Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.



Windows 7: Missing data after full install from XP

03 Aug 2012   #1

Win 7 Ultimate x32
 
 
Missing data after full install from XP

Hi,

I'm asking on behalf of a friend who got a wierd problem.

His system have 3 partitions, 2 of which (drive D and E) are dedicated to data. About 2 months ago, he did a full reinstall of his XP system and upgrade to 7. After sometime, for whatever reason, he downgraded his system back to XP. On that system, he did some work and added 50gb+ data to the data partition.

Today, he reformatted the C drive and install 7 again. The funny thing is, the 50gb+ data he added when on XP now missing. All other data is intact. In fact, the state of the 2 data partition is like when he last use 7 before downgrading to XP.

Just to be clear, all his data partition is intact after today's 7 install, only those data (contained on several folders) he added when on XP is missing.

What happened? Can we get those data back? How?

Thanks

My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

03 Aug 2012   #2

Windows 7 Professional x64 Linux Mint 16
 
 

Did you create another partition or was it part of C: ?

Post a shot of Disk Management.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
03 Aug 2012   #3
Lee

Win 7 Pro x64, VM Win XP, Win7 Pro Sandbox, Kubuntu 11
 
 

I would have to say sorry, but no. When ever you get ready to reformat a drive and install a new system you should always ensure your data is in tack.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


03 Aug 2012   #4

Win 7 Ultimate x32
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by AddRAM View Post
Did you create another partition or was it part of C: ?

Post a shot of Disk Management.
No, he just reformat the C drive and not create any new partition. As for the screenshot, I can't get in touch with him for the time being as he's too scared to use the system and connect to the net, afraid it may effect the chances of getting the data back. Maybe tomorrow.

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Lee View Post
I would have to say sorry, but no. When ever you get ready to reformat a drive and install a new system you should always ensure your data is in tack.
Um, I don't know what else to be done to be sure the data is intact. When on XP, we're absolutely sure the data is intact. And it's in our experience installing whatever Windows version (barring 8, and 7 is relatively new to us) that as long as the data is in a different partition, installing new OS won't effect them as it only effect the C drive, and we made a strict rule not putting any data on C. This problem is new to us.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
04 Aug 2012   #5
Lee

Win 7 Pro x64, VM Win XP, Win7 Pro Sandbox, Kubuntu 11
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by jared19 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by AddRAM View Post
Did you create another partition or was it part of C: ?

Post a shot of Disk Management.
No, he just reformat the C drive and not create any new partition. As for the screenshot, I can't get in touch with him for the time being as he's too scared to use the system and connect to the net, afraid it may effect the chances of getting the data back. Maybe tomorrow.

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Lee View Post
I would have to say sorry, but no. When ever you get ready to reformat a drive and install a new system you should always ensure your data is in tack.
Um, I don't know what else to be done to be sure the data is intact. When on XP, we're absolutely sure the data is intact. And it's in our experience installing whatever Windows version (barring 8, and 7 is relatively new to us) that as long as the data is in a different partition, installing new OS won't effect them as it only effect the C drive, and we made a strict rule not putting any data on C. This problem is new to us.
What I meant by my statement is ensure that all files you want to keep are either burned to a DVD/CD, Thumb drive, external HDD, etc.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Missing data after full install from XP





Thread Tools



Similar help and support threads for2: Missing data after full install from XP
Thread Forum
Data D drive full. Can I clear anything from it? Performance & Maintenance
Data D drive is nie on full. How can I free some space? Backup and Restore
MS Picture Viewer Controls Missing in Full Screen Music, Pictures & Video
FO3 Missing Data Folder Gaming
Preserving data: full format proposed.. Microsoft Office
Missing boot menu and missing data partition Installation & Setup
about 10GB missing data General Discussion

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:32 PM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33