Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Windows 7 pro OEM System Builder - What is this?


17 May 2012   #1

windows 7 pro
 
 
Windows 7 pro OEM System Builder - What is this?

What is OEM?

Amazon.com: Windows 7 Professional SP1 64bit (Full) System Builder DVD 1 Pack: Software
I saw this on amazon. Does this lock into motherboard? and the retail version does not? I can barely afford this, let alone the almost twice-as-much retail version...so...what is this? How does this compare to the retail version of 7 pro? I dislike anything 'rooting to my motherboard'; virii do that.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

17 May 2012   #2

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 SP1, Home Premium, 64-bit
 
 

OEM is restricted to the original motherboard.

That link appears to be OEM.

Legal only for PCs intended for resale, but MS apparently does not enforce this often.

Sometimes, MS will allow you to use it on another board since boards do fail--if you are using the same model board replacement or happen to get a sympathetic person on the phone at MS.

Drop back to Home Premium retail unless you know you need features found only on Professional.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
17 May 2012   #3

Windows 7 Pro X64 SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by johntkucz View Post
What is OEM?

Amazon.com: Windows 7 Professional SP1 64bit (Full) System Builder DVD 1 Pack: Software
I saw this on amazon. Does this lock into motherboard? and the retail version does not? I can barely afford this, let alone the almost twice-as-much retail version...so...what is this? How does this compare to the retail version of 7 pro? I dislike anything 'rooting to my motherboard'; virii do that.
It doesn't "lock into" your motherboard. However, Microsoft may refuse to activate it if you try to install it on a different motherboard.

It also seems that you violate the license agreement if you install a System Builder copy on a system for personal use, but there appears to be no enforcement mechanism for that.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


17 May 2012   #4

Windows 7 Professional x64 Service Pack 1
 
 

I, personally, have used that type of disc before and it activated with no problem, but apparently Micro$oft doesn't like when you buy those copies and use them for personal use. They talk about it, but they have never come really public about it, so they obviously don't care. As the people above have said, they don't enforce it as I can install it and activate it.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
17 May 2012   #5

Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64-Bit
 
 

If you build your own computer it could be argued that you are a system builder and are therefore entitled to use the cheaper OEM disc.

You need to be aware that this version is tied to the first computer you install it on and cannot be transferred to another computer.

The retail version is more expensive, but can be transferred to another computer providing it is removed from the original.

The choice is yours:

If you want to save money, buy the OEM version.

If you don't want the restrictions this entails, buy the retail version.

If cost is a stumbling block, have you considered Linux?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
21 May 2012   #6

windows 7 pro
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by bobkn View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by johntkucz View Post
What is OEM?

Amazon.com: Windows 7 Professional SP1 64bit (Full) System Builder DVD 1 Pack: Software
I saw this on amazon. Does this lock into motherboard? and the retail version does not? I can barely afford this, let alone the almost twice-as-much retail version...so...what is this? How does this compare to the retail version of 7 pro? I dislike anything 'rooting to my motherboard'; virii do that.
It doesn't "lock into" your motherboard. However, Microsoft may refuse to activate it if you try to install it on a different motherboard.

It also seems that you violate the license agreement if you install a System Builder copy on a system for personal use, but there appears to be no enforcement mechanism for that.

Soo...what does it do? How does it work? I spent a lot of time researching and investing in building my rig and don't want any rubbish "attaching onto" my mobo.

Does it identify some unique mobo identifier (like serial number?) and then only install to that? How does it work. Still sounds virus-like.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
21 May 2012   #7

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 SP1, Home Premium, 64-bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by johntkucz View Post


Soo...what does it do? How does it work?

Does it identify some unique mobo identifier (like serial number?) and then only install to that? How does it work. Still sounds virus-like.
If you want some reading material:

Licensing FAQ

You can think of it as a serial number if you prefer.

Get a retail version if you are laying awake in bed thinking about this.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
21 May 2012   #8

Windows 7 Pro X64 SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by johntkucz View Post
Soo...what does it do? How does it work? I spent a lot of time researching and investing in building my rig and don't want any rubbish "attaching onto" my mobo.

Does it identify some unique mobo identifier (like serial number?) and then only install to that? How does it work. Still sounds virus-like.
It's just the regular Windows activation thing. It generates a code based on hardware identifiers in your system (the MAC address of the network card is a major one) and sends it to the activation servers. If your hardware changes too much from the original baseline, you have to activate again. It's not supposed to uniquely identify your machine, but it prevents your license key from being used on multiple PCs.

If that's unaccaptable, don't use Windows XP, Vista, or 7.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
21 May 2012   #9
Microsoft MVP

 

Nothing is installed on your system - activation is recorded as a numeric hardware signature in MS Servers. On OEM the mobo component cannot change without special exception during phone reactivation.

The best deal right now is Home Premium Upgrade Family 3 pack for $125 on buy.com.

That's 3 licenses for less than the price of one. You can share them with family or friends as long as you make sure they are not installed on more than 3 computers at the same time.

Any retail Windows 7 besides OEM can migrate to the machine of your choice.

In the case of upgrade version you need to have a qualifying XP or Vista which came on the computer or a retail copy on hand which doesn't need to be installed since this is on the honor System.

However if you install Upgrade version to a HD with no OS on it it requires leaving the Product Key blank until after install to do the quick registry workaround given here to activate Upgrade version on cleaned HD: Clean Install with a Upgrade Windows 7 Version
My System SpecsSystem Spec
21 May 2012   #10

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by seavixen32 View Post
If you build your own computer it could be argued that you are a system builder and are therefore entitled to use the cheaper OEM disc.
But the EULA also states that you have to "sell" the computer to a third party and provide support to the third party. <That's the stumbling block to this and why MS says it's not intended for home users, enthusiasts or hobbyists for their own personal use.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Windows 7 pro OEM System Builder - What is this?




Thread Tools



Similar help and support threads for2: Windows 7 pro OEM System Builder - What is this?
Thread Forum
System Builder version of Windows 7 General Discussion
MS Win 7 OEM System Builder Version Installation & Setup
Is Microsoft changing policy on System Builder licensing for Windows 8 News
can I use Windows 7 pro OEM system builder DVD pack for my laptop Software
Windows 7 System Builder Question Hardware & Devices
Dead Cheap Windows 7 OEM/System Builder News

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:03 AM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33