doing a full and complete install of 7 from the boot CD. Anyone have any thoughts?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
30 Aug 2009   #19

Win 8 Release candidate 8400
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Moondoggy View Post
I have a twist on the question..... The copy of Windows 7 that I ordered from Amazon.com is Windows 7 Professional Upgrade as my original plan was to install a spare copy of Windows XP Pro on my new system first. A person on another forum said that he didn't think that the upgrade license key will not work with the RTM since the RTM is the full version. Unless there is some way for Microsoft to detect between the two I don't know if this is true or not as you cannot upgrade from XP to Windows 7 without doing a full and complete install of 7 from the boot CD. Anyone have any thoughts?
First there is a chart here on SF called upgrade paths. search for it and you will have the info you need. Im upgrading you upgrade from a pro version to a pro version. The rtm is ultimate. Ms can tell the difference because its in the keys.

Hope this helps

Ken
My System SpecsSystem Spec
30 Aug 2009   #20
Microsoft MVP

W 7 64-bit Ultimate
 
 

Here's that thread.


Win7 Upgrade paths
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Registration question regarding Windows 7





Thread Tools



Similar help and support threads for2: Registration question regarding Windows 7
Thread Forum
Solved Windows registration information... General Discussion
Installing Windows 7 from registration key General Discussion
Solved Seven Forums, Eight Forums, Registration question Chillout Room
Windows Upgrade Offer Registration Now Available News
Windows registration info Windows Updates & Activation
Self-registration of DLL fails in Windows 7 Software
Programmatic ocx registration under Windows 7 Software

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:13 AM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33