Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.



Windows 7: Tower Inside Of CPU Desk Safe or Not?

13 Jun 2012   #1

Windows 7 [64-Bit]
 
 
Tower Inside Of CPU Desk Safe or Not?

I plan on purchasing this desk in the near future that will house the new PC I plan on building as well. The CPU Tower I plan on using is the NZXT Phantom 410.
My question is, will it be unwise to house a PC tower such as the NZXT Phantom, inside the CPU storage area of the desk with the door close? Will my internal PC components get too hot due to restricted air flow?
Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.



Attached Thumbnails
Tower Inside Of CPU Desk Safe or Not?-desk.jpg   Tower Inside Of CPU Desk Safe or Not?-nzxt.jpg  
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

13 Jun 2012   #2

7 x64
 
 

If the desk you have posted a picture of is the desk you are going to use AND IT HAS a screen grill on the door AND has fans in the back of the desk it should be OK.

If the door is solid and no fans in the back of the desk I wouldn't use it. Even if you left the door open. With fans in the back and the door open it should be OK.

I had a friend that did this and he had one fan in the back of the desk but he always left the door closed. I repplaced more hard drives and then RAM on that system then I can count. He then moved it out of the desk and I haven't had a call about a failing hard drive from him since. That was about 3 years ago he moved it out of the desk.

He was Cooking his computer.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
13 Jun 2012   #3

Windows 7 [64-Bit]
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by edwar View Post
If the desk you have posted a picture of is the desk you are going to use AND IT HAS a screen grill on the door AND has fans in the back of the desk it should be OK.

If the door is solid and no fans in the back of the desk I wouldn't use it. Even if you left the door open. With fans in the back and the door open it should be OK.

I had a friend that did this and he had one fan in the back of the desk but he always left the door closed. I repplaced more hard drives and then RAM on that system then I can count. He then moved it out of the desk and I haven't had a call about a failing hard drive from him since. That was about 3 years ago he moved it out of the desk.

He was Cooking his computer.
Fans in the back of the desk huh? Maybe when I build the desk, maybe I should just not install the CPU cabinet door and maybe I can cut out a large area behind the CPU cabinet for air flow. The door is solid glass though. It's not a screen.
Question: Did you friend have multiple fans on his CPU tower. I plan on using 4-5 fans. At least a 200MM x2 and a 140MM x2 fans as well as a after market CPU cooler for my processor. I also plan on installing a 120MM fan on the HD cage to keep the HD's cool. Will that suffice in your opinion or still too risky?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


13 Jun 2012   #4

7 x64
 
 

It was, still is, a Dell. It is now about 10+ years old and still running. I am surprised he didn't cook the CPU.

Dells aren't known for their cooling but once he removed it from the desk it ran much better overall. It wasn't frying anymore inside that desk.

IMHO it does not matter how many fans you have inside the tower. If the tower can't get fresh cooler air it isn't going to cool.

Go outside on a hot sunny day and stand in the sun. Take a fan and blow it on you while holding a thermometer. Take a reading before you turn the fan on and then 5 minutes after it is on. I bet the thermometer will read the same or maybe 1 degree cooler, even though you may feel cooler. That is because the fan is evaporating the sweat that is on you. If you blow hot air across something it isn't going to cool, it's going to get to the temp of the air. Convection oven.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
13 Jun 2012   #5

Windows 7 [64-Bit]
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by edwar View Post
It was, still is, a Dell. It is now about 10+ years old and still running. I am surprised he didn't cook the CPU.

Dells aren't known for their cooling but once he removed it from the desk it ran much better overall. It wasn't frying anymore inside that desk.

IMHO it does not matter how many fans you have inside the tower. If the tower can't get fresh cooler air it isn't going to cool.

Go outside on a hot sunny day and stand in the sun. Take a fan and blow it on you while holding a thermometer. Take a reading before you turn the fan on and then 5 minutes after it is on. I bet the thermometer will read the same or maybe 1 degree cooler, even though you may feel cooler. That is because the fan is evaporating the sweat that is on you. If you blow hot air across something it isn't going to cool, it's going to get to the temp of the air. Convection oven.
Thanks for your opinion. I will do a bit more research on this desk and try to chat with a few actual users of the desk and then I will make my decision. Your input is appreciated.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
13 Jun 2012   #6

7 x64
 
 

You are Welcome.

Good Luck.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
13 Jun 2012   #7

Windows 7 Pro. 64/SP-1
 
 

I will put it simple. If the air that is in your desk where your computer will be installed is hotter than the ambient air temp in the room and/or doesn't flow properly to remove the hot air created by the computer you are creating a heat problem. You can install fans that move room air in and out of that desk compartment and you should be okay. You must do this in a fashion so the air blowing in and out of this desk compartment does not interfere with the air flow blowing in and out of the computer tower. This is done by trial and error. Myself I don't allow any of my computer towers to be installed in a confined space smaller than a room. Your case looks to good to be hiding.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
13 Jun 2012   #8

Windows 7 [64-Bit]
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Layback Bear View Post
I will put it simple. If the air that is in your desk where your computer will be installed is hotter than the ambient air temp in the room and/or doesn't flow properly to remove the hot air created by the computer you are creating a heat problem. You can install fans that move room air in and out of that desk compartment and you should be okay. You must do this in a fashion so the air blowing in and out of this desk compartment does not interfere with the air flow blowing in and out of the computer tower. This is done by trial and error. Myself I don't allow any of my computer towers to be installed in a confined space smaller than a room. Your case looks to good to be hiding.
I planned on putting this desk and case in my living room. That's why I considered hiding the case. So far from the opinions I have gotten from this forum, it looks as if the desk manufacturer is seemingly advertising in a falsified manner.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
13 Jun 2012   #9

Windows 7 Pro. 64/SP-1
 
 

I would be proud to show off that case in my living room.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
13 Jun 2012   #10

Windows 7 Home Premium 32-Bit - Build 7600 SP1
 
 

I have a desk similar to yours. Mine has a wooden door. I use it for computer supplies, not my system. You are asking for trouble to put you PC in there. I also have a nice NZXT case. Show it off and be proud of it while your PC breathes in all of the cool air.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Tower Inside Of CPU Desk Safe or Not?





Thread Tools



Similar help and support threads for2: Tower Inside Of CPU Desk Safe or Not?
Thread Forum
Solved Cannot access other PC on the next desk Network & Sharing
Solved Hybrid inside a Tower Performance & Maintenance
Show us your desk! Chillout Room
Win7 on desk top Drivers
30 inch lcd on desk? Graphic Cards
Desktops: Tower on desk or floor? Chillout Room
Question about this desk Customization

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:45 AM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33