Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Folder name(s) said to be too long even when it doesn't


15 Aug 2012   #1

Windows 7 SP1 Ultimate x64 bit
 
 
Folder name(s) said to be too long even when it doesn't

Hi there

long time don't been here ^_^


unfortunately i'm here because i have issue that i need help with (i have two actually but i will make other thread for the second one)


The issue goes like this:

When Windows 7 was out around 2 and half years ago it was fine, after that... around the time that SP1 was out Windows 7 start to gave me alot of folder's name too long errors
even if the folders names are only 2 letters!

i happened to format my pc alot last year and the issue don't seem to be solve and just keep getting worse each day, i'm aware that Windows 7 have a limit of something around 260 letters But it gave me these errors randomly Even when everything is fine and don't allow me to either burn or copy path stuff, it even don't let me see the folder size when the name is "too long"

i discovered more Windows 7's annoying bugs But this is undoubtedly one of the worse i have encountered (if it even count as a bug...)

Do anyone know how to solve it?

It got to the degree that i can't copy patch 40% of my stuff


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

15 Aug 2012   #2

Windows 8.1 Pro (x64)
 
 

It is not the folder name you have to worry about, it is the length of the path of that folder or file. "C:\super\long\path\to\some\unknown\folder\with\a\super\duper\unknown\file.ext"

Anyways...Robocopy it handles long paths.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
15 Aug 2012   #3

Windows 7 SP1 Ultimate x64 bit
 
 

Thanks for reply

However the issue even happened to me in 3 folders at least once or twice....

btw how do i Robocopy and path?

by using CMD?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


15 Aug 2012   #4

Windows 8.1 Pro (x64)
 
 

Robocopy is a command line program yes.
Code:
> robocopy /?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
15 Aug 2012   #5

Windows 7 SP1 Ultimate x64 bit
 
 

I don't really fan of CMD which is why i don't use it alot

By "> robocopy /?" you meant to enter the CMD as admin, write > robocopy /the whole path right?

like > robocopy /C:\ foler/folder/file

how i can path it after it though? and why CMD works while the normal OS options are limit?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
16 Aug 2012   #6

Windows 7 Enterprise 64bit
 
 

The /? switch launches the help file for robocopy, listing the syntax for how to use and all of the available switches. You can find the same information here on TechNet. As logicearth mentioned, the issue is where the path length is over 260 characters including the drive letter C:\, which is three characters, and the null character which terminates a path, leaving 256 characters for the remaining path. Details on the path limitation are provided here on MSDN including information on how to use Long UNC to bypass the limitation.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
17 Aug 2012   #7

Windows 7 SP1 Ultimate x64 bit
 
 

Thanks for the help

however i have hard time to understand it since english is not my first lang and i'm not pc expert

can you please help me by answer the questions i ask and give me the right command line?

questions:

What is robocopy ? i only assumed that it copy path though CMD but don't got exact answer.

what are the commands to copy and path on robocopy/path?

i think i read something in one of the links you gave me that relate to completely turns off support for very long paths (longer than 256 characters), does that mean that with this command i can turns off this annoy limit for good? and there are any risks by doing so?


Why windows are limit to this thing to begin with?

Thanks in advance
My System SpecsSystem Spec
17 Aug 2012   #8

Windows 7 Enterprise 64bit
 
 

Robocopy is the Robust File Copy utility included in versions Windows Vista and newer (and available for Windows versions back to NT as part of the Resource Kit). It is a command line copy utility.

It natively handles long paths, the syntax for a very basic copy operation would be:

robocopy c:\source\folder\ c:\destination\folder\


The /256 switch disables support for long paths during the copy operation, which would defeat the purpose.

The path limit is defined by the file system, you can see a comparison of some of the Windows file systems here on MSDN. To truly understand the limitation would take a further understanding of how a file system interprets data from bits and bytes into files and folders. There is a whole category of the Windows Development Reference dedicated to Data Access and Storage which goes into far further detail, specifically the Local File Systems category. This content is available in other languages as well, if understanding the technical details in English is a difficulty.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
17 Aug 2012   #9

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 7601 Multiprocessor Free Service Pack 1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by egozi44 View Post
I don't really fan of CMD which is why i don't use it alot

By "> robocopy /?" you meant to enter the CMD as admin, write > robocopy /the whole path right?

like > robocopy /C:\ foler/folder/file

how i can path it after it though? and why CMD works while the normal OS options are limit?
There is a GUI that you can download for Robocopy. I don't know how good it is. Download Free Microsoft Robocopy GUI File Transfer Utility
My System SpecsSystem Spec
18 Aug 2012   #10

Windows 7 SP1 Ultimate x64 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by WinOutreach2 View Post
Robocopy is the Robust File Copy utility included in versions Windows Vista and newer (and available for Windows versions back to NT as part of the Resource Kit). It is a command line copy utility.

It natively handles long paths, the syntax for a very basic copy operation would be:

robocopy c:\source\folder\ c:\destination\folder\

The /256 switch disables support for long paths during the copy operation, which would defeat the purpose.

The path limit is defined by the file system, you can see a comparison of some of the Windows file systems here on MSDN. To truly understand the limitation would take a further understanding of how a file system interprets data from bits and bytes into files and folders. There is a whole category of the Windows Development Reference dedicated to Data Access and Storage which goes into far further detail, specifically the Local File Systems category. This content is available in other languages as well, if understanding the technical details in English is a difficulty.

Thanks for the info.

there are still some things i would like to ask:

1.

Quote:
Robocopy is the Robust File Copy utility included in versions Windows Vista and newer (and available for Windows versions back to NT as part of the Resource Kit). It is a command line copy utility.
from what you said Robocopy is a file copy utility that included in windows vista+

this "utility" can be use through CMD? or it have it own utility (since i notice that when i write "Robocopy " in the Start's search, it was able to find the Robocopy utility )


2.

Quote:
The /256 switch disables support for long paths during the copy operation, which would defeat the purpose.


i lost you there, what you meant was that it will not let me to copy paths that are longer from 256 letters at all?

or that it really will stop this limit (which hard for me to believe by now after i read the explanation you gave me about the system interprets data)


3.
Quote:
There is a GUI that you can download for Robocopy. I don't know how good it is. Download Free Microsoft Robocopy GUI File Transfer Utility
By GUI you meant that there is some utility that use the same OS Robocopy and just give it some easier look so even noob like myself could use it?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Folder name(s) said to be too long even when it doesn't




Thread Tools



Similar help and support threads for2: Folder name(s) said to be too long even when it doesn't
Thread Forum
Why does it take so long to open a folder? General Discussion
Solved How long to start populating Prefetch folder? General Discussion
Computer doesn't stay on long enough BSOD Help and Support
File Name(s) Would Be Too Long for the Destination Folder General Discussion
Folder Properties General Tab doesn't show Folder 'Size', 'Contains' General Discussion
Why doesn't the New Folder button create a new folder? General Discussion

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:03 AM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33