Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Computer suddenly slow and starts up with non-changeable classic theme

07 Jul 2012   #1
waveon

Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
 
 
Computer suddenly slow and starts up with non-changeable classic theme

The computer was perfectly fine yesterday; normal speed and using the default Windows 7 aero theme (save the background obviously).

Since today the computer is suddenly slow from the start-up already; When it comes to the "configuring windows" screen it takes about a minute instead of the second to get to the login screen. Then when I log in, everything is in the classic theme. A warning also pop-ups during start-up.

Here's a screenshot where you see the task bar in classic theme while it should be aero theme. You also see there the warning on start-up. It basically says it can't connect with a Windows server, namely the System Event Notification Service.
http://i50.tinypic.com/2a8nfyc.jpg

After start-up other problems are occurring.
First of all, parts of the computer has become slow. The most notable is right-clicking on the desktop (and only the desktop!), it will take ages before the right-click menu is loaded.
Secondly, I can not change the theme, was my initial thought to do. All themes except the classic themes are greyed out and not selectable.
Thirdly, the antivirus, Avira Antivir, starts up disabled, and whatever I try, I can not enable it. This started to happen after a few start-ups.

So yeah, quite bothersome problems. I have tried the following solutions:
- Scan my computer with Avira. I've scanned every single file my computer has, but my computer didn't find any viruses. This scan was done before Avira started acting weird.
- System recovery. I first send it back to yesterday, which was right before an Windows update. The computer was fixed after the system recovery, but after a reboot every problem was back. Now for some reason none of the system recovery points are working, including the first one I tried.

So far I have one possible conclusion: It's the Windows update from yesterday. It installed only one update, which was a definition for Windows Defender, KB915597 definition 1.129.1102.0 to be precise. It's also the only difference between today and yesterday, and before and after the first system recovery. Sadly this update re-installs itself immediately after a system recovery, and I can't find anything about this update on google, so I can't say for sure this is the cause.

Anyone knows how and why this happens and how to fix this?


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

07 Jul 2012   #2
windude99

Windows 7 Professional x64 Service Pack 1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by waveon View Post
The computer was perfectly fine yesterday; normal speed and using the default Windows 7 aero theme (save the background obviously).

Since today the computer is suddenly slow from the start-up already; When it comes to the "configuring windows" screen it takes about a minute instead of the second to get to the login screen. Then when I log in, everything is in the classic theme. A warning also pop-ups during start-up.

Here's a screenshot where you see the task bar in classic theme while it should be aero theme. You also see there the warning on start-up. It basically says it can't connect with a Windows server, namely the System Event Notification Service.
http://i50.tinypic.com/2a8nfyc.jpg

After start-up other problems are occurring.
First of all, parts of the computer has become slow. The most notable is right-clicking on the desktop (and only the desktop!), it will take ages before the right-click menu is loaded.
Secondly, I can not change the theme, was my initial thought to do. All themes except the classic themes are greyed out and not selectable.
Thirdly, the antivirus, Avira Antivir, starts up disabled, and whatever I try, I can not enable it. This started to happen after a few start-ups.

So yeah, quite bothersome problems. I have tried the following solutions:
- Scan my computer with Avira. I've scanned every single file my computer has, but my computer didn't find any viruses. This scan was done before Avira started acting weird.
- System recovery. I first send it back to yesterday, which was right before an Windows update. The computer was fixed after the system recovery, but after a reboot every problem was back. Now for some reason none of the system recovery points are working, including the first one I tried.

So far I have one possible conclusion: It's the Windows update from yesterday. It installed only one update, which was a definition for Windows Defender, KB915597 definition 1.129.1102.0 to be precise. It's also the only difference between today and yesterday, and before and after the first system recovery. Sadly this update re-installs itself immediately after a system recovery, and I can't find anything about this update on google, so I can't say for sure this is the cause.

Anyone knows how and why this happens and how to fix this?
Try booting up into Safe Mode and downloading, installing, and running a FULL scan with Malwarebytes: Download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware 1.61 - FileHippo.com
My System SpecsSystem Spec
07 Jul 2012   #3
waveon

Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by windude99 View Post
Try booting up into Safe Mode and downloading, installing, and running a FULL scan with Malwarebytes: Download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware 1.61 - FileHippo.com
Just finished scanning with Malwarebytes in safe mode, and it found a virus (a trojan.dropper?) in a .exe of a program that should be safe. It probably got infected somehow.

Anyway, the computer seems to be working fine now, so thanks for that. However, Avira is still acting weird. It still starts up disabled, and whatever I do, it doesn't want to enable. When I open Avira it says that two services aren't working properly:
http://i46.tinypic.com/23t051v.jpg

When I click on "fix problems" it will run the updater, which won't do anything since it has the newest update already.

So yeah, anything for this last one?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


07 Jul 2012   #4
windude99

Windows 7 Professional x64 Service Pack 1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by waveon View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by windude99 View Post
Try booting up into Safe Mode and downloading, installing, and running a FULL scan with Malwarebytes: Download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware 1.61 - FileHippo.com
Just finished scanning with Malwarebytes in safe mode, and it found a virus (a trojan.dropper?) in a .exe of a program that should be safe. It probably got infected somehow.

