Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Creating partitions

31 May 2012   #11
PSCO2007

Windows 7 Professional X64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by ignatzatsonic View Post
That's as expected. No problems.

You will notice that System Reserved is marked Active. That's the only partition that needs to be marked active on that hard drive.

All your partitions are shown as simple and basic. That's good. No dynamic, which can be a major pain.

The partitions on drive 1 are all "logical". That's OK, but it would also be OK if they were "primary".

I assume partition L is some sort of operating system?

You can go back into EaseUS and do what you originally planned, but I'd say this:

Why make a total of 5 partitions on that drive?

Why not just 3: System Reserved, C, and D, all primary? Then use a folder structure on D to subdivide your stuff into DVDs to burn and storage (rather than a 4th and 5th partition). That's what I would do. But your way is OK, too. It's just personal preference.
I just thought partitions would be easier to manage.
Thanks for all your help - I added to your rep- never saw that on any other forums.

L is an external hdd.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

31 May 2012   #12
ignatzatsonic

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 SP1, Home Premium, 64-bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by PSCO2007 View Post

I just thought partitions would be easier to manage.
The problem with a bunch of partitions is that you cannot guess in advance how large they should be. You increase the chance of running out of space on one of them---where you would not if you have just 1 big partition.

A single big partition can also simplify your backup strategy.

I haven't found multiple partitions easier to manage. I used to do that, but now I have 3 drives, all with a single partition--one for the OS, one for data, one for backup.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
01 Jun 2012   #13
PSCO2007

Windows 7 Professional X64
 
 

I took your advice and just made 3 partitions - mbr,primary and storage.
I'll use folders to keeps all the storage straight.

I just wanted the os on a small partition so I could restore quickly if I had a problem.

Thanks again!!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


01 Jun 2012   #14
ignatzatsonic

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 SP1, Home Premium, 64-bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by PSCO2007 View Post
I took your advice and just made 3 partitions - mbr,primary and storage.
I'll use folders to keeps all the storage straight.

I just wanted the os on a small partition so I could restore quickly if I had a problem.

Thanks again!!
OK.

Yeah, a smallish C is a good idea--it keeps the images small.

You would need to restore System Reserved as well as C if you are trying to restore your operating system.

Post a pic of the new setup.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
01 Jun 2012   #15
PSCO2007

Windows 7 Professional X64
 
 

Here it is -


Attached Thumbnails
-final-partitions.jpg  
My System SpecsSystem Spec
01 Jun 2012   #16
ignatzatsonic

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 SP1, Home Premium, 64-bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by PSCO2007 View Post
Here it is -
Looks good.

G is logical. That's fine. It could also have been "primary". No need to change it.

L is active. Normally, you would only want a partition marked "active" if there was an operating system on that drive. I am guessing that disk 2 in your pic (with the Elements partitions) does not contain an OS? If that's true, I'd probably mark L as inactive. It isn't likely to cause a problem now, but there's no need for it if there is no OS on that hard drive.

Other than that you are good to go. Good job with EaseUS.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
01 Jun 2012   #17
PSCO2007

Windows 7 Professional X64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by ignatzatsonic View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by PSCO2007 View Post
Here it is -
Looks good.

G is logical. That's fine. It could also have been "primary". No need to change it.

L is active. Normally, you would only want a partition marked "active" if there was an operating system on that drive. I am guessing that disk 2 in your pic (with the Elements partitions) does not contain an OS? If that's true, I'd probably mark L as inactive. It isn't likely to cause a problem now, but there's no need for it if there is no OS on that hard drive.

Other than that you are good to go. Good job with EaseUS.
The L drive has my xp and windows 7 backups on it.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
01 Jun 2012   #18
ignatzatsonic

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 SP1, Home Premium, 64-bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by PSCO2007 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by ignatzatsonic View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by PSCO2007 View Post
Here it is -
Looks good.

G is logical. That's fine. It could also have been "primary". No need to change it.

L is active. Normally, you would only want a partition marked "active" if there was an operating system on that drive. I am guessing that disk 2 in your pic (with the Elements partitions) does not contain an OS? If that's true, I'd probably mark L as inactive. It isn't likely to cause a problem now, but there's no need for it if there is no OS on that hard drive.

Other than that you are good to go. Good job with EaseUS.
The L drive has my xp and windows 7 backups on it.
OK; leave it as is.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
01 Jun 2012   #19
PSCO2007

Windows 7 Professional X64
 
 

It was great dealing with you.

This is the most civil forum around.

Thanks again!!

Paul
My System SpecsSystem Spec
01 Jun 2012   #20
gregrocker
Microsoft MVP

 
 

Paul -

I am glad you got the help you needed and have a well-organized system now.

Be aware that Easeus and all other Partition Managers and their boot disks can fail. Only Partition Wizard CD and Disk Mgmt will never fail and lose data.

I have lost data with both Easeus Home and Boot CD during resizing is why I mention this.

In thousands of partitioning operations here using free PW CD we have never had a failure - only once or twice when the user slipped and used the Home Version.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Creating partitions




Thread Tools





Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Win 7 x64 Creating Directories instead of Partitions
I read in these forums (can't find the thread) where someone recommended against the use of partitions but rather use directories. Since Win 7 seems to move drive letters around and always boots to C: regardless of partition booting into, it seems like using Directories may be as or more useful. ...
Installation & Setup
Creating multiple partitions on an SSD
If you create 2 partitions on a hard drive and copy a LARGE file from one partition to the other the copy is very slow with lots of head movement. I wonder if there is the same overhead/concept with an SSD? Yes I do realise an SSD is memory but I want to know if you partition an SSD and copy...
Hardware & Devices
Creating Partitions
:D Hi to all, I have a C drive with about 700Gb on it and no partition! I want to create a partition without losing any data. The prog Iíve got to do this is EASEUS partition master 9 but it looks complicated to use. Now the thing is, how do know how much space to allocate. The whole point...
General Discussion
Creating Partitions
I have a new computer with a 1TB HD. I want to create new partitions for my various data. Disk Management shows: SYSTEM RESERVED 100 MB NTFS Healthy, (C:) 906.34 GB NTFS Healthy (Boot, Page File, Crash Dump, Primary Partition) 857.48 GB free space, 25.07 GB Healthy (OEM Partition) In the...
General Discussion
Creating new partitions in windows 7 installation
Well I just reinstalled Windows 7 and although all went fairly well I was unable to create the partitions I wanted :(. When it came to the options on partitions I was presented with 2 partitions, one which I could not increase in size over 101mb and another 931gb partition. I could format the...
Software
Creating more than 4 partitions
I have 3 primary and logical drives on my HD. is it possible to create one more extended partition via diskpart in cmd? or through any other method?
Installation & Setup

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 23:54.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App