Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Caps Lock malfunction


26 Jul 2012   #1

 
Caps Lock malfunction

On my dell Studio Laptop the Caps Lock will go to Caps, but won't return to lower case. I have Mint Linux on a partition (where I'm now typing) and it works fine; so I assume it's a windows 7 thing. If I hit the shift key along with a dash it will go lowercase.

My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

26 Jul 2012   #2

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Win 7 Pro 64-bit
 
 

Don't know if this will help or not but go to Control Panel > Region and Language > Keyboards and Languages tab > Change Keyboards... button. In the new dialog box that opens, click the Advanced Key Settings tab. Make sure that in the "To turn off Caps Lock" section you have selected "Press the CAPS LOCK key".
My System SpecsSystem Spec
26 Jul 2012   #3

 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by marsmimar View Post
Don't know if this will help or not but go to Control Panel > Region and Language > Keyboards and Languages tab > Change Keyboards... button. In the new dialog box that opens, click the Advanced Key Settings tab. Make sure that in the "To turn off Caps Lock" section you have selected "Press the CAPS LOCK key".
Yes already did that.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


26 Jul 2012   #4

Windows 7 Ultimate x86 build 7600 (XP, 98SE, 95, 3.11, DOS 7.10 on VM) + Ubuntu 10.04 LTS Lucid Lynx
 
 

Think the Sticky Keys may be the culprit.

Type "Ease of Access Center" in the Start Menu and press ENTER
Go to "Make the keyboard easier to use" at the bottom.
Click on "Set Up Sticky Keys"
Check if the "Lock modifier keys when pressed twice in a row"

This could be the problem here.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
27 Jul 2012   #5

 

[QUOTE=gladson1976;2025449]Think the Sticky Keys may be the culprit.

Type "Ease of Access Center" in the Start Menu and press ENTER
Go to "Make the keyboard easier to use" at the bottom.
Click on "Set Up Sticky Keys"
Check if the "Lock modifier keys when pressed twice in a row"

This could be the problem here.[/QUOT
NOPE; SOUNDED GOOD, BUT NO CIGAR; THANKS ANYWAYS.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
27 Jul 2012   #6

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Win 7 Pro 64-bit
 
 

How long have you had this problem? If recent (the past few days) have you considered system restore? Do you remember what you were doing just before the problem began (installing a program, playing a game, running Windows Updates, etc?)
My System SpecsSystem Spec
27 Jul 2012   #7

Windows 7 ultimate X 64
 
 

Hi AllanP,

My name is Swapnajan and I work for the Social Media and Community Team at Dell.
Yes, you can definitely try the system restore. Also please go to device manager and find the keyboard uninstall the device by right clicking on the same. Restart the system. You will see the fresh native driver getting loaded for the device.

Thanks & Regards
Dellswapnajan
Dell Social Media Responder
My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 Jul 2012   #8

 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by marsmimar View Post
How long have you had this problem? If recent (the past few days) have you considered system restore? Do you remember what you were doing just before the problem began (installing a program, playing a game, running Windows Updates, etc?)
Good advice and something I should have done when I first notices it; when I thought it was my laptop malfunctioning; until I finally thought to go into Linux and try it there. I can't remember when it started; probably a couple of weeks ago. I have Acronis True Image backups so I guess I can go back to one of those earlier backups. Thanks.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 Jul 2012   #9

 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Dellswapnajan View Post
Hi AllanP,

My name is Swapnajan and I work for the Social Media and Community Team at Dell.
Yes, you can definitely try the system restore. Also please go to device manager and find the keyboard uninstall the device by right clicking on the same. Restart the system. You will see the fresh native driver getting loaded for the device.

Thanks & Regards
Dellswapnajan
Dell Social Media Responder
Did that and now I can't boot at all. I have to find a driver and install it with Windows repair I guess.

Nope. Guess Acronis True Image to the rescue.
Update. Back up and running; still the same. I could have gone back to a previous image, but thought I'd try and find the problem.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Caps Lock malfunction




Thread Tools



Similar help and support threads for2: Caps Lock malfunction
Thread Forum
caps lock problems General Discussion
How to remove Caps Lock Pop-up? General Discussion
Typing in all Caps but Caps lock is disabled - Help Software
Caps lock, num lock, scroll lock screen messages General Discussion
iNTERNATIONAL cAPS lOCK dAY Chillout Room
TrayStatus Displays Indicator of Num Lock, Caps Lock, S News
caps lock and the letter L General Discussion

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:31 AM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33