Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: bcd/bcdedit problems and others after Acronis DD11

14 Jul 2012   #101
Kaktussoft

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bits 7601 Multiprocessor Free Service Pack 1
 
 

Please check State: [5] Waiting for completion if it still exist.
  • after reboot
  • just after creating restore point
  • 15 minutes after creating restore point
Don't know if it's normal but I never saw it on my laptop.

Once again check you event log for errors. atapi errors?


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
14 Jul 2012   #102
gregrocker

 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Kaktussoft View Post
Why did you do a reapir install??? Eventid 9 is just a problem with the driver! Solution: C300 Disk Freeze-ups in Windows 7 solved... - Crucial Community
I advised a Repair Install and then if necessary Clean Reinstall because there is clearly a deep level of corruption in the OS which will not be solved by running endless commands in another 10 page thread that leads nowhere.

If the Repair Install did not solve the Restore Points corruption it means it is not within the OS since that was reinstalled, but a program setting which is carried over during a Repair Install.

You can continue to suffer through another one of these ten page threads running endless commands which may patch one problem to then have another pop up a day later as you've been experiencing, or you can prepare now to get the vastly superior Clean Reinstall - Factory OEM Windows 7 following the same steps in this tutorial to install and maintain it perfectly. Then save a backup image so you never have to reinstall again.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
14 Jul 2012   #103
Kaktussoft

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bits 7601 Multiprocessor Free Service Pack 1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by gregrocker View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Kaktussoft View Post
Why did you do a reapir install??? Eventid 9 is just a problem with the driver! Solution: C300 Disk Freeze-ups in Windows 7 solved... - Crucial Community
I advised a Repair Install and then if necessary Clean Reinstall because there is clearly a deep level of corruption in the OS which will not be solved by running endless commands in another 10 page thread that leads nowhere.

If the Repair Install did not solve the Restore Points corruption it means it is not within the OS since that was reinstalled, but a program setting which is carried over during a Repair Install.

You can continue to suffer through another one of these ten page threads running endless commands which may patch one problem to then have another pop up a day later as you've been experiencing, or you can prepare now to get the vastly superior Clean Reinstall - Factory OEM Windows 7 following the same steps in this tutorial to install and maintain it perfectly. Then save a backup image so you never have to reinstall again.
Even better do a clean install as dual boot and test. I think the problems are hardware related!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

14 Jul 2012   #104
gregrocker

 

That's a good idea. Shrink C by about 20gb in Disk Mgmt: Partition or Volume - Shrink

Boot the Win7 installer to Clean Reinstall to the new space allowing the installer to format the partition.

Install and set it up according to best practices in tutorial only so you have a perfect baseline install, then see if problems replicate.

However this test will still lack a cleaned boot sector which may also be interfering. Diskpart Clean Command

What hardware do you think could cause these problems?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
14 Jul 2012   #105
Kaktussoft

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bits 7601 Multiprocessor Free Service Pack 1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by gregrocker View Post
That's a good idea. Shrink C by about 20gb in Disk Mgmt: Partition or Volume - Shrink

Boot the Win7 installer to Clean Reinstall to the new space allowing the installer to format the partition.

Install and set it up according to best practices in tutorial only so you have a perfect baseline install, then see if problems replicate.

However this test will still lack a cleaned boot sector which may also be interfering. Diskpart Clean Command

What hardware do you think could cause these problems?
See post #82
My System SpecsSystem Spec
14 Jul 2012   #106
front360

Windows 7 SP1 Home Premium x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Kaktussoft View Post
Please check State: [5] Waiting for completion if it still exist.
  • after reboot
  • just after creating restore point
  • 15 minutes after creating restore point
Don't know if it's normal but I never saw it on my laptop.Once again check you event log for errors. atapi errors?
Yes, an atapi and volsnap error

