Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Windows cannot access the specified device, path, file.


29 Jun 2012   #1

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 7601 Multiprocessor Free Service Pack 1
 
 
Windows cannot access the specified device, path, file.

I know there was a thread a long time ago about this, but my situation is a little different.

I downloaded Abode Masters Collection CS6 and it worked great until I restarted my computer. When I went to access the folder it showed "empty". The files are still in my Programs, but i can't access the shortcut and the icon looks corrupted(which is the only way I can describe it since I don't know exactly what it's called). Then it gives me the "Windows cannot access the specified device, path, file. Lack of permission" error. I tried disabling my anti-virus/firewall, didn't work. I've googled it and nothing then i ran by this forum, hopefully you can help me!

Thank you all in advance!


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

29 Jun 2012   #2

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 7601 Multiprocessor Free Service Pack 1
 
 



This is the icon.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
01 Jul 2012   #3

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 7601 Multiprocessor Free Service Pack 1
 
 

Really could use some help on this issue.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


01 Jul 2012   #4

Windows 7 x64 Professional SP1
 
 

Hello TylerCWells and welcome to the forums!

It sounds to me that you have the classic program permissions conflict from installing the program into the Program Files folder in Windows 7...

Try uninstalling the software, and reinstalling it in another folder on the drive that you, the user created manually (for example C:\Applications) that is not a systems folder...

Also, if you don't mind, can you fill in your system specs by following the tutorial below?

System Info - See Your System Specs

Thanks in advance!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
01 Jul 2012   #5

Windows 7 Professional x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by TylerCWells View Post
I know there was a thread a long time ago about this, but my situation is a little different.

I downloaded Abode Masters Collection CS6 and it worked great until I restarted my computer. When I went to access the folder it showed "empty". The files are still in my Programs, but i can't access the shortcut and the icon looks corrupted(which is the only way I can describe it since I don't know exactly what it's called). Then it gives me the "Windows cannot access the specified device, path, file. Lack of permission" error. I tried disabling my anti-virus/firewall, didn't work. I've googled it and nothing then i ran by this forum, hopefully you can help me!

Thank you all in advance!
A Google search provided the following link as the second result;

Error - Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file - when installing, updating or starting a program or file

Are you stating that you have already tried the results provided by Google and none of them worked?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
02 Jul 2012   #6

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 7601 Multiprocessor Free Service Pack 1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by solarmystic View Post
Hello TylerCWells and welcome to the forums!

It sounds to me that you have the classic program permissions conflict from installing the program into the Program Files folder in Windows 7...

Try uninstalling the software, and reinstalling it in another folder on the drive that you, the user created manually (for example C:\Applications) that is not a systems folder...

Also, if you don't mind, can you fill in your system specs by following the tutorial below?

System Info - See Your System Specs

Thanks in advance!
K I did! But as far as installing it into a Owner Created file. I created an "applications" folder inside my C drive and then when i reinstalled ADOBE master series, it didn't give me an option to install it elsewhere. So after it finished I simply MOVED my Adobe files from my Program Files and Program Files(x86) into the Application file and renamed the one from my (x86) to Adobe x86, so i could distinguish them. They moved without an issue whatsoever.

But again I restarted my computer and went to Start, All Programs then clicked on the Adobe Master Collection file and it was empty again. Went to access it straight from my Applications folder and the same error came up.

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Sir George View Post

A Google search provided the following link as the second result;

Error - Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file - when installing, updating or starting a program or file

Are you stating that you have already tried the results provided by Google and none of them worked?
Yes I did. I tried everything that wasn't redundant. Except one thing about installing it in "clean boot" I didn't know what that meant.

After i just re installed it again. I even went through and changed it so that everyone on my computer had access to the file...still nothing..

Thank you both for your help thus far...lol

Any other ideas?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
02 Jul 2012   #7

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 7601 Multiprocessor Free Service Pack 1
 
 

A side note.

I went into safe mode on my computer to see if the files would work there, and they do. icons are normal and it opens normally...

now im confused
My System SpecsSystem Spec
31 Oct 2012   #8

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 
Solution to Your Problem

I have found out how to solve this issue..

Took A few days to figure it out and a lot of installs and un-installing

Install CS6 master collection again and restart your machine- Make sure all anti-virus is disabled

What you have to do:

1. Press Start
2. go under "Abode Master Collection CS6 (it should say its empty)
3. now left click the folder "Adobe Master Collection" and open it..
4. it will now come up with all programmes that SHOULD have worked - their thumbnails will not be visible it will look as if its corrupted.
5. Now this is a long procedure- go on the first shortcut, lefts click and go to properties.
6. Then select the option that says "Open File Location" it will then take you to its main folder.
7. Left click the highlighted Programme within the main folder, then go on properties
8. Go on the security Tab, press "continue" then you go on "Add" then type your account name, then "check name" then tick the box "full control"
9. Then navigate to the "compatibility" Tab and select "Run this programme as an administrator (if you don't do this it will come up with another error)

You should now have the thumbnail (picture) for the programme now

You have to now repeat this for the rest of the programmes/shortcut's within the "Adobe Master Collection" Folder
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Windows cannot access the specified device, path, file.




Thread Tools




Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:24 AM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33