Anyway, the computer seems to be working fine now, so thanks for that. However, Avira is still acting weird. It still starts up disabled, and whatever I do, it doesn't want to enable. When I open Avira it says that two services aren't working properly:
http://i46.tinypic.com/23t051v.jpg

When I click on "fix problems" it will run the updater, which won't do anything since it has the newest update already.

So yeah, anything for this last one?
Try reinstalling Avira.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
07 Jul 2012   #5
Lee

Win 7 Pro x64, VM Win XP, Win7 Pro Sandbox, Kubuntu 11
 
 

Before reinstalling Avira remove it completely then download another antivirus program (Microsoft Security Essentials, Norton Antivirus, etc.) and run one of them. The reason being if a virus got though Avira then there is a chance it still will. Good Luck.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
07 Jul 2012   #6
waveon

Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
 
 

But I already scanned the computer with Malwarebytes and found the virus, I surely don't need to install a different antivirus just to scan my computer again?

Anyway, I reinstalled Avira, and it works properly now. Everything seems fine now, so I consider this solved for now.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
07 Jul 2012   #7
windude99

Windows 7 Professional x64 Service Pack 1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Lee View Post
Before reinstalling Avira remove it completely then download another antivirus program (Microsoft Security Essentials, Norton Antivirus, etc.) and run one of them. The reason being if a virus got though Avira then there is a chance it still will. Good Luck.
That's why we did a Malwarebytes scan I don't want to start changing up their setup a bunch if we have everything working. Every antivirus has it's weak points and every one of them will let atleast 1 virus through. I worked on a computer that had Norton on it and Malwarebytes found infected objects. After cleaning that system up and removing Norton, then system got so, so much faster. i recommend Microsoft Security Essentials, but I've heard good things about Avira.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
08 Jul 2012   #8
waveon

Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
 
 

Okay, it turns out the problem is more or less unsolved.

The computer started up with the original described problems again, except Avira kept working fine this time (which might have been the virus, so lucky catch). So I immediately started up in safe mode and scanned with Malwarebytes again. It found nothing.
So I started it up normal and to my surprise it worked normal again. I did a few reboots as tests, where all worked fine. Then I discovered something; I unplugged my headphone when I started Malwarebytes. So I plugged my headphone in (in front side of the computer, not directly in motherboard) and started it up; the problems reoccurred again, so the problem is my headphone. Well, half of it.

I remembered that the day before this started, I plugged in the audio cables of my Wii component cables in my line-in port (backside of the computer, directly in the motherboard). So I did some tests with these cables and the headphone, and got to the conclusion that the problem occurs when both these cables are plugged in. When one or none of them are plugged in everything goes fine. This is only for the start-up, after that I can plug them both in without any problems.

Now the obvious solution is to either unplug one of them before start-up or plug the component cables in my monitor again (and thus get bad sound). But I obviously want to have them both plugged in and start up without any problems.
It might be also worth to note that I've set the line-in port to direct the sound to my headphone. Else I wouldn't hear the sound going in the line-in, so maybe that could be something to do with this?

So yeah, any ideas for why this happens and how to solve this?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
09 Jul 2012   #9
bryantjt13

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

I have the same issue except its when I plug in my Microsoft Lifecam, just started last night when I installed it, I've never had any issues like this before so I would be interested to hear the solution to this as well
My System SpecsSystem Spec
09 Jul 2012   #10
bryantjt13

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Ok, I take that back, Its from my line in from my xbox...
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Computer suddenly slow and starts up with non-changeable classic theme




Thread Tools





Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Computer suddenly starts acting weird and becomes unuseable
I go to restart my pc (nothing new) then when it tries to start up. Takes ages. At least 3 minutes to get to desktop! Rather than the usual 15 seconds or so (bad guess) And when it gets to the desktop. I can do like 1-2 things. Open task manager for a few seconds (Nothing unusual there. Normal...
Performance & Maintenance
Computer suddenly slow - Urgent! :(
Hello! I decided to go to the LAN party my friends hosted, and when I had rigged my PC and started up a game called League of Legends I got super bad FPS. I quickly understood that the game wasn't the problem, but when I scan for malware and viruses it ends up with nothing major. The SSD is not...
Hardware & Devices
Windows theme suddenly changed into classic and slows down
So I was watching some youtube videos with mozilla and then all of the sudden the screen flashes, turns into classic theme, slows down my pc a bit (cpu usage suddenly >50%). This happened for like a minute and then everything back to normal again. This never happens to me before. Can anybody...
Performance & Maintenance
My Computer shut down suddenly and starts dumping physical memory
Plz tell my is this diagnosis is right?? or not??
BSOD Help and Support
Computer screen suddenly starts ghosting
Good day to you all and i thank you for taking time to look at my dilemma . I am not sure whether this qualifies as a crash problem as i have never encountered a BSOD but i suspect that it is the closet sign to it. Well i have an hp pavilion g7 1251si laptop with i5-2430M 4Gb RAM 64bit OS win 7...
BSOD Help and Support
Computer uses classic theme after update
I did run into an annoying thing, by mistake was that European browser selection "upgrade" installed into a PC running win7 32 pro. After this, the computer uses the classic theme as default instead of Aero and I can't figure out how to force the PC into using Aero as default once more. I have...
Themes and Styles

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 22:56.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App