(After 15 Minutes)Only these are state 5:
Writer name: 'MSSearch Service Writer'
Writer Id: {cd3f2362-8bef-46c7-9181-d62844cdc0b2}
Writer Instance Id: {f9dc1d01-a394-49ee-802a-f0d653390f87}
State: [5] Waiting for completion
Last error: No error
Writer name: 'WMI Writer'
Writer Id: {a6ad56c2-b509-4e6c-bb19-49d8f43532f0}
Writer Instance Id: {d375f23c-3acf-4d45-aeb5-2427d5d5fcb8}
State: [5] Waiting for completion
Last error: No error
My System SpecsSystem Spec
14 Jul 2012   #107
Kaktussoft

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bits 7601 Multiprocessor Free Service Pack 1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by front360 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Kaktussoft View Post
Please check State: [5] Waiting for completion if it still exist.
  • after reboot
  • just after creating restore point
  • 15 minutes after creating restore point
Don't know if it's normal but I never saw it on my laptop.Once again check you event log for errors. atapi errors?
Yes, an atapi and volsnap error

(After 15 Minutes)Only these are state 5:
Writer name: 'MSSearch Service Writer'
Writer Id: {cd3f2362-8bef-46c7-9181-d62844cdc0b2}
Writer Instance Id: {f9dc1d01-a394-49ee-802a-f0d653390f87}
State: [5] Waiting for completion
Last error: No error
Writer name: 'WMI Writer'
Writer Id: {a6ad56c2-b509-4e6c-bb19-49d8f43532f0}
Writer Instance Id: {d375f23c-3acf-4d45-aeb5-2427d5d5fcb8}
State: [5] Waiting for completion
Last error: No error
State: [5] Waiting for completion
for ever? even after 1 hour wait and doing about nothing? Also after a reboot?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
14 Jul 2012   #108
Kaktussoft

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bits 7601 Multiprocessor Free Service Pack 1
 
 

Still Yes, an atapi and volsnap errors under have disk load?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
14 Jul 2012   #109
Kaktussoft

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bits 7601 Multiprocessor Free Service Pack 1
 
 

Please do what was advice in port #104 to prove problems asre also there on a fresh win7
But most important is ... make full backup to be sure everything has been saved!

So make it dual boot with a fresh install
My System SpecsSystem Spec
14 Jul 2012   #110
front360

Windows 7 SP1 Home Premium x64
 
 

FWI, after an hour still State: [5], but after reboot all are State: [1] Stable. Also after reboot my restore points are still there. I can't figure out when exactly they are dissappearing and what is causing this.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 bcd/bcdedit problems and others after Acronis DD11




Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
BCDEDIT - How to Use
How to Use the BCDEDIT Command Line Tool This will show you how to use BCDEDIT in the command prompt and avoid the need of third party applications like EasyBCD.Bcdedit is a really powerful tool that Windows Vista and Windows 7 uses to manage the boot loader entries. BCDEDIT needs a boot...
Tutorials
BootMGR - BCDEDIT
I dont understand why im installing W7 in a second hard drive, The temporary installation source X:\windowsis present. After copying installation files, SSD Is ready to be installed. After rebooting,the old hdd has the new bootmgr of the SSD. Im saying this because my present Windows is in...
Installation & Setup
Macrium / Acronis problems so using IFW from terabyte
Hi there On Windows 8 I couldn't get Macrium free to work properly when backing up an SSD to a USB3 external disk. I know this is W7 but some people will be testing W8 too so they will want a backup mechanism that works both on W7 and W8. I've had too many issues with Acronis to continue to...
Backup and Restore
Acronis users - Upgrade to Acronis Home 2011
Hi there For current Acronis users the upgrade to 2011 IMO is well worth the small price (approx 25 EUR). New USB 3.0 support, direct conversion of .tib into .vhd files (great for P2V and V2P conversions of Virtual Machines) plus all the other stuff you would expect from a robust backup...
Backup and Restore
no path in bcdedit
I have Win 7 64 bit build 7100 installed. While checking on a problem, I opened BCD and noticed that there is no path line. Is this a problem? If so, how do I repair it? Screen captures of the BCD and disk manager are attached.
General Discussion
bcdedit
Opening as elevated permission however it comes back saying the requested system device could not be found.
Installation & Setup


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:45.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App