Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: windows explorer preview

25 Aug 2012   #1

Windows 7 Professional 64bit
 
 
windows explorer preview pane doesn't stay same size

Hi when I open windows explorer (my documents/my pictures/my music etc...)

The preview panel width changes, sometimes it's really squashed and other times it's too big.

It's not remembering the settings.

This video explains the bug I have much better:



My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

25 Aug 2012   #2

Windows 7 Home Premium 32-Bit - Build 7600 SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by mangoh View Post
Hi when I open windows explorer (my documents/my pictures/my music etc...)

The preview panel width changes, sometimes it's really squashed and other times it's too big.

It's not remembering the settings.

Please see screenshot attatched.
Next time you open it, take your mouse and put it on the edge of the window and stretch it to where you want it. Do this on all sides and next time you open it, it should be the same thing.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
25 Aug 2012   #3

Windows 7 Professional 64bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by bigmck View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by mangoh View Post
Hi when I open windows explorer (my documents/my pictures/my music etc...)

The preview panel width changes, sometimes it's really squashed and other times it's too big.

It's not remembering the settings.

Please see screenshot attatched.
Next time you open it, take your mouse and put it on the edge of the window and stretch it to where you want it. Do this on all sides and next time you open it, it should be the same thing.
Post #1 now has a video.

Hopefully it is explained better than what I said earlier.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


25 Aug 2012   #4
Microsoft MVP

64-bit Windows 8.1 Enterprise
 
 

Hello Mangoh,

By default, the preview pane is universal in all Windows Explorer folders. The preview pane will open the same way in Windows Explorer as the preview pane was in the last Windows Explorer that was closed.

Of course, if you open a folder maximized, the preview pane will be wider than if the folder was not maximized though.

Is this what you are experiencing?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
27 Aug 2012   #5

Windows 7 Professional 64bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Brink View Post
Hello Mangoh,

By default, the preview pane is universal in all Windows Explorer folders. The preview pane will open the same way in Windows Explorer as the preview pane was in the last Windows Explorer that was closed.

Of course, if you open a folder maximized, the preview pane will be wider than if the folder was not maximized though.

Is this what you are experiencing?
Not exactly as my problem occurs randomly i.e. not even opening a folder. Simply opening my documents and closing it and then opening it again will change the width.

The preview pane changes size when it feels like. A quick Google search told me it is a bug

Edit: I've found the bug. It's this

So it seems like the a simple tweak in the registry (shellfolderfix) would help ensure that all folders are being remembered.

I don't want to use a program would much rather use a registry tweak.

Any ideas?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
27 Aug 2012   #6
Microsoft MVP

64-bit Windows 8.1 Enterprise
 
 

That's doesn't apply to the preview pane, but to the size and position of a window from a opened folder instead.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
27 Aug 2012   #7

Windows 7 Professional 64bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Brink View Post
That's doesn't apply to the preview pane, but to the size and position of a window from a opened folder instead.
Apologies meant this link
My System SpecsSystem Spec
27 Aug 2012   #8
Microsoft MVP

64-bit Windows 8.1 Enterprise
 
 

No problem.

There doesn't appear to be a solid fix, but a few workarounds for when it happens. You might see how using the "Computer" icon on the taskbar may work instead of the default Windows Explorer that opens to libraries.

Computer - Pin to Taskbar
My System SpecsSystem Spec
27 Aug 2012   #9

Windows 7 Professional 64bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Brink View Post
No problem.

There doesn't appear to be a solid fix, but a few workarounds for when it happens. You might see how using the "Computer" icon on the taskbar may work instead of the default Windows Explorer that opens to libraries.

Computer - Pin to Taskbar
Thanks for your help

Much appreciated.

I searched and searched and the real answer is atm there is no fix

Such a shame, 3 years on and MS haven't fixed this issue.

There seems to be two seperate issues.

1) Resizing windows and position of windows not being remembered

2) Preview pane size not being remembered

My issue was number 2 and I had to use a workaround (see above post)

More recent thread on issue number 2
My System SpecsSystem Spec
27 Aug 2012   #10
Microsoft MVP

64-bit Windows 8.1 Enterprise
 
 

You're welcome. Hopefully a permanent fix will be available one day.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 windows explorer preview




Thread Tools



Similar help and support threads for2: windows explorer preview
Thread Forum
Can't preview pdf docs in Windows Explorer General Discussion
Windows Explorer Folder Preview Thumbnails - XP style? General Discussion
Windows Explorer Preview Issue General Discussion
Onenote and Windows Explorer Preview Microsoft Office
PDF Thumbnail Preview in Windows Explorer Software
Image preview in windows explorer General Discussion
Windows Explorer Preview issues General Discussion

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:15 PM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33