Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: 64 bit (slow)?


01 Sep 2009   #1

Windows 7 x64 RC1, Vista Ultimate, XP Pro
 
 
64 bit (slow)?

I had a 32 bit and have a 64 bit windows 7 now on the same computer and I am finding out that the 64 bit is slower. Now is this my imagination or maybe I just have something screwed up on my 64 bit OS. What has been your experience because I am going to build a quad system and I'm not sure which one to put on it. I have an Intel E6550 now.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

01 Sep 2009   #2

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by golden039 View Post
I had a 32 bit and have a 64 bit windows 7 now on the same computer and I am finding out that the 64 bit is slower. Now is this my imagination or maybe I just have something screwed up on my 64 bit OS. What has been your experience because I am going to build a quad system and I'm not sure which one to put on it. I have an Intel E6550 now.
How much slower are you talking? I run Win 7 64 on my quad core machine with 8GB of RAM and am now running Win 7 64 on my dual core laptop with 4GB of RAM and my desktop is a bit faster...as you would expect. But I certainly don't feel that the 64-bit system is really any slower.

I guess it depends upon how much RAM you plan to have. I've got 8GB to support a handful of virtual machines...so 64-bit was my only real option.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
01 Sep 2009   #3

 
 

With 4gigs of RAM 64bit must be faster then 32bit.
I have only 2gigs and 64bit is much faster then 32bit.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


01 Sep 2009   #4

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Sassa View Post
With 4gigs of RAM 64bit must be faster then 32bit.
I have only 2gigs and 64bit is much faster then 32bit.
I've never really felt, noticed, or been able to time any tangible differences between average tasks with 64-bit. It's no slower...but I don't think it's tangibly faster either.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
01 Sep 2009   #5

 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by pparks1 View Post
I've never really felt, noticed, or been able to time any tangible differences between average tasks with 64-bit. It's no slower...but I don't think it's tangibly faster either.
It's not tangibly faster, but I can feel the difference...
Maybe it's mine subjective opinion...
And not to mention that 32bit OS supports only 3.2gigs of RAM...
My System SpecsSystem Spec
01 Sep 2009   #6

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Sassa View Post
It's not tangibly faster, but I can feel the difference...
Maybe it's mine subjective opinion...
And not to mention that 32bit OS supports only 3.2gigs of RAM...
Yes, if you have more than 4GB of RAM..you have not real choice. My work laptop has 4GB of RAM and I opted for 32-bit to keep my install footprint as small as possible. My lappy only has a 160GB drive and it now boots Vista 32bit, Windows 7 32bit and Ubuntu 9.04 32bit. So, space is very much a concern for me.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
01 Sep 2009   #7

 
 

@pparks1
Look at my system specs and see on what I'm running Win 7...
Interesting thing is that I have +0.3 greater WEI for my graphic gaming performance than I had in Vista...
My System SpecsSystem Spec
01 Sep 2009   #8

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

If I were you, I would replace that 160GB old SATA drive with a newer version. It will absolutely smoke that old drive and give you a serious performance boost. And you can pick up a WD Caviar 640GB for like $65. Of course, this might not apply to you as you don't live in the states..as I do.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
01 Sep 2009   #9

 
 

@pparks1
I will rebuild my computer next year....
Just waiting Dx11 cards to be released.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
02 Sep 2009   #10

Win 7 beta
 
 

My unscientific feeling is that on my machine the Win 7 32 bit beta ran faster than the Win 64 bit 7 RC does now. And to add to the problem Palm does not have a 64 bit driver (that I have found), I am not a gamer so will probably install the 32 bit flavor when I get the final release. I have 4 GB ram with a E5200 Pentium processor.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 64 bit (slow)?




Thread Tools




Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:43 PM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33