Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Windows 7 not booting or recovering saying 0 os installed

22 Jun 2012   #11
gregrocker
Microsoft MVP

 
 

I would rescue files as needed and then Clean Reinstall - Factory OEM Windows 7.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

22 Jun 2012   #12
shaundak21

 
 

so here is an update of my progress. I custom installed to the recovery disk D: this partition works I can use it normally but my primary goal is to repair C:
So I copied over the system32 folder, boot folder, and registry from the newly installed D: to the C: this Fixed the registry error message. :0) I now get a new error message about what I think are kernal files still working on it. I'll let you know how it turns out.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
22 Jun 2012   #13
gregrocker
Microsoft MVP

 
 

I wish you well but almost nothing you have done is a recognized repair step for Troubleshooting Windows 7 Failure to Boot.

Those steps start with confirming the OS is free of infection as it often won't repair if so. Then it proceeds through the steps which have worked best in thousands of cases here to help get Win7 started.

Yet you ignore these proven steps and shower us with random and unguided steps you've run which almost always add up to corrupting the OS beyond Repair.

If Startup Repair can't sort it out then it's unlikely to repair. The exception is that sometimes bootrec commands (all automated in Startup Repair) can jumpstart repair if no OS appears. We also have success with Rebuilding MBR using Partition Wizard boot CD which gives you a picture of what you're doing. These steps are all compiled in Troubleshooting Windows 7 Failure to Boot, often with illustrated tutorials.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


23 Jun 2012   #14
shaundak21

 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by gregrocker View Post
I wish you well but almost nothing you have done is a recognized repair step for Troubleshooting Windows 7 Failure to Boot.

Those steps start with confirming the OS is free of infection as it often won't repair if so. Then it proceeds through the steps which have worked best in thousands of cases here to help get Win7 started.

Yet you ignore these proven steps and shower us with random and unguided steps you've run which almost always add up to corrupting the OS beyond Repair.

If Startup Repair can't sort it out then it's unlikely to repair. The exception is that sometimes bootrec commands (all automated in Startup Repair) can jumpstart repair if no OS appears. We also have success with Rebuilding MBR using Partition Wizard boot CD which gives you a picture of what you're doing. These steps are all compiled in Troubleshooting Windows 7 Failure to Boot, often with illustrated tutorials.
I did go through the steps on the link you posted. AND THEY DIDN'T work hence the other seemingly random steps I've been taking.


But here are details of those attempts:
step 1: Couldn't run in safemode of any kind. it wasn't even booting and No f8 was not a viable option/selectable/ not even showing up
step 2: can not burn images of any kind to anything. + already using install disk
step 3: sfc scan done 100% resulted in no integrity problems
step 4/5: system recovery option did zip, ran it dozens of times not just 3
step 6/7/8: minus the third party tools got me back to the missing bootmgr error

At that point I copied the bootmgr from my good laptop to the one I'm trying to fix. It also uses win 7. and it worked to get ride of that error message. so when it says error message missing-blah, I find blah on the newly installed copy or from off my other laptop if it's not in system32 of new install. that's not random :0(

and I try to post in the off chance that this works someone else can find this and take what they need to fix theirs. I've been reading up on this issue and the most likely cause of the problem for this laptop is due to the power issue not a virus. I've also been look through the forums and youtube every time a different error comes up and follow posted proven steps to fix that issue. so it isn't really unguided but I get that you really don't know how to fix my issue and it's frustrating but you don't have to be mean.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
23 Jun 2012   #15
Paarkhi

Windows 8.1u1 x64
 
 

Fresh Re-install in C:\ is best alternative but you fresh installed in D:\ and transferred the files (system32, boot folder and registry) to C:\, good if it works for you but it may create a problem for you again in future and you are still facing the kernel problem, so best is to backup if you have anything salvageable in c:\ and fresh reinstall C:\
My System SpecsSystem Spec
23 Jun 2012   #16
shaundak21

 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Paarkhi View Post
Fresh Re-install in C:\ is best alternative but you fresh installed in D:\ and transferred the files (system32, boot folder and registry) to C:\, good if it works for you but it may create a problem for you again in future and you are still facing the kernel problem, so best is to backup if you have anything salvageable in c:\ and fresh reinstall C:\
you guys are right, I was just trying to avoid having to re-install all her stuff but I'll most likely end up doing that anyway. Windows 7
My System SpecsSystem Spec
23 Jun 2012   #17
F5ing

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Now that you're booting porperly, what contents do you see on C: vs. D:?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
23 Jun 2012   #18
shaundak21

 
 

I just reinstalled to c: and deleted the install on D: since I was going to have to start from scratch anyway. And put her files back (music,pics,vids etc) from other sources. Thanks anyway.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
23 Jun 2012   #19
gregrocker
Microsoft MVP

 
 

You say you did all of the troubleshooting steps but admit you did no virus scan or half of the steps which require burning a disk, even though you have a laptop you used for other things. Then you say you "get" that we can't help fix it even though you've just admitted you didn't even get started with the steps (Step 1: Virus boot scan) which work best to start Win7.

On top of that you accuse me of being "mean" because I inquired why you appeared to follow none of the steps but instead went off on random steps which do nothing.

Somehow you seem to miss that the steps you skimmed over are the ones which have helped the most for tens of thousands of users we've helped get unbootable Win7 started since it's release.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
23 Jun 2012   #20
shaundak21

 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by gregrocker View Post
You say you did all of the troubleshooting steps but admit you did no virus scan or half of the steps which require burning a disk, even though you have a laptop you used for other things. Then you say you "get" that we can't help fix it even though you've just admitted you didn't even get started with the steps (Step 1: Virus boot scan) which work best to start Win7.

On top of that you accuse me of being "mean" because I inquired why you appeared to follow none of the steps but instead went off on random steps which do nothing.

Somehow you seem to miss that the steps you skimmed over are the ones which have helped the most for tens of thousands of users we've helped get unbootable Win7 started since it's release.
You seem to miss the whole cant burn cds part, so obviously I couldn't do that step, or anything REQUIRING me burning iso to cd/usb. It had to by skipped or alternative found. the space needed for these things was not available to me so did I "CHOOSE To ignore" once again no. Furthermore it's not your inquiry that was mean; it was the condescending tone in which you wrote it, and being that the issue is over, your need to continue to reply complaining about what I didn't do solves what exactly.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Windows 7 not booting or recovering saying 0 os installed




Thread Tools





Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Windows 7 UEFI/bootmanager stops booting after 2nd HDD installed
New Windows 7 install on a computer with only one hard drive. However, I now have another HDD with data on it that I need to plug into my SATA port on my motherboard. Once I plug this other hard drive into the motherboard I am no longer able to boot into windows. When it boots it now takes me to a...
Installation & Setup
Booting with two HDDs, both have Win 7 installed
Hello, A couple of months back I got a new HDD. It cloned my old drive (boot drive with Win 7) to my new HDD, booted into Windows and reactivated it. I have since left the old HDD in the PC, but never plugged it back in. Now I want to reformat my old HDD into a data drive (which still has my ...
General Discussion
Dual Booting with Windows 7 Installed First?
Hi everyone. I have Windows 7 64-bit and I want to install Windows XP 32-bit for extra cross-compatibility. I know 32 bit apps can work in 64 bit but I also need my printers and other devices working. I need help with a guide to dual-boot operating systems but I can't find a guide that includes...
Installation & Setup
Two OS choices when booting but only one OS is Installed?
I have Win 7 upgrade retail version. After installing, there is a folder labeled Old Windows (the WinXP I need to have on the drive in order for Win7 to upgrade). I deleted the Old Windows folder but I still get two choices when I boot the PC, as shown below ... Earlier Version of Windows...
General Discussion
Installed windows 7 on e-sata, internal windows xp not booting anymore
I have a portable with windows xp installed on together with pointsec security software. I decided to install windows 7 on an external e-sata harddisk to keep my work harddisk (xp) apart from my personal harddisk (windows 7). Now I can't boot anymore with the internal windows xp because windows...
Installation & Setup
Dual booting XP with Windows 7 already installed
I have found guide for dual booting Windows 7 with XP or Vista already installed, but not the other way around. I allocated some free space from my C drive for the XP install. I installed XP, but when I restarted my computer, I got this error, "A disk read error has occurred; press Ctrl-Alt-Del...
Installation & Setup

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 19:15.